Aren't "Trips and Local Marketplace" threads supposed to be for trip announcements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,

if you have an idea how to word the descriptions better, I would be glad to entertain that.

The fact of the matter is that while posting trips and such in the general forum is not allowed, a lot of the examples you gave concern a particular trip and advice in general. If a person puts a thread in a particular spot, then we are probably going to let it stay UNLESS they ask it to be moved. We just don't get into micromanagement and feel that the OP has certain rights when it comes to where there thread is placed. If you see a particularly egregious thread, feel free to suggest moving it to the OP. They can contact us if they decide they want that to happen.

I made a suggestion for rewording a couple posts above.

Don's point was to make a wording change to help people get their threads in the right place to begin with, and in someplace they're more likely to be answered. To help prevent the need for micromanagement.

Advertising implies commercial? Posting implies - anyone is welcome to post. IMO

I made a suggestion for rewording a couple posts above.

Don's point was to make a wording change to help people get their threads in the right place to begin with, and in someplace they're more likely to be answered. To help prevent the need for micromanagement.
Yep, that looked good to me. Simply better label the intent of the Trips forums so that those who read directions will see that it's the wrong place to ask about their private plans. As it is now, private trips are posted so much in the Trips forums that even tho they are largely ignored and often less answered, others follow suite.
Advertising implies commercial? Posting implies - anyone is welcome to post. IMO
I am surprised that you still don't understand.

I don't understand - because you're not offering a suggestion. You're claiming there's a problem, yet not explaining your problem clearly. After reading this whole thread again, I think the solution may be to add, "General questions about this region should be posted in the regional forum" but again if there's only like 5 mistakes, what makes you think that people are reading the forum description anyway? I regularly move posts to the correct forum from I&G to Basic Scuba... from Basic Scuba to Site Support, as the case may be.

IOW. Adding more verbiage to further confuse the issue may just be more confusion, and still the problem will most likely persist, since many "new posters" don't read "the rules" before they post anyway.

I don't understand - because you're not offering a suggestion. You're claiming there's a problem, yet not explaining your problem clearly.
Sorry if my explanation was not clear, but...
1: People are posting threads requesting info on destinations for their private trips in sub forums designed for posting organized trips open to others. Damselfish and others got it.

2: I offered a suggestion; Damselfish offered a good descriptions to use.​
After reading this whole thread again, I think the solution may be to add, "General questions about this region should be posted in the regional forum"
I like that. Add it to Damselfish's statement.
but again if there's only like 5 mistakes,
No, there are many mistakes. I just posted 5 examples. It's an ongoing problem.
what makes you think that people are reading the forum description anyway? I regularly move posts to the correct forum from I&G to Basic Scuba... from Basic Scuba to Site Support, as the case may be.
I know. It is not a cure; just a treatment that could help.
IOW. Adding more verbiage to further confuse the issue may just be more confusion, and still the problem will most likely persist, since many "new posters" don't read "the rules" before they post anyway.
When the directions are more clear, others will help point out the directions I hope, so there will be fewer bad examples.

Even if it fails, it's still the right thing to do I think.

I like the caveat that Howard wrote, however the difference between post and advertise is a mere nuance. We have a number of these to change, so we will probably just add the sentence.

Heck...I rarely know where I'm reading a post from...I either search for key words or I just go through the new posts...

I like the caveat that Howard wrote, however the difference between post and advertise is a mere nuance. We have a number of these to change, so we will probably just add the sentence.
Ok, that would help. I like Damselfish's idea, but let's try something.
Heck...I rarely know where I'm reading a post from...I either search for key words or I just go through the new posts...
Many do it that way. Some of us have favorite forums on our Usercp and visit those more. There are some I avoid.
I stop in Cozumel forum for example, to see if there is a thread I might help with.

I don't look in Trips forums as I am not looking to join a group trip, but then have noticed some top of the list threads in those that were not open trip.​

yeah i have a favorite forum....it's called scubaboard....I like to try to participate in all of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom