Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry if I missed it but is the Cobalt download software compatible with Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit and Windows RT on the Microsoft Surface? I see Diving Log 5.0 and Touch is happy on both.
I'm a long ways from being a Windows expert, but my guess is it should be- so far as I know it's using the same driver as Diving Log 5.0. I will pass along the question to the developer of the Windows application.

Ron

1.13/2 here on 3 Cobalts currently in use on Provo. I saw the zero on the no fly time last night and figured Atomic thought they fixed the problem with the new year.

What REALLY bugs me is the poor quality of these units. I love them but come on! My sons cobalt is currently in charging stopped mode. Thankfully we only have 4 more dives @43% power with brightness on minimum. Can't seem to find out why. When i unplug and plug in there is a "Charged Stopped d" The d left on the screen is an error but goes away once unpluged again. My wife has had hers replaced after 2 pool and one open water dive due to button failure. Is Atomic going to extend the warranty when mine goes this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mikeycanuk,

re. your son's Cobalt, the "Charge Stopped" message should only come up if the battery is outside the temperature range within which it can be safely charged- too hot or too cold. The battery charging circuitry is not getting the message that the battery is OK to charge. If you see this message when the battery is at normal temperatures, it is an indication that the thermistor on the battery itself may be malfunctioning. If his Cobalt is running normally, and you don't see the charge dropping more rapidly than normal (1-2% or so overnight, if it's just idle and asleep), then it's likely the issue is with charging only, and not with something more serious, like a leak. A 40% charge should be good for around 15-20 hours of dive time at moderate screen brightness. Most likely you will need a replacement battery. If you want to PM me when you return I can help arrange for as painless a repair and diagnosis as possible. If you have any other concerns or questions I'm available.

I don't work for Atomic, but we are the original developers and responsible for the software and electronics design of the Cobalt, and I can assure you that Atomic has been very good about taking care of any problems, they are the most customer oriented company I've world with in almost 30 years in the diving business. I would not be concerned about the two year warranty. There were a number of glitches, mostly related to mechanical problems, like the buttons, with early production, those have been resolved. The date issue should have been- in fact it was fixed as of last January, but the firmware update hasn't made it up onto the Atomic website yet. Hopefully it will soon, along with many other enhancements. Let me know if there is anything more I can do.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I'm going to get the dive shop to send this one back. Not paying UPS on my dime again.

On my Cobalt the dust cap is almost ripped off. How do I get a new backplate?

Thanks Ron, I'm going to get the dive shop to send this one back. Not paying UPS on my dime again.

On my Cobalt the dust cap is almost ripped off. How do I get a new backplate?

The dust cap is as separate part retained under the battery door, I'm sure Atomic will send you another one if you want to put it on. Here are instructions for removing and replacing the battery door- it's no more complicated than sealing up a camera housing, and doesn't expose any of the electronics. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71299384/BatteryReplace.pdf Or you could have your dealer do it. For that matter, your dealer could check/ replace the battery on your son's Cobalt- that is considered a normal dealer service item, and they could just get a replacement for you, if they are willing. If it's just the battery, there is really no need for it to go back. You might have your dealer request another cap for yours. If I can help, let me know.

Ron

Can't seem to find the answer anywhere...how do you delete/clear the dive log?

Can't seem to find the answer anywhere...how do you delete/clear the dive log?
It's not a normal user function, but there is a way.
I sent you the instructions for this via PM. This is an irrevocable deletion of the entire log, so be sure it's really what you want.

Ron

I attempted a firmware update on the Atomic Cobalt yesterday on a Mac running OS X. The application got stuck on preparing for cobalt download message and never moved passed it (I let it sit for several hours). Now the dive computer is stuck in connected to PC mode. Is there a way to reset the dive computer? Wondering if the firmware update may have wiped it out as a first step though and if there might be some sort of way to reset it to the factory image.

I attempted a firmware update on the Atomic Cobalt yesterday on a Mac running OS X. The application got stuck on preparing for cobalt download message and never moved passed it (I let it sit for several hours). Now the dive computer is stuck in connected to PC mode. Is there a way to reset the dive computer? Wondering if the firmware update may have wiped it out as a first step though and if there might be some sort of way to reset it to the factory image.
Updating firmware should take only a minute or so, anything longer anything longer and it's not happening for some reason.
What version of OSX were you running? Were you using the new (Version 2.05) Mac flash tool- it sounds like you were? This was just uploaded to the Atomic site within the last few days.

Am I understanding correctly that the Cobalt is stuck showing the green "Connected to PC" message, you can't back up? It won't go to sleep in that screen. The first step you would see with an update happening is the screen going blank- unplugging after that happens will cause the update to fail, though there are recovery instructions on the Atomic site. Recovering from a failed update just requires another step. Those instructions are at the bottom of the page here: Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software

I would unplug, quit the Mac application, and re plug and restart the process. See if the Mac application recognizes the Cobalt. You will want to make sure the cable and adapter are secure, and it wouldn't hurt to try a different USB port on the Mac. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you detailed instructions for a battery (hard) reset.

Ron

Updating firmware should take only a minute or so, anything longer anything longer and it's not happening for some reason.
What version of OSX were you running? Were you using the new (Version 2.05) Mac flash tool- it sounds like you were? This was just uploaded to the Atomic site within the last few days.

Am I understanding correctly that the Cobalt is stuck showing the green "Connected to PC" message, you can't back up? It won't go to sleep in that screen. The first step you would see with an update happening is the screen going blank- unplugging after that happens will cause the update to fail, though there are recovery instructions on the Atomic site. Recovering from a failed update just requires another step. Those instructions are at the bottom of the page here: Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software

I would unplug, quit the Mac application, and re plug and restart the process. See if the Mac application recognizes the Cobalt. You will want to make sure the cable and adapter are secure, and it wouldn't hurt to try a different USB port on the Mac. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you detailed instructions for a battery (hard) reset.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply.

I am running OSX 10.8.2
Also, I am running 2.0.5 of the updater and selected the Cobalt_113_Enduser hex file.

The Cobalt is stuck on the Connect to PC screen with a "CONNECTED!" green message at the bottom.
None of the buttons respond. The screen on the Cobalt never went blank.
The updater said "Preparing Cobalt for Download (DO NOT UNPLUG)"

In following the Mac instructions for a failed download, it says to press the "Start Update" button, but the only thing I can do is select a hex file.
After plugging in the Cobalt again, the Mac does not recognize it as a device so the update buttons is not available.
I did try both USB ports.

Will send you a PM for the hard reset. I was thinking the battery would eventually drain and I could reconnect the AC power.
Still concerned that it wiped the existing firmware though and it won't restart at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom