Assembling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't like the derlin plastic thumbwheels, you can get 316 stainless thumbwheels for about $17 a piece on amazon. I think that they are more durable than the plastic thumbwheels and do not need any washers as well. Even though they are 316 stainless, it is still a good idea to maintain them.

Stainless nuts on stainless male threads run a real risk of galling Bolt Depot - About Thread Galling
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/Thread-galling.aspx
Tank band bolts live a brutal life and are frequently in less than perfect shape. A key advantage to delrin thumbwheels is their tolerance for damaged band bolts.

Is delrin strong enough? Enough that I once lifted the rear end of my truck off the ground using a single delrin thumbwheel. I wish I still had the photos.

Doubles just aren't that heavy.....

Tobin

Reactions: mdb
Stainless nuts on stainless male threads run a real risk of galling Bolt Depot - About Thread Galling
Tank band bolts live a brutal life and are frequently in less than perfect shape. A key advantage to delrin thumbwheels is their tolerance for damaged band bolts.

Is delrin strong enough? Enough that I once lifted the rear end of my truck off the ground using a single delrin thumbwheel. I wish I still had the photos.

Doubles just aren't that heavy.....

Tobin
I remember thone pics on TDS. They were nice pictures and helped me decide to keep my delrin star nuts, too bad you don't have it anymore. Interestingly, I'm still using the delrin nuts I bought 6 or 7 years ago.

I remember thone pics on TDS. They were nice pictures and helped me decide to keep my delrin star nuts, too bad you don't have it anymore. Interestingly, I'm still using the delrin nuts I bought 6 or 7 years ago.

I no doubt still have the pictures. Finding them is an entirely different matter. :)

Tobin

On the subject of threaded rod versus bolts, I have found out that in reality, there are some variations between tank band manufacturer where the flat part goes between the tanks. If the spacing is wider between the two flat parts that the bolts go thru, you will need a longer bolt. This caught me by surprise the first time I encountered it, because I thought everything was standardized.

On a recent trip, I encountered three out of three different setups. I now bring my own set of 6 inch bolts, nylock nuts, hex nuts, washers, and thumbwheels.

What he said. I keep one of these sets in my kit for "just in case". 5 3/4" allthread with all other needed hardware.

Replacement Bolt Kit for Doubles Bands

Is there an advantage to thumbwheels over wingnuts?

What he said. I keep one of these sets in my kit for "just in case". 5 3/4" allthread with all other needed hardware.

Replacement Bolt Kit for Doubles Bands

Maybe it is my hardware but I have found I need an extra washer, lock washer and nut. I use this in between the bands - against the rear nut - this seems to help the rear nut from slippiing when I take the bands off the tanks.

I fill my own tanks and need that extra nut because I am constantly taking the bands off. Long story but I can not use the Manifold to fill my tanks. It is a policy where I fill so I end up diving independent doubles and need to remove the bands to fill in a blast proof container.

YMMV :)

Is there an advantage to thumbwheels over wingnuts?

They're more comfortable on your back and easier to hold on to. As mentioned, it's impossible for them to gall....and galling really sucks.

I never noticed wing nuts on my back. I just like the thumbwheels better because I don't have to keep up with washers. And I figured the thumbwheels would be less likely to damage my suit if they did happen to stick out far enough to touch it.

They're more comfortable on your back and easier to hold on to. As mentioned, it's impossible for them to gall....and galling really sucks.
sucks when they break though. I've seen a half dozen of them crack in half

I currently use these

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 10.04.52 PM.png

but when I have to buy another set, I will get these

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 10.05.13 PM.png

Found out this past weekend when your fingers are wet it is kinda hard to securely tighten the first set of nuts.. The knurling is not that pronounced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom