Aruba For Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read all the stories about the boarish behavior by Carlos and still choose to use them for tanks and weights. I have been on boat rides with them, but from what I've seen, Carlos doesn't go on the boat any more. The advantage I see in Mermaids is that he runs the shop out of his house and so he or his wife are always there. It is very convenient to Palm and Eagle Beach hotels and at $10 per tank, its not out of line for Aruba. He has a fresh water rinse in front of the house and lets us rinse our gear off while dropping the tanks off. I've used them on four different trips and have not had any extra charges show up

We were in Aruba in May and dove with Mermaid. Friends had taken care of setting everyting up and by the time I had read some of the bad press on here it was too late to make a change. I was very nervous when we first got there, but met Carlos and his wife. Had a great dive trip (6 days) never saw any unauthorized charges or felt uncomfortable around any of the people. The DM was a great guy, lots of fun and we always felt taken care of.

Well maybe Carlos has "changed his ways". If so that's a good thing.

Like I said in my other post, many people have used Mermaid and were happy with them. I'm sure some of the other people working there are great also.

I still think it's good for people to be educated with the history of his operation. In the US, most of his actions would require him to be registered as a sex offender though. While apparantly he has no recent negative activity, I'm doubtfull that a majority of us would be willing to send our wife or teenage daughter on a dive trip through him. Just my 2psi worth.

Hey! I'm Aruba now and dived with Clive and Dive Aruba two days. I couldn't ask for a nicer operator. Small groups and nice long dives. Am diving again Wednesday.

highlandfarmwv:
Hey! I'm Aruba now and dived with Clive and Dive Aruba two days. I couldn't ask for a nicer operator. Small groups and nice long dives. Am diving again Wednesday.

:yelclap:

highlandfarmwv:
highlandfarmerwv
hate to say I told you so but Clives hard to beat, I sure do envy you I really enjoyed diving in Aruba I think diving there is very underrated.
Don't forget to tell Clive that Greg & Deb said hello
Greg

so i just got back from aruba a few days ago and i must say i enjoyed myself, first i dove with pelican and didn't really enjoy it, then i dove with Romeo at Native divers and LOVED it. the food was great the island was nice and i enjoyed my stay

Brian (Auburn):
so i just got back from aruba a few days ago and i must say i enjoyed myself, first i dove with pelican and didn't really enjoy it, then i dove with Romeo at Native divers and LOVED it. the food was great the island was nice and i enjoyed my stay

Fantastic, glad you made the choice to switch. From everything I have ever read or heard of on Aruba, plus going myself and diving with Native, it seems time again it is Native and Clive who come up as the best on the island.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with Red Sail Aruba ?

I dived with them just before Christmas and it was the worst diving experience I have ever had. I am a certified diver, and my son was doing a Discover Scuba course with them. We were staying at the Marriott. The reservations staff told my son to wait at the Marriot surf club pool in the morning. After 30 minutes, no one arrived to begin the course with my son.

He went back to the sales desk and another staff member told him he should have gone to the Hyatt pool, which is a few hotels away on the main strip. Meanwhile, I was waiting to be collected at the Marriot reception to be taken to the Hyatt Pier, and they forgot to pick me up. I complained to the sales staff who were extremely disinterested. But relcuctantly they gave me a free dive.

When I eventually got onto the boat, it was a complete disaster. I tried three tanks before i got one that did not leak or had a good o-ring. The staff seemed very harassed, quite obviously because they had an overfull boat. There were both students and certified divers cramed into one dive, with only two divemasters.

The boat left late, and when it did leave it did not go to the site I had asked for. Again, I complained but got no reaction, never mind an apology from the sales staff. The instructors and divemasters were fantastic, theyeven agreed that the company is a cattle boat operation, and tld us that they were embarrassed.

I then complained to the Manager Peter De Poop or Hoop, who offered us more free dives. Again I gave them another chance. This time the regulator that I borrowed, was free flowing during the first dive. When I asked the staff to change it I was told they had already given the spare to another. I borrowed the instructors Reg for the second dive. Still the boat was over full with divers, and we only got 40 min dives. Although the dive staff were great, I felt that I was on a conveyer belt and that they couldn't wait to get me off the boat. My son said the course was rushed, and did not get a long enough dive.

If you want a good dive do not go with Red Sail.........................

Back
Top Bottom