Are there any diving specific accident publications with stats, case-studies, and best practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... revised best practices, etc. regarding accidents...

IMHO, you are currently reading the most up to date resource on best practices regarding accidents. This SB section is a very valuable resource of actions NOT TO TAKE that can help prevent your death. It does take some time to sift thru and data mine the gems(lessons), but it's a great section for continuous learning. The only better learning option would be to take refresher courses with an instructor.

Zero'ing further into your main question of condensed incident reports, I'd add to the others listed above,,, IUCRR. Although they don't do it any longer publicly, they still have available incident reports from cave accidents from prior years.
Incident List - IUCRR

Yes, it's really just an accident list for rebreather deaths. No advice is offered, also there are many of entries for "scant data"and "unknown".

It's not worthless, but it's hard to make use of it. For example, to determine whether a given RB has more problems than others requires that you know how many are in use vs others and how many dives are made with them relative to others, etc. Generally this requires data that isn't available from anyone.

Okay, what does it say on the case of wes skiles? "Rebreather is ****", what has been found on studies, "he had no training". The rebreather was deemed safe in court. Interestingly, Brad Horn, responsible for this list, lost the case in court. He never updated the list to reflect that, while he is aware of it. He is regularly reminded of this case as well.

It also already has a conclusion on why Rob Stewart died...

Worthless is the correct word.

Interestingly, Brad Horn, responsible for this list, lost the case in court. He never updated the list to reflect that, while he is aware of it. He is regularly reminded of this case as well.
Mate, I have nothing to do with the ownership nor publication of the DL accident list.

Sure I have provided feedback on it and gone through it a few times. But you are claiming something else entirely!!!

I am however happy to serve as a 3rd party if anyone doesn't want to email DL direct.

BTW so noting the WS RB was functioning exactly as it was designed to do - it was - what was the root cause that caused WS death? Court case's results typically don't cover this!
His checklist indicated everything was right with the unit predive and IIRC it didn't alarm while he was on it.
Days later another diver suffered identical issue, just Hyperoxic rather than Hypoxic diving the same waters.
Later Independent studies found water blocked cells - as is obvious with hindsight - cause the PPO2 the diver breathes to be different to that displayed! An important fact, no!

Mate, I have nothing to do with the ownership nor publication of the DL accident list.
Okay, this is gonna be swift...

Deeplife claims: "“Apocalypse Type IV Rebreather”, “BlindEye”, “Deep Life”, “DLL”, “Firebird Crypto-Analysis”, “Incursion Rebreather” and “Open Revolution”, are trademarks of Deep Life Design Team or Deep Life Ltd (IBC)." Interesting, "Apocalypse type IV Rebreather".

Now let's look at what OpenSafety sells... They sell an Apocalypse Type IV Rebreather, but surely there's no link AT ALL between OS and DeepLife, right? They're really can't be any link, I mean, DL is totally independent, no bias whatsoever in their "analysis".

You've been called out on this before, years ago already.

but surely there's no link AT ALL between OS and DeepLife, right? They're really can't be any link, I mean, DL is totally independent, no bias whatsoever in their "analysis".
Mate, Really that's your connection!

There are a lot more connections between DL and OSEL than that, but they are not ones I share!

Your also failing to think, let alone read why about DL maintain the accident list. It is a Functional Safety requirement required of the CE certification OSEL have for their rebreathers to EN 61508 that accident data be tracked and published. That accident data has and continues to directly influence rebreather design.

Now a lot of elements that DL flag in their list are already covered in the design standards: low WOB, retaining straps unmanned testing before shipping to customers, BOV etc etc. If divers are getting RBs without these known basics, who is being shortchanged and at risk!

but sometimes more interesting elements have come out. Previously it might have been CO2 bypass. More recently it seems to have been why are divers dying of Hypoxia on 'perfectly functioning' {but seemingly untested cause no results of any testing are public} rebreathers: this is across makes and not specific unit dependent, in my observation.

Last edited:
Mate, Really that's your connection!

There are a lot more connections between DL and OSEL than that, but they are not ones I share!

Your also failing to think, let alone read why about DL maintain the accident list. It is a Functional Safety requirement required of the CE certification OSEL have for their rebreathers to EN 61508 that accident data be tracked and published. That accident data has and continues to directly influence rebreather design.
Now a lot of elements that DL flag in their list are already covered in the design standards: low WOB, retaining straps unmanned testing before shipping to customers etc etc but sometimes more interesting elements have come out. More recently it has been why are divers dying of Hypoxia on 'perfectly functioning' {but seemingly untested cause no results of any testing are public} rebreathers: this is across makes and not specific unit dependent, in my observation.
There we are, thanks for confirming that indeed DL is pretty much part of OSEL. So what we have is simple. A rebreather manufacturer (OSEL) makes a "sister company" (DL) that publishes a list and analysis of rebreather accidents. Unsurprisingly, this list will almost always point out "rebreather design fault". Now let's take the case of Wes Skiles, because those 25$ millions surely must have seem interesting to you. You lost the case in court, the court ruled to rebreather to not be responsible of the death of Wes Skiles, your list still shows "rebreather design fault". I don't care how much you believe you know more about rebreathers than anyone in the world, if it were the case, you wouldn't have had any issue showing it was a fault, yet you didn't.

Wes Skiles wrongful death suit - Page 6

So there we have it, the warning about the list is out, now people are free to still believe it's useful if they really want to, but sometimes a little context helps :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom