Atlantis or Mike's or?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susiewah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am trying to get a trip together that involves 6 days in Dumaguete and 6 days in Anda (Amunini Resort). We are set on the Anda side but trying to decide upon the Dumaguete side. We would love to stay at Atmosphere but with Amunini, it is a bit cost prohibitive.

I'm trying to decide between Mike's and Atlantis Resort. Does anyone know any major differences between the two? They both go to Apo which is high on our list if possible with weather. Do the dive shops compare equally? Sure would appreciate any constructive feedback. Is there another 3 star plus resort options down there?

Thank you much in advance,
Susie
Oh and we are going in March 2019

I guess it depends on what you want--Atlantis is a much bigger operation than Mike's (very close to each other) where Mike's is very small with only eight rooms. Mike's room are more basic but comfortable (I've stayed there twice) and I'm sure they are less expensive than Atlantis. Both have a nice pool and share the same beach. Mike's dive shop is very small compared to Atlantis also. Mike's restaurant is very nice with a great selection of food at a modest price--never ate at Atlantis. Mike's has two large banka boats for diving that can hold at least twenty people but since they only have eight rooms you'll never have that many people on a boat unless they have some walk in divers or snorkelers. Mike's is American owned and he lives in a house on the property---the hotel operation is run by Corri from England and Jonathan from Scotland runs the dive operations with three local guides who I enjoyed diving with all three of them. Mike's with only eight rooms can be hard to book sometimes. There are a few other 3+ star resorts on the beach there as well--check out TripAdvisor for reviews--Mike's is usually ranked number one there. As far as diving goes they both go to the same places and you will enjoy it no matter where you decide to stay in Dauin. Love the small town of Dauin.

I stayed at Mike's mid May, my vote is for them. Small resort, great staff, reasonably priced, and the diving is good.
They accommodated all my requests as an UW photographer. The guides had great spotting capabilities and were very friendly. That said, all staff was very friendly.

We've stayed at Atlantis and Pura Vida. Atlantis is nice (and always great at service and taking care of logistics) but overall preferred Pura Vida. Atlantis is cramped, on a long narrow lot with what feels like as much as possible crammed in and no way for a breeze to pass through. The dining area is outside on the water but so surrounded by walls and things that even with fans it was always uncomfortable. Pura Vida was maybe a bit less polished but more spread out, with a second floor outdoor dining room that was much more pleasant. And much more waterfront, with a big beach bar, group dining pavillion, and a grassy beach to lounge on. Both have nice little spas, but very different feeling just like the rest of the places. Ditto the dive shops and facilities. (We started with a crappy guide at Pura Vida, who just swam and wouldn't or couldn't point out critters, didn't seem to care. We all complained and we got a great new guide, the crappy one was not seen again. Our guide at Atlantis was nothing to write home about either, but probably his biggest problem was just being new there.)

Last edited:
Atlantis is a big and (too) expensive operation, with lots of divers and plenty of staff dressed with the same neat uniform,
Mike's is a small resort where you'll meet the owner eating his morning burritos, there are only 3 guides (but good ones) lots of expats choose Mike's to dive with.
if I can give you another opportunity, I like Azure's dive resort best in Dauin, it's filipino owned (by an ex intructor from Atlantis), having excellent dive guides and great food, the bonus is that they don't have many clients since they're not as renamed as the big or more marketed resorts around (Atlantis, Pura Vida, El Dorado, Atmosphere) .

What made you choose Anda over everywhere else? That's certainly not my first pick in the Philippines.

I've thought of trying Liquid if we get back there, how does it compare to the others?

Atlantis is a big and (too) expensive operation, with lots of divers and plenty of staff dressed with the same neat uniform,
Mike's is a small resort where you'll meet the owner eating his morning burritos, there are only 3 guides (but good ones) lots of expats choose Mike's to dive with.
if I can give you another opportunity, I like Azure's dive resort best in Dauin, it's filipino owned (by an ex intructor from Atlantis), having excellent dive guides and great food, the bonus is that they don't have many clients since they're not as renamed as the big or more marketed resorts around (Atlantis, Pura Vida, El Dorado, Atmosphere) .

What made you choose Anda over everywhere else? That's certainly not my first pick in the Philippines.
Yes I was wondering about the choice of Anda too. As much as I like the area and village of Anda I found the diving kinda "meeh". And Amun Inni is a nice resort but way above my budget. As much as I don't care for the vibe at Alona Beach I still found the diving there much better than Anda. Will be back in Dauin and Mike's in about four months after a week of diving in Sipalay (first visit there)---hope Sipalay is as good as I hope.

Yes I was wondering about the choice of Anda too. As much as I like the area and village of Anda I found the diving kinda "meeh". And Amun Inni is a nice resort but way above my budget. As much as I don't care for the vibe at Alona Beach I still found the diving there much better than Anda. .
Exactly..
If the resort comfort is a criteria for the OP, Amorita on Alona is up to Amunini standards, plus you'll get the good Balicasag diving too (operated by SeaExplorers).

First of all, thank you all for your comments. They really got me thinking.

So I am now leaning towards staying in Dauin area with the possibility of Pura Vida Beach and Dive Resort for 5 full days of diving (Apo Island for sure). I've heard mixed reviews on the whale shark dive. Has anyone done it lately and care to comment?

From there we are open. We would like another location for diving for another 5 days with 1 travel day in between. Amun Inni was a recommendation from a friend but now looking and listening, it sounds like his choice might have been based on the resort and not the diving. In any case, what might be a good suggestion for another 5 full days of diving? We would prefer to fly in and out of the same airport (I guess that would be Cebu?)

Again, thank you all very much!!
Susie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom