Are we wrong to be different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They used to back in 2004 or so. Suunto claims that some of their computers, including the Zoop use a (proprietary) RGBM model.

I'm not sure I entirely believe it but that's what they say.

From my very vague and fuzzy impression of it I suspect you may have to dive with a maxed-out multi-core compute server to run the actual model anywhere near fast enough and a 5kW power plant to feed it. What you'd typically do is work out a formula that gives you a close enough approximation of the real thing while being simple enough so DC's microprocessor can crunch it on time.

Leonardo runs "proprietary RGBM" too. From my experience, after a week of vacation diving: air, 3-4 al80s/day, at around 80'-ish or above, I will see an NDL of less than 99 maybe on the last day if I go deeper than 80'. ("99" is "no NDL": the max it can show on its 2-digit display.)

I can't offer any advice on those two computers, but if you're wife isn't a "read the manual" type, I'd strongly recommend getting the same computer, especially if you're not diving all that often, and hence prone to forget how to operate the device.

My wife and I dive once or twice a year together, and she never remembers how to set her gas mix, see the temperature, etc. I'm essentially her "owners manual" and I'm not sure if want to have to learn and remember two different computers.

We also dive AI so having the same computer (or at least the same brand) lets us use the same transmitters should we want a spare or carry spare batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sound advice, my wife is not a "read the manual" type and I am very grateful that we dive the same computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom