Atmos Mission One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it normal to take over 20 minutes to acquire the gps? Mine regularly takes 20 or more minutes to acquire a signal. To be clear...I have been in a clear location without any obstructions with the sky. This happens over a mile offshore on my RIB (no top) throughout the Florida Keys, as well as off Venice and Clearwater Florida and now offshore from Myrtle Beach, SC. I couldn't even make a connection yesterday. It kept timing out and returning to the home screen (even while resting my hand on top of my head for a few minutes).

I bought my Atmos last December and kept the firmware updated. I think there may be issues with my gps antennae.

Is there any customer support in the USA? The website seems to show a phone number only in Taiwan.

I'm debating on buying another on Amazon just to see if the gps works better...and then returning it. :wink: The only reason I bought the Atmos was to record my gps entry coordinates in case I'm too far to see my boat's dive flags when I surface. I primarily use my Perdix for regular dive information.

Thanks
Is it possible the GPS is hard-wired (or has default setting) to assume its location is in Europe, and so has to iterate a very long time to get a solution for a location on the other side of the world?

I just put mine in scuba mode on my couch in FL. Took about 45 seconds to acquire signal. It has taken as long as 5 min. There are good GPS days and bad ones. I have several speer fishing spots stored on mine. don't need to take my garmin handheld anymore

I have always received prompt responses from the tech support link on Atmos web page. Small language barrier, but they have always been patient and more than willing to help.

I've now been using mine for more than a year, and I still think it's one of the best dive computer bangs for the buck.

We have two, however the GPS function just doesn't work (not that it bothers us as we don't require GPS). No matter how long we leave them in the open, they never acquire a GPS signal.

I think it would be great if there was an option to turn off the GPS, as maybe this would extend the battery life - which is quite good already (and get rid of the flashing satellite which just annoys me a little).

We still really think they are a great recreational dive computer and are very happy with them - just don't rely on the GPS.

We have two, however the GPS function just doesn't work (not that it bothers us as we don't require GPS). No matter how long we leave them in the open, they never acquire a GPS signal.

I think it would be great if there was an option to turn off the GPS, as maybe this would extend the battery life - which is quite good already (and get rid of the flashing satellite which just annoys me a little).

We still really think they are a great recreational dive compute and are very happy with them - just don't rely on the GPS.
Have you updated them to the latest firmware version? I haven't had this problem with my student computers or the ones I've sold.

Have you updated them to the latest firmware version? I haven't had this problem with my student computers or the ones I've sold.
Yes, updated to 1.022.
I still think this is a great recreational dive computer, I just have a feeling you may be able to extend the battery life if you could turn the GPS off.
I did send an email off to Atmos requesting this function, so maybe on the next firmware update 🤞

As tursiops mentioned, it's possible the GPS is hard-wired and takes a very long time to get a solution for a location on the other side of the world (like Tasmania - Australia).

Back
Top Bottom