Are we wrong to be different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beware, some people were reporting some wonky stuff going on with them and it just required a battery change since they've been sitting for a while *new old stock*, so may want to replace the battery before you take it diving. All of the reports have said that fixed it. Also there is no manual, but the Nitek Trio from Dive Rite is close enough to get the basics and the rest is trial and error.... Worth it for the cheap price though

I dive with a Zoop and my husband has a Leonardo.
We have about 150 dive each total and are still diving our air, not deco time, but there seems to be very little difference between them when we compare.
He is familiar enough with mine to use it and I am good with his too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you get one computer that is more "conservative" than the other, you are going to be stuck with the shorter NDL (...) So, you really need to have the same algorithm.

I'd like to point out that if the OP buys two identical computers of the more conservative variety, the OP will still be stuck with shorter NDLs... it stands to reason that it's not the computers being different that's causing the inconvenience.

People seem to be focusing on the fact that you probably get different NDLs. But unless you dive holding hands, this may happen anyway. My favorite dive buddy and I can have very different profiles on the same dive. He may stay deeper longer than I do or he may stay more shallow than me on most of the dive. If you go somewhere where they offer three dives a day and you or your wife sits out the middle dive (I've done this) but does the third dive, you'll have different NDLs. So, I don't think that different NDL algorithms make a whole lot of difference. Just my 2¢.

Me and my wife use two different computers (sherwood insight and hollis dg03). They both have similar features but they use different algorithms if i'm not mistaken. However the algorithms are not so different that we've ever had to end a dive because of one of our computers going into deco before the other. They are usually very close together, seperated by maybe a minute or two of no deco time. We try not to go into single digits deco and never go below 6 mins.

The Leonardo is a one button computer which is enough reason to avoid it.

What, your motor control isn't fine enough to do short press/long press?

Leonardo shows current depth, ND time remaining and elapsed dive time, which is all I really want to see. The "alternate" screen shows max depth, I don't think I ever looked at that during a dive. "Press and hold" turns on backlight, that's the only use I have for the button underwater. Or you can just shine a light at it instead, done that too.

The choice of whether to go with liberal or conservative algorithms on both computers is not the inconvenience, but rather is up to the preference of the divers, but I think it is best for both to be the same if they are a constant buddy team.
The inconvenience comes when one diver has a more liberal algorithm, which gives a statistically safe longer NDL, but is required to follow a shorter NDL due to the risk of lock-out on the more conservative computer.
The OP's question asked for information, and it seemed he was not familiar with this issue of different algorithms. Plainly, once you get more knowledge you can adapt based on what you know.

it is also certainly true that "real world" actions, such as diving different profiles during a dive, or one buddy skipping a dive, will create a large divergence in NDLs.

It is true that, over one or two dives, there might not be much divergence between some different algorithms if the buddies stick close together. But, this is not true in all cases, and also, it can change in unpredictable ways with more intense repetitive diving.

Anything is possible, including buddies learning to dive with computers running different algorithms. None of this is unsafe or "wrong", I was just explaining what is optimal in terms of convenience to someone who is starting out.

Because we are new to the "computer diving", we were thinking of getting different models/brands so we could see what we liked or disliked when making a more informed purchasing decision for the upgrade that we would buy next.

I did buy the Zeagel N2ition, so now just need to decide on the other, lol.

What about other functions, on the surface: setting the date and time, viewing dive tables for dive planning, reviewing the log, etc etc. Yes you can deal with it, but why when there is so much competition with easier menu navigation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom