Are you labelled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
In reading the articles associated with the body found on wreck thread, I was struck with one statement that indicated that the divers who found the victim knew it was him, as he had a belt with his last name on it.

It got me thinking -- is my equipment labelled in such a way that I could be identified should something like this happen?

I realized that although I've got various (usually small) identifying marks on some equipment, there's nothing real obvious that "shouts" my name.

I'll be changing that soon.

So my question to you is "Are you labelled so you can be identified?"

Since you mentioned it ..no I am not. Funny how I label all my travel bags inside and out, I even put a copy of my passport inside my luggage when I travel. But my equipment does not have my name anywhere on it.
Thanks. I'm going to get to it this weekend.

I think I will put my name and contact info in my wetnotes, which is always with me when I dive. I do have my name written on the battery in my canister light.

If you are a member of DAN, you can get a plastic tag with your name and some basic medical information on it. Mine is attached to my BC.

sapphire

Name stenciled on most of my gear with either sharpie, paint pen, or paint..

It's a good idea to have equipment marked with your name, especially tanks. However, I'm more concerned with myself and other being able to keep track of what's mine while I'm alive.

Good point. Some of us have tattoos, but their legibility depends on the time frame, I would think.

Time to buy one of those new silver Sharpies!

I have my first and last name on my First and second stages, fins and tank. My reason was to prevent mix ups or theft, but you have a good point about body ID.

I hope I never need it for "any" of those reasons..........

Scott

Most of my gear is plastered with my initials. My wife makes fun of me for it. I do it so I can easily pick my gear out of the pile if it's ever lumped together with other people's gear on a dive boat after a dive. I never really thought about it for body identification. This just gives me one more reason to continue the practice.

I think my bc has my full name but the rest of my gear has just my initials paint penned on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom