Athens Scuba Park Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone told me that the chemicals in Athens Scuba Park are hard on your reg, one guy even said it pitted his? What do you think? I'd like to try it, sounds like great vis.

I've been there, with no problems to report. The visibility was good, the temps were good, and the facilities were great compared to CSSP. The only drawbacks I found were that it's shallower, with virtually no animal life. I haven't had any equipment issues that I'm aware of. Also, their hours are better than CSSP. They're open through the week as well as weekends. You can go out on weekdays (Wed thru Sun) and have great vis, since most OW classes aren't there until the weekends. The prices are a little cheaper also.

I "dove" Athens twice. Second dive I left my tank on shore and snorkeled everything. I felt silly on scuba. There isn't anything there inaccessible from freediving. The bus is a bit challenging, though. If the owners can manage to maintain fish in there I might recommend it to my diver pals in town, otherwise I steer 'em to deeper dive holes.

Is there much allure for repeat divers to this joint? Seems a lot like Blue Lagoon, but shallower and much smaller.

I have never heard any reports or had any personal experience with the water in Athens damaging gear. If you drag it through the sand that is a different story.

I have heard numerous reports of Blue Lagoon permanently tarnishing chrome on regs.

It will, on the other hand, turn bleached blonde hair green.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I have never heard any reports or had any personal experience with the water in Athens damaging gear. TwoBit

I ignorantly waited till the next day after diving to wash my gear off, the blue on my wetsuit was discolored to green. Other than that everything else was fine.

My blonde hair was a lovely shade of green for the next couple of days, but luckily it fades pretty quickly.

Made 5 dives in athens on May 29th an 30th. Vis. wa Great early in the day but got bad later in the day but at its worst it was still 20ft, not bad for an East Texas mud puddle. Had no problems with any discoloring of gear. And to top it off the dive shop really seem to care about the divers and not just the almighty dollar.

It's a typo then....I doubt that Calvin and Shannon approved that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom