Article on Death In Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old or sick people in Australia can have their death certificates signed by their treating doctor. The police are not involved unless something untoward has happened.

My comment about correct information is one related to whether the correct information is what we are hearing. I have personally been involved in cases where what was published in papers and spread as "fact" by divers on forums was, in fact, not correct. Unless it is from a first hand source who actually witness (and remembered correctly) what happened, then it may not be correct.

I realise that some places do have organisations that investigate, for example, Canada and Florida and I think cave diving in Australia. BSAC in UK also seems to investigate based on reports I have seen them published.

Police are pretty good at judging people's truthfulness and whether their various stories jibe with each other.

+1 for the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

You still would not see it if someone did not report it to DAN. DAN does not search accident reports from the police, fire, etc. They rely on news reports and the reports of average divers. They are a great organization but they do not have the resources many think they do.

This is why all of the accident stats should be taken with a grain of salt. I have had several discussions in person with Dan Orr before he left the DAN organization about those reports. They are incomplete and based mostly on what was reported to them by divers. They should be viewed and used as what they actually are. Lessons on what not to do and what to do in order to mitigate risk. The stats don't always reflect the actual numbers when it comes to accidents. No one knows for example how many divers in the certed ten years category that had problems were active divers or just the once a year one or two dives on vacation type. The number of years certed in this case is meaningless.

Even their accident analysis rarely, if ever, involves actually going out and taking statements and doing an on site analysis. They may make a phone call to the local authorities or request a report. But many times it's the person who notifies them of the accident who does that. No official body sends them info unsolicited.

Hey G... Would you let it go if you found out Carlos' equipment was confiscated by the police and HELD FOR MONTHS?

Hey G... Would you let it go if you found out Carlos' equipment was confiscated by the police and HELD FOR MONTHS?

If it were confiscated even for 1 day (and tested by a proper Lab) that would have been brilliant!

Police SUCKS big time, sometimes.

The tanks were tested on the scene by completely reputable individuals who were qualified to do so. This is one of the most open and shut cases of diver error that has ever existed and to imply s anything else is ludicrous.

It is my understanding, from multiple sources, that the equipment Carlos was using was taken by the police and not retuned to the owners (including but not limited to his widow) for several months.

Around these parts, when it comes to dive accidents, if someone they have worked with on numerous occasions measures the gas contents and tells them it is 99.5% (for example) there would be no reason to assume they were lying. Bit I can not say what the police did or did not do after equipment was in their possession.

The tanks were tested on the scene by completely reputable individuals who were qualified to do so.

First and last name and qualifications, please.

Details, if possible, of equipment used, and date and copy of last calibration certification of the equipment.

Gases tested?

98% O2 (so they said...), but please provide at least content of remaining 2%.

:D

Details, if possible, of equipment used, and date and copy of last calibration certification of the equipment.

Gases tested?

And what right have you to ask these questions, unless you are simply stirring the pot ("trolling")?

98% O2 (so they said...), but please provide at least content of remaining 2%.
Does it matter, if he toxed from the high O2 content? If it was CO, CO2 it could not have been a harmful amount or he wouldn't have made it as far in as he did. If it was N2 or He would it have mattered?

And what right have you to ask these questions, unless you are simply stirring the pot ("trolling")?

Does it matter, if he toxed from the high O2 content? If it was CO, CO2 it could not have been a harmful amount or he wouldn't have made it as far in as he did. If it was N2 or He would it have mattered?

It could have been 98% Air and 2% CO for all we know.

Evidence at the scene should have been secured, witness statements taken, and a certified Lab run the gas analysis with proper equipment and personnel.

BUT I suspect you will not agree... this being an internet forum.

Wow. I didn't know you was the guy responsible for QC/QA of US police investigation procedures. I guess I have to congratulate you on your new job (and offer my sincere condolences to said police investigators...)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

---------- Post added February 8th, 2015 at 06:45 PM ----------

It could have been 98% Air and 2% CO for all we know.

Now, you've either taken permanent residennce under a bridge, lost every milligram of reading comprehension you've ever possessed, or had at least a dozen too many.

R u srs?

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom