Atlanta Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to get all political or anything, but I always feel a bit conflicted when it comes to whales or whale sharks in captivity and have a hard time supporting aquariums with these exhibits. As divers we have the ability to interact with these creatures in their own habitat, and seeing a whale shark behind a glass plate pales in comparison to having one swim right up to you and show genuine curiosity about you.

I was in Atlanta last week for work and decided to do the dive with the whale sharks. It was pretty incredible. Besides the whale sharks, there are hammerheads, sand tigers, large mantas, and thousand of other animals. "Overwhelming" really is the word for it.

In any event, a large part of the experience was an orientation where we found out that all of the whale sharks were rescued animals. They didn't discuss whether the animals could have survived in the wild, but at least two of them were rescued from fishing operations that had captured them for sale to Asian markets. Additionally, she stated that a majority of the price for the experience ($325 plus a $50 DVD you could buy) went to fund programs to benefit whale sharks in the wild.

Not to get all political or anything, but I always feel a bit conflicted when it comes to whales or whale sharks in captivity and have a hard time supporting aquariums with these exhibits. As divers we have the ability to interact with these creatures in their own habitat, and seeing a whale shark behind a glass plate pales in comparison to having one swim right up to you and show genuine curiosity about you.
I'm a volunteer at the Georgia Aquarium, which is actually its name, as opposed to "Atlanta Aquarium," and I've heard this before. Unfortunately, most people don't understand the origins of the whale sharks here, and what their original fate was.

The great majority of the animals at the aquarium are rescues, and that includes the whale sharks (and the belugas, who were rescued from a small sub-adequate tank in Mexico City). The whale sharks at the aquarium were originally targeted for the dinner table -- the flesh is eaten, the huge liver is processed for its oil, and the fins often end up in shark fin soup, which is also largely responsible for the decimation of over 100,000,000 (yes, that's one hundred million, with an 'M') sharks killed EVERY year. The GA whale sharks were rescues, and now inhabit the largest aquarium tank in the world, at over 6 million gallons.
They not only continue to survive, but as a result of being able to work with them so closely, the marine biologists are learning exponentially more about them than they possibly could in the wild, which means being in a much better position to help perpetuation of the species in the wild.

If any of you do visit the aquarium, I would recommend you spend a couple of extra dollars, and do the 'behind the scenes' tour. Especially as divers, you'll appreciate how well controlled and supervised all the animals are at this facility, how well the environments are monitored, how often the water is tested (many, many times each day, with state-of-the-art analytics), and you *will* come away with a new appreciation for the benefits of this flavor of facility that go well beyond a typical "fish show."

In addition, all the volunteers (floor walkers, divers, hosts, etc.) are extremely well trained on each of the exhibits, and the resident animals, from an historical, current status, and future prognosis, of each the species. They are tasked with educating all the visitors on the successes, plights, and requirements of the species in each of the exhibits, so the visit experience can be appreciated at a much deeper level.

So, while I understand the hesitation some people have about large captive species, please reserve any judgements until you've had the opportunity to experience it for yourself.

I did a little survey of aquarium diving, and for 300, you can get a PADI Aquarium Diver card at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, with 2 30 minute dives.
:rofl3::lol::laughing:

Now that is funny!

Chug

Isn't EPCOT part of Disney? How is the EPCOT aquarium a non profit?

I don't think they are "non profit" but they have a "non profit fund" that goes to marine conservation.

I've done the Epcot dive also. While I don't remember all the details, they showed us a chart of how their conservation money is used. (generic chart). So part of your Epcot dive funds are used for that conservation fund. (I have no clue what the breakdown is).
On the other hand, the Georgia Aquarium is a non-profit. So I think that the cheaper rate at EPCOT is probably partially subsidized by the theme park around it. While it was cool to wave at the people eating dinner from the inside, there were so many reminders that "you're part of the Disney experience now, so behave!"

well the primary purpose of the Aquarium at Epcot is for viewing through the glass. But it's part of the "bigger part" that it's in.

Georgia Aquarium is an attraction all by itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom