Assessments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the most important tip:

Read the complete question. Completely read all of the answers. Select the best answer for how the question is written. Don't add anything esle to the question or answers. Many people that have issues with the final (mainly adults) will add "what if's" to the question. There are no trick questions. Yes, there are some poorly worded questions, be just completely read the question and answers.

Great tip!

I have had students come up with some really convoluted ways that it might be possible that an answer they have chosen could be right under very unusual circumstances.

This usually occurs in conjunction with the other issue that trips students above--when choice D is "all of the above." One obvious way that this trips you up is when you mark the first obviously correct answer you see without noticing that the others are correct as well. But the opposite happens as well. I have had a number of conversations after an exam that sound like this:

Student: "I knew choice C was correct, but I put D (all of the above) because I thought choice A might also be correct if [convoluted explanation as described above]."

Me: "Well, that would be true, but you're reading a lot into it that really isn't there. What about choice B?"

Student: "Well, choice B is definitely wrong. Hmmm. I guess it couldn't have been all of the above then, could it?"

Me: "I guess not."​

As I always say about PADI exams:

R.T.F.Q. = Read The fffffFull(!) Question

and of course,

R.T.F.A. = Read the fufufufufuFull Answer.

Don't stress about the exams kellykinns - they are not rocket science and there's no set time limit (although I know some instructors set them).

And good luck with your OW water course! :)

Cheers,

C.

Hey Guys!
THANKS SO MUCH!
I got my manual and stuff today, and they explained what was needed etc...!
i get to do the quiz things @ home and such =]

Thank you!

... there's no set time limit (although I know some instructors set them).

Really? Why would they do that? It is fundamentally contrary to the standards-based (as opposed to time-based) philosophy of the instruction.

Back
Top Bottom