The Business of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

damian_x

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone,

I’m a 3rd year student reading for a BSc in Diving Safety Management in Malta. I am researching the business of diving through a survey. It only takes 3 minutes and is anonymous.

Your feedback will lead to the publication of a scientifically grounded assessment of diving business.
https://forms.office.com/e/VCTSLfTqee

Thank you!
Damian

The first question appears to indicate the survey is only meant for dive professionals rather than all divers. Is this correct?

Also, not sure what you think "scientifically grounded assessment means", but you need to look up self-selection bias in Internet surveys before you make the error of assuming your findings are representative of the entire industry.

I completed your survey, but I don't think that it was very well designed. Did one of your professors review it?

Done, but most of the questions were substantially irrelevant, and instead the REAL questions were missing.
- there was nothing regarding legal responsibility for instructors / DMs.
- and nothing about safety and professional health issues for instructors.
- the focus was on paid instructors, while many diving schools in Europe operate under CMAS with volunteer (unpaid) instructors
- the questionnaire seems to assume that E-learning is something widely employed, whilst in my experience in-person teaching is the norm, and the E-learning material is there just as a support/backup, and not really important
- there is nothing about training for instructors, and how to ensure that a certified instructor maintains skills and adherence to standards in the years to come.
- there is nothing about instructor associations and how they operate for improving the standards.
In conclusion, I think this is a questionnaire strongly biased towards some goals, for proofing/disproving a preconceived thesis, and not for gaining a wide and unbiased understanding on the topic. Of course I can be wrong...

Some odd questions it be fun to see the numbers.

Missing question: Are you willing to work in an industry where you spend thousands to make hundreds?

Back
Top Bottom