At what point should I get diver insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP seems to like quite specific info, so here is a specific answer to the OP question, "When should I get dive insurance?"
The answer is: before you need it.
OK, so when do you need it? (1) to go on some trips, so this is an easy one....if the trip says you need it, you then can get it. (2) you need it before your next dive accident, but if you are like most of us, you don't really know when that will happen. But you can be assured it will NOT happen unless you go diving. So, you need the dive accident insurance before you next diving trip.

Actually, there are four different issues:
1. DAN membership.
2. DAN Dive Accident Insurance
3. DAN per trip travel insurance
4. DAN annual travel insurance.

You have to have 1 to get any of the others.
2 is arguably essential for all divers, IMHO. Head-and-shoulders better than any alternatives.
3 and 4 depend on coverage desired, number of trips a year, etc.

I believe the OP's question was about 2, NOT travel insurance.

Actually five.
I have my professional liability insurance through them.

Maybe six, if you count the free, short-term, medical only capped at $25K, for students of DAN members taking introductory courses.

Maybe more. They’re always finding ways to expand their usefulness.

The OP seems to like quite specific info, so here is a specific answer to the OP question, "When should I get dive insurance?"
The answer is: before you need it.
OK, so when do you need it? (1) to go on some trips, so this is an easy one....if the trip says you need it, you then can get it. (2) you need it before your next dive accident, but if you are like most of us, you don't really know when that will happen. But you can be assured it will NOT happen unless you go diving. So, you need the dive accident insurance before you next diving trip.

You need before the next time you go diving. Some of us dive within a few hours of home. I’ve always had the Guardian, top level choice in my state. Turns out I needed the insurance for my tech classes, anyway.

Been bent twice needing helicopter trips to a chamber. They charge $5,000 just to start the engine. Total bill each time $50,000. DAN paid it all. So unless you have a spare 50K lying around. Now granted my dives are cave dives involving mixed gas staged decompression. But it only takes one minor incident to become a major one.

I've been a DAN member since 1991. It paid for my chamber ride in 2000. I've more than recouped my expense. I feel like I'm supporting a worth while cause, research and service. It's a privilege to have it. Is also is great coverage for a lot of things especially if you are more than 50 miles from home.
I have the number right on the lid of my save a dive kit.

Attachments

• nkhy67.jpg
    nkhy67.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 44
  • dan 2021.jpgxx.jpg
    dan 2021.jpgxx.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 48
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom