ascending with unconscious victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanun once bubbled...
i still have a lot more to learn.
I've just "completed" my Rescue course (I was inspired to take it by Dr. Paul's Nasty Incident). After completing the requirements ...one of which is ascending with an unconscious diver ... I realize the need for regular practice of ALL the skills learned in the open water course. It's so easy to become complacent - and then an ACCIDENT occurs. I feel that an annual review of Rescue skills should be part of that course requirement. Even with that I know I would forget a number of the skills (very scarey) unless I practice them with a buddy on a regular basis.
I have a question for Dr. Paul... when you were practicing the controlled buoyant lift with your buddy, how was he connected to you?... I don't understand how he dropped you if you blacked-out?.... if you had a seizure and convulsed then I can see (unfortunately) how he would have had to let go of you.
I'm always seeking to learn and really appreciate your willingness to discuss a very difficult time in your life. I value your continued input on this board.
I'd like to see a thread started where we discuss yet another one of the Rescue Skills. I find group discussion (how different people perform these skills) very helpful.
Barb:)

Try finding a GUE instructor and booking yourself for a Fundamentals course. The proper method for rescuing an unconsious diver is covered as well as a host of other essential topics.

By the way contrary to popular belief it is possible to encounter an unconsious diver that still has a reg in their mouth. Ah the effects of CO2 build-up..so relaxing!

lanun once bubbled...
. . . . because even with plastic in my wallet, I know I still have a lot more to learn.
I think that is exacatly the right attitude to have, lanun.

Safe diving! I hope you never have to use those rescue skills!

barb once bubbled...
I have a question for Dr. Paul... when you were practicing the controlled buoyant lift with your buddy, how was he connected to you?... I don't understand how he dropped you if you blacked-out?.... if you had a seizure and convulsed then I can see (unfortunately) how he would have had to let go of you.
Hi barb,

As you know I was the "rescuer" and held on to my buddy's right shoulder strap with my left hand and was controlling our combined buoyancy with my right. I had instructed him to act the victim and not to do anything other than to hold on to my harness for added security but that if he became concerned, for any reason, to tap me on the shoulder and we would then separate and complete a normal ascent.

I do not believe I had a convulsion but even if I had he need not have lost contact with me and, as I discussed, there are many ways he could have brought/sent me to the surface once this ceased, simply releasing my weight belt being the obvious last resort.

However this raises a serious question. I was in 22 M maximum depth. What to do if you are on the ascent from a much deeper dive and your buddy starts convulsing and sinking? Hardly appropriate to let him sink to 70+ M and follow him down.

A nasty one, but one worth thinking through.

I think that it is best to use the victims's bcd. This means that if they become overly buoyant, you can just release them and you'll know where to find them. If you are using your bcd, if for some reason, you lose contact with the victim, they will sink and you will shoot up. This not only means that you will probably get bent but also you lose the victim. In bad viz, this could result in their death and you getting bent.

Having said that, I have never had to do a real rescue ( thank god) so I don't know what the best thing to do in a particular situation.

The Tick once bubbled...
Try finding a GUE instructor and booking yourself for a Fundamentals course. The proper method for rescuing an unconsious diver is covered as well as a host of other essential topics.

I wouldn't in any way consider the DIRF as a substitute for a real rescue class. There's more to it than getting a diver to the surface.
By the way contrary to popular belief it is possible to encounter an unconsious diver that still has a reg in their mouth. Ah the effects of CO2 build-up..so relaxing!

I never noticed this being a popular belief. Also I doubt CO2 build up will put one to sleep at recreational depths.

I have learned a little different so maybe a little more discussion here?

Genesis once bubbled...

Yes, in extraordinarily cold water.....
I have heard cold water defined as 70 degrees farenheit. That covers about everything around here.

Genesis once bubbled...
Mamilian diving reflex and all that.... the physiological reactions to extreme cold-shock....
This has been part of the theory to explain cold water drowning but is debated. We really don't understand the why do we?

Genesis once bubbled...
Now "4 minutes" is not a hard and fast rule, no.
I was taught one hour to the emergency room.

One other question about the unconcious diver. Pete has mentioned begining rescue breathing and CPR in water. I have been taught that CPR can not truly be done effectively in water as you need to lay the victim on a hard surface for it to be effective; that it is more important to get the victim out of the water first. Can anyone expand on this?

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
Hi barb,

As you know I was the "rescuer"
No I did'nt know you were the "rescuer" and this helps me understand how your buddy shot to the surface once you blacked out and let go of him. He would have had to have lightning reflexes to suddenly realize what was happening and reach out and undo your weight belt. I bet he was confused as would most anyone I would think.
I do not believe I had a convulsion but even if I had he need not have lost contact with me and, as I discussed, there are many ways he could have brought/sent me to the surface once this ceased, simply releasing my weight belt being the obvious last resort.
Sorry to say but the rule of thumb in a rescue is if a diver is convulsing you wait until the seizure ends before trying to help him. This way the "rescuer" does'nt become a victim also.

I'm sorry Dr. Paul you had a very bad situation happen to you and I think you're very fortunate to be alive.

I'm not sure that releasing your weight belt and shooting you to the surface would have been the best thing to do either..... if you were seizing that is. Given the situation as you told it ... I don't see any solution. I believe you're alive because it simply was'nt yet your time.

However this raises a serious question. I was in 22 M maximum depth. What to do if you are on the ascent from a much deeper dive and your buddy starts convulsing and sinking? Hardly appropriate to let him sink to 70+ M and follow him down.

A nasty one, but one worth thinking through.
.....I don't see any solution. I hate problems without solutions:(

Thanks for answering my question. I think if I were rescuing an unconscious diver at depth, I would get the victim neutrally buoyant and control the lift with my BCD/drysuit. The temptation is to go up as quickly as possible but I think that would just add more risk to an already difficult maneuver. I would'nt remove the weight belt until at the surface.
I would follow a convulsing victim down as far as I could ... if I was able I would try to help him but not at the risk of my own life (within reason). I would'nt want anyone risking their life for me:(

and I don't recommend it. If you have been trained to do CPR on a rock wall then you know how to do it.

My post said to initiate rescue breathing and then initiate CPR ASAP... you should be on a solid surface for this to be effective.

barb once bubbled...
Sorry to say but the rule of thumb in a rescue is if a diver is convulsing you wait until the seizure ends before trying to help him. This way the "rescuer" does'nt become a victim also.
Agreed
. . . I think you're very fortunate to be alive.
Now that's an understatement!!

I'm not sure that releasing your weight belt and shooting you to the surface would have been the best thing to do either..... if you were seizing that is. Given the situation as you told it ... I don't see any solution. I believe you're alive because it simply was'nt yet your time.
.....I don't see any solution. I hate problems without solutions:(
Me too! My buddy did follow me down, I understand, but for some reason could not lift me from the bottom. I do not know why. I only suggested that as a last resort he could have jettisoned my weight belt insted of leaving me and going for help. As it turned out the eventual ascent was hardly a "controlled buoyant lift". I suspect they thought they were retrieving a dead body by that time.:(
I think if I were rescuing an unconscious diver at depth, I would get the victim neutrally buoyant and control the lift with my BCD/drysuit. The temptation is to go up as quickly as possible but I think that would just add more risk to an already difficult maneuver. I would'nt remove the weight belt until at the surface.
I would follow a convulsing victim down as far as I could ... if I was able I would try to help him but not at the risk of my own life (within reason). I would'nt want anyone risking their life for me:(
If you look at my reply to lanun I posted
If you lose your grip on your buddy during the ascent and you use your version 2, he will sink while you rocket to the surface. (1,2,3 and 4 all then apply)
That is exactly what happend when the roles were unexpectedly reveresed! I still haven't seen my buddy's profile but I do agree that you must not expose yourself of the risks of becoming a casualty yourself.

As for basic life support, this consists of chest compressions and various forms of ventilation, (i.e. supporting the circulation AND respiration). While performing a rescue you have no way of knowing whether the casualty is alive or has a functioning circulation but as Mike F posted effective chest compression is quite impossible underwater so there seems little point in attempting the impossible. The victim may have suffered a cardiac arrest secondary to an MI, or suffered massive pulmonary barotrauma, for example.

The best you can do is to support ventilation but, as I pointed out in the same post, this is not without the considerable risk of doing more harm than good.

Can I expand on the four minute rule? In cardiac arrest (not to be confused with simple unconciousness) the circulation to the brain and vital organs ceases. If this is not restored in a warm casualty (i.e. the usual form of cardiac arrest as taught in public first aid courses and practiced in the emergency room, where circulatory support is continued for up to one hour) the vital organs suffer irreversible damage within four minutes. Hence the adage, early CPR and early defibrillation. I did not suffer a cardiac arrest at any time, luckily, so the four minute rule did not apply in my case.

In addition I was submerged in cold water, which I aspirated. Although very damaging this caused a degree of protective hypothermia which, I believe, is one of the main reasons I survived with a pretty intact brain despite the delays in rescue.

It would be wrong to extrapolate from this single incident and recommend that one should never attempt rescue breathing. However, I tend to agree with Genesis that the Mamalian diving reflex may have played a role in my ultimate survival.

In my opinion the surface is the place to provide basic life support but my incident does confirm that this should not be abandonned by any rescuers no matter how bad things may seem.

Back
Top Bottom