Are trim and buoyancy fundamentally related?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sometimes get a sense of vertigo but never any physical discomforts. However I've not yet encountered a practical reason to invert myself to such an extreme angle.

However I've not yet encountered a practical reason to invert myself to such an extreme angle.
Fossils on the roofs of caves. Absolute coolness.

An example not related to trim is airplanes. They are clearly not neutrally buoyant. However, they manage to fly in trim position. They do this using thrust from the engines and the angle of the wings.
Please let me know what you think.

I think some of them fly quite well without engines and I could swear it wasn't the angle of the wings that does the trick. Most of the time.

I saw your original post which sparked this question. The more alarming thing that I read in that original thread was the comment that buoyancy and trim are just "a nice party trick and not the most important thing in the world". o_O

I think some of them fly quite well without engines and I could swear it wasn't the angle of the wings that does the trick. Most of the time.
You won't get far flying one with a negative angle of attack.

Whenever I invert myself like that, my chest feels crushed, it becomes hard to breathe, and water goes up my nose... Eventually I lose my sense of neutral buoyancy, sink and hurt my ears due to equalization.

Why would you get water up your nose? I feel a bit of tension in my head when hanging upside-down -- I guess blood knows that gravity is thataway even if the body feels weightless -- and I had a rental reg breathe slightly moist once or twice, but never water in my mask.

Sure you would, you just have to move to Australia first.

as in life

Airplanes are a horrible example. To apply that to diving, are divers go to have wings that will keep them from sinking thanks to the pressure differences when going forward? And when a diver stops moving, what happens then?

How planes work | the science of flight

Back
Top Bottom