Atom 2.0 New User Questions/Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

growtogether

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Doug,

I used my new Atom 2.0 (and new Delta 4) for the first time Saturday. I'm a volunteer diver at an aquarium, so that's where my first "test" was. The computer seems to be pretty amazing, although a bit complicated. A couple of questions I hoped you might be able to answer.

1) The dive at the aquarium was only 10 feet, but I had the audible alarm set to ON and had the SET TURN PRESSURE set at 1500 and LOW AIR at 300. I did not hear it beep at either timepoint - I ran the tank down to 170psi, but no warning given. I've tested the countdown timer and it will beep and light will flash.

2) I went to our swimming pool at home after the dive (several hours later) and tried to make a "free dive". I set it to Free Dive mode using the Mode button, but it kept changing to "gauge mode" within a few seconds after (I was not continuing to hold the Mode button). I went down to 5ft and it locked the computer in gauge mode for the next 24 hours. Any idea what I might be doing wrong. I've been trying to figure it out, but the manual is quite confusing. Looks like you should be able to do free dives after a normal dive.

3) I tried again today (Tuesday) to make a free dive (no dives made since Sat). I pressed the mode button three times and got it into free dive mode. However, after about 10 seconds it changes back to NORM SEA mode screen. I got it back to FREE DIVE mode and immediately went down in the pool. However, the dive was logged as a NORM SEA dive. I waited 10 minutes, again placed it into FREE DIVE and immediately descended, but again it recorded as a normal dive. This was just about 36 minutes ago. The computer is in Surface mode. If I press Mode button it will scroll through to GAUGE mode and FREE Mode. NORM SEA and GAUGE both show 2 dives and surface interval. FREE mode shows 0 dives and same 36 minute interval + seconds.

Please help. I have a trip to Honduras planned in September and typically do 4-6 dives daily while there, plus some snorkeling and want to ensure I have this all figured out by then. I emailed tech service on the Oceanic site Saturday, but have not received a response so I thought I'd try through you as your responsiveness on this site was one of the main reasons that I decided to stick with Oceanic computers (I also have a Dataplus and had the non-nitrox model before that) and try my first oceanic regulator.

In case it helps, the version number in the computer display is r3d and manufacture date appears to be 06/07 based on date on the side of the box.

Thanks

Jason

Congratulations on your purchase! I use both the Delta IV and the Atom 2. You're going to love them!

How did you set the options? Using the buttons on the Atom2, or through the Oceanlog software? If using Oceanlog, you need to be sure to write your settings out to the PDC.

I've never used the Free Dive mode, so I can't help you there.

I used the buttons on the Atom. I still have not had the chance to download the software yet.

growtogether:
1) The dive at the aquarium was only 10 feet, but I had the audible alarm set to ON and had the SET TURN PRESSURE set at 1500 and LOW AIR at 300. I did not hear it beep at either timepoint - I ran the tank down to 170psi, but no warning given. I've tested the countdown timer and it will beep and light will flash.
Is the alarm working on the surface - either the countdown or daily alarm function? The only way in which we will be able to determine whether it is working as it should will be to get it back here for evaluation and service if needed. Give Mark, David or Ron a call at 800-435-3483, ext. 761 - they'll get it turned around quickly for you.

growtogether:
2) I went to our swimming pool at home after the dive (several hours later) and tried to make a "free dive". I set it to Free Dive mode using the Mode button, but it kept changing to "gauge mode" within a few seconds after (I was not continuing to hold the Mode button). I went down to 5ft and it locked the computer in gauge mode for the next 24 hours. Any idea what I might be doing wrong. I've been trying to figure it out, but the manual is quite confusing. Looks like you should be able to do free dives after a normal dive.

3) I tried again today (Tuesday) to make a free dive (no dives made since Sat). I pressed the mode button three times and got it into free dive mode. However, after about 10 seconds it changes back to NORM SEA mode screen. I got it back to FREE DIVE mode and immediately went down in the pool. However, the dive was logged as a NORM SEA dive. I waited 10 minutes, again placed it into FREE DIVE and immediately descended, but again it recorded as a normal dive. This was just about 36 minutes ago. The computer is in Surface mode. If I press Mode button it will scroll through to GAUGE mode and FREE Mode. NORM SEA and GAUGE both show 2 dives and surface interval. FREE mode shows 0 dives and same 36 minute interval + seconds.
This one is easier - Once in dive mode, with NORM displayed - holding the MODE (upper left) button for 2 seconds will advance to GAUG, and an additional 2 seconds will advance to FREE. Release the button when your desired operating mode appears. NOW THE IMPORTANT PART - you will notice that the operating mode description will be flashing - you will need to press and release the MODE button in order to confirm the switch. If the action is not confirmed within 10 seconds, the AOM will revert to the previously set mode.

Hope that helps -

Thanks Doug! I missed the important part (so much for someone with an MBA!). The extra press made all the difference.

The countdown alarm and the alarm clock both work on the surface. I'm assuming I must have not set something right. I'll try to get to a quarry in the next several weeks to get in a deeper dive and test these out and hold off on sending it back.

It's most likely "me" and "not the computer".

I'll probably have more questions as I go along.

Just to confirm, I can do a NORM NITROX dive and then snorkel/free dive the same day. I just need to ensure that I lock in the mode correctly before entering the water.

growtogether:
Thanks Doug! I missed the important part (so much for someone with an MBA!). The extra press made all the difference.

The countdown alarm and the alarm clock both work on the surface. I'm assuming I must have not set something right. I'll try to get to a quarry in the next several weeks to get in a deeper dive and test these out and hold off on sending it back.

Before you go to the quarry, download the software and check your settings. I always use the software now -- I had a lot of trouble getting my ProPlus 2 configured correctly. The software makes it MUCH easier.

And yeah, I've missed the extra press before and couldn't figure out why my Atom wasn't acting right! Thanks Doug, that part helped me too! :D

If you do need to send it in, the service guys will take VERY good care of you! I've had to use Oceanic's service before and they are very fast, knowledgeable, and friendly. Oceanic's customer service is great all around.

Thanks Phil. I'll download the software this weekend and read the entire manual again.

I agree - Oceanic has always been great about service, upgrades, etc. I also decided to upgrade my old (1992) Cressi Sub FX regulator to the Delta 4. It was getting difficult to find dealers with the parts in stock, so figured why not treat myself :))

Back
Top Bottom