As Newbie as They Come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye1338

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,

First and foremost, I am a newbie! I am a college student that will be studying abroad in Australia starting in a few weeks. I have always been interested in adventure and the "outdoors" so I decided I would become Open Water Diver Certified (PADI) before I left.

WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF IN TO!?

My idea to get certified started as the desire to just not have to sit through the boring tutorials and trainings in Australia, but I understand that I am already a little hooked to the sport and I haven't even made an ocean dive.

I completed all of the pool dives and the knowledge portion, but due to the fact that I live in Minnesota, it's a bit too cold for the SCUBA company to do Open Water dives this time of year to complete my training. I will be doing them in Nelson Bay, Australia and I can't wait!

I am already getting excited to start doing some of the specializations and my advanced open water. I do realize how ridiculous this seems seeing as I have never actually made a "real" dive, but I can already tell it's gonna be something I get in to.

I have loved reading the forums here (although I can't understand half of the lingo yet) and love how laid back and cool all of the people in the diving community are.

SOOOO...

The reason I am making this post - I understand that there is a lot to take in as a new diver. Are there any suggestions or tips that you more experienced divers have for a newbie like me? Also, are there any of the PADI specializations that you all have done that are just an absolute blast? I am looking at doing Nitrox and Wreck Diving next summer. Those cool ones?

Thanks everybody!

-Nick

As a newbie myself, I don't have much of value to add regarding your questions, but I can tell you I'm a little bit hooked myself. Start buying lottery tickets, because pretty soon you're going to be itching to buy gear... and it never stops.

On an unrelated note, you list Lakeville first as your location, but you consider yourself a Hawkeye? C'mon, now, where's the Golden Gopher love? And GO VIKINGS! (I grew up in Rosemount...)

Enjoy diving, and enjoy Australia! I'm jealous...

Tim

Haha! Yeah, I grew up in Lakeville and attended a private high school in Mendota Heights, but I am a college student now at the University of Iowa (which is why I consider myself a Hawkeye). And boy am I glad I was on the Hawkeye side for the last few Iowa/MN football games!

How about them Vikes though, eh? Gonna be a heckuva game vs. Mr. Brees this weekend. I am more of a Twins fan (pretty pathetically die-hard) than Vikings fan, but I still like watching the Vikes.

How long have you been diving? And have you done much/any diving here in MN?

-Nick

Just got certified last June, zero dives in Minnesota. I'm lucky to live in Hawaii where I can dive pretty much year around, and I've done all (ten) of my dives around Oahu. Loving it so far...

I'm a Twins fan too. You may be too young to remember '87 and '91... Heady days indeed. I'm excited for the Vikings, but they've disappointed me so many times. But I keep coming back... Maybe I need counseling.

Oh I am familiar with those games indeed. I was only 2 when the Twins won it in 91, but I have seen all of the games from each of those World Series sooooo many times on tape. Like I said, I'm pathetically obsessed with the Twinkies.

If you ever find yourself back in MN, we should get in touch and have a dive.

how laid back and cool all of the people in the diving community are

It's a fact!

The reason I am making this post - I understand that there is a lot to take in as a new diver. Are there any suggestions or tips that you more experienced divers have for a newbie like me? Also, are there any of the PADI specializations that you all have done that are just an absolute blast? I am looking at doing Nitrox and Wreck Diving next summer. Those cool ones?

Nitrox is very useful - it let's you dive nitrox (!), extending your no-decompression limits. Diving single tanks, you'll see its effect when doing repetitive dives. Also, some dive sites are nitrox only.

Wreck is absolutely an exciting specialty. So much history, action and exciting stories in wrecks, and the wreck specialty diver course is a good way to get started.

Make sure you get really comfortable with the basics you learned in your owd course. Practice a skill on every dive - make a deal with your buddy; "Today we practice mask flood and clear."

Focus on buoyancy control, and use your inflator often. Anticipate pressure/buoyancy changes. Notice the terrain - is it getting deeper or shallower? Learn to act on the anticipation, making small changes, and using breathing for fine tuning. Of course, you want to explore the underwater world, but once buoyancy control becomes second nature, you'll see so much more! Good buoyancy control is essential to lots of fun stuff, like wreck diving, photography, overhead environments and just about everything else too. It will also help you reduce your air consumption, allowing for longer dives. :)

We'll be expecting dive and course reports from Australia! :D

Welcome Nick,

If you have the chance, do some more pool time. I know it isn't very scenic, but it will help with your buoyancy control. Check to see if the boys at Divers world will allow you to start your Nitrox course. At least get the books and start reading them.

I am stuck in Des Moines because of the Ice Storm

And sorry Go Badgers!

Hello Nick! If you find yourself back in Lakeville and are looking for any local diving, give me a shout!

If you're going to find yourself around the MN area, the wreck diving is a great class. Superior has some fantastic wrecks that are well worth seeing. If that's something that interests you, you might consider attending the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society show in Mounds View in February. it's usually a really good show with lots of local dive people in attendance.

You'll really want to pick up dry suit diving for around here!

After that, any course you take at this point will be worth it. I personally suggest doing your AOW course soon after OW. The ability to take a look at some of the other specialties really can help figure out what you want to do next. And most places will let you knock out nitrox along with AOW at the same time. Since nitrox is really about knowledge and not dive skills, it's a good way to get that one under your belt.

Good luck, and please do give me a shout if you want to go dive. (Any time of year, once you get ice diver under your belt!)

Go Jets Go.

I second the recommendation for more pool time. Any time you spend in the water will help you master your buoyancy, and good buoyancy control is the key to have the maximum amount of fun in the water.

I'd recommend taking a Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty soon after your OW is completed. Any help you can get with getting properly weighted and balanced is worth while.

Back
Top Bottom