Assembling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucks when they break though. I've seen a half dozen of them crack in half

OK...what about brass instead.
41tArQJj0YL._AC_US160_.jpg

Brass has the same problem. When your fingers are wet and pruned, they can't get a good purchase on the nut and slips.

I guess I'm seriously old school, but why not just use regular good old fashioned wing nuts?

NW10.jpg

Is there an advantage to thumbwheels over wingnuts?

No.

Brass has the same problem. When your fingers are wet and pruned, they can't get a good purchase on the nut and slips.

I guess I'm seriously old school, but why not just use regular good old fashioned wing nuts?

View attachment 396957

Wing nuts typically require flat washers and lock washers, all small parts that are easily lost, and as noted previously stainless nuts on imperfect stainless threads can gall or friction weld.

Tobin

Wing nuts typically require flat washers and lock washers, all small parts that are easily lost, and as noted previously stainless nuts on imperfect stainless threads can gall or friction weld.

Tobin

Lock washers? I guess I just don't have that much experience in doubles because I have never needed a lock washer for doubles in my life.

As for regular washers, some of my sets of doubles have them, some don't. I only need a washer on the lower bolt because my backplate has a slot there instead of a standard drill hole. And if I lose a washer, I normally have a second one on that bolt set (top bolt) and can replace it after. But my experience with losing washers has been that I only lose them when I loan one of my sets of doubles out.

Lock washers? I guess I just don't have that much experience in doubles because I have never needed a lock washer for doubles in my life.

As for regular washers, some of my sets of doubles have them, some don't. I only need a washer on the lower bolt because my backplate has a slot there instead of a standard drill hole. And if I lose a washer, I normally have a second one on that bolt set (top bolt) and can replace it after. But my experience with losing washers has been that I only lose them when I loan one of my sets of doubles out.

Flat and lock washers for use with the wing nuts are part of every set of Highland Band bolts I've ever opened.

Tobin

I remember thone pics on TDS. They were nice pictures and helped me decide to keep my delrin star nuts, too bad you don't have it anymore. Interestingly, I'm still using the delrin nuts I bought 6 or 7 years ago.
I think i'm using the original wingnuts from the 1980s

Interestingly, I used to firmly dislike wing nuts because they hurt my delicate little fingers when tightening them and I was concerned about galling. (BTW, I don't recall the last time I used or saw a flat or lock washer used with a wing nut). While I still prefer a delrin star nut for ease of use, I'm too lazy to change stuff around these days and typically use whatever is on the tanks I grab, which is often a mix of wing or various delrin nuts. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom