At CocoView resort 9/24-10/1/2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The hurricane appears to be passing us by, although we have lots of rain showers (we're wet anyway...). Here's a photo of one of the cutest critters I saw yesterday, just cropped. I may want to take it into Adobe Lightroom and darken some of the left side, maybe crop a bit more.
P9260025-juvenile-spotted-trunkfish-cropped.jpg

Nice. Love the baby trunks.
We were there for Harvey. Everything got locked down. A buddy and I did an early morning, front yard dive in true "calm before the storm" conditions. Beautiful. Got out to a breeze and then got hammered from the boathouse to the beach house. Rained hard for about an hour only to brake apart and Harvey was gone. The rest of the week was beautiful.
Later in the week Harvey regained power and flooded Houston. Leaving us stranded for a second week of beautiful weather at an amazing place. Best stranding ever. :cool:
Enjoy!

Here's a picture from Wed. 9/28, on the DC-3. I saw a conch shell that was a bit sideways; I thought the conch had climbed up a strut, and could not figure out how to go in reverse. Well, the conch was "doing lunch" with a fellow mollusk...

I was so excited that I didn't get my strobe pointed right, nor did I get closer (didn't want to mess up the party), so my focus light was not doing much lighting. The only adjustments are from the Olympus software for my TG-4. I'm sure some time with one of the Adobe products would generate a much finer photo.

That said, the octopus stayed pretty perfectly still as I was taking the picture, and excitedly getting any nearby divers to come and see. I think he (or she) was hoping one of us was bringing some escargot butter?

P9280041-octopus-adjusted.jpg

Great image there.

The placed DC3 ‘plane-wreck’ is so often just given a quick glance by divers, a closer look will reveal the structure is teeming with life. For many years, i watched two Anemones move incrementally over the old airframe. A huge Eel habituated the plane’s toilet/head and also enjoyed that overturned 15’ Boston Whaler nearby.

The wings seem to be ‘the spot’ for laying eggs and patrolling their nurseries.

The DC3 is closer to the Fantasy Island silt run-off, so it is often less appealing than the nearby Prince Albert wreck which is usually much less occluded, but i always take a six minute ‘look see’ diversion when we do the CCV ‘front yard’ dive.

E478927D-13D1-4F1B-894F-946C77961377.jpeg

C9305348-32E6-43FD-82CE-7A6F9D507941.jpeg

her last flight, so to speak….

96C83DB8-09B3-4335-940F-7EFA2F29D2B9.jpeg

For most divers, it’s good that they know they’re going to see a ‘plane wreck’ because it is quite large and in chunks. This disassembly occurred as she actually ‘flew’ underwater during a hurricane surge. The aft upper fuselage is quite discernible after ‘you see what you’re seeing’, that’s where the Eel’s toilet is located, The wings are pretty easy to see, but so large that many don‘t know what they are at first. The lower fuselage looks like a school bus that had it’s top ripped off. Still, a lot living there. You can actually penetrate the upper fuselage section through the port aft passenger door, but it’s a one-man at a time thing. Cool creepy stuff in there, I can assure you.

The thing about wrecks, especially these two that are just an shore dive away 24/7 from Coco View….

“Wrecks” are easy to see. This is the initial appeal for newer divers. They are a landmark, point of reference, It takes patience and time, also aided by a guiding buddy- to see the real value and use for the diver. The structures and shapes provided by ‘placed reefs’ invite many critters. At first, we see ‘the big fish’, but then, as our awareness develops, well, we see Octopus and Conch, and then even waaaay smaller treasures.

2BB34660-157F-4BCC-A8C8-7A6F97206EA4.jpeg

I will be there in 29 days, not that I am counting...

134 days for me, not that I am counting either!

I'm headed to CCV Nov. 12-19! I can't wait!

@hdtran How many dives did you get to do your week at CocoView? Good times?

Richard.
25. Can't complain; dolphins on the surface interval on our first day, a modeling competition between an eagle ray and a turtle the next day, and the usual critter suspects, not to mention new friends on the chow line. October has been a bear at work, I need to make some time to sort and digest my photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom