Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Calibrating the compass - I really don't like the process of manually pushing the buttons upside down while its in the box? It seems like it should just give audible cues to flip the thing over and turn it, and just on it's body - so people don't have to bring a carboard box (that will wear out over time) with them when traveling. Given the shape, that might not be doable though.
Thanks. You can calibrate the compass "freehand"- the box is a good guide, but if you are reasonably careful to rotate 180° and rest the Cobalt in an upside-down but level position using the case just above and below the lens as a guide(this is the hardest part) you should get decent results.

2) Make it easier to dial in a heading. When I have the Cobalt pointed at my heading and I press the button to set the heading, I *always* get something like 10-20 degrees off my intended heading. On the screen where it states "Set Bearing Line to xx degrees...yes=SELECT No=Back", you should be able to fine tune the heading using the up/down arrows.
With the firmware update you should see a big improvement in how the compass bearing reflects the last heading displayed. The idea to be able to alter headings in the dialog is an interesting one.

3) Add the ability to set a second heading to make triangulation simple (myself I'd allow up to 3 headings, one for each of the right, up and down buttons - the back button obviously turns off the compass).
Coming up with a means of allowing multiple bearings without complicating the interface is on our list.

4) In the log, I'd like to see the interval time between each dive, at least if they've been done on the same day. Though I wouldn't want to clutter the log screens either. Just a nice-to-have.
With the firmware update this information does display, showing surface intervals up to 99 hours.

And I agree with at least several other posters that I've seen mention a protective case would be a welcome addition!
Yep.

Thanks. You can calibrate the compass "freehand"- the box is a good guide, but if you are reasonably careful to rotate 180° and rest the Cobalt in an upside-down but level position using the case just above and below the lens as a guide(this is the hardest part) you should get decent results.

I did my calibration for this Cozumel trip using this method. It worked well for me. I was expecting no calibration required after calibrating in Southern Cal, but no big deal the "freehand" calibration worked easily and effectively.

Coming up with a means of allowing multiple bearings without complicating the interface is on our list.

For me. An option in the settings that would display four points based on the heading as follows. The the current two points heading (Green) 180 degrees away (Red) and then in addition 90 degree clockwise (White) 90 degrees counter clockwise (yellow). If this was an option in the settings then it could be ignored.

Having the 90 degree points calculated for the user does give a simple way to navigate around objects and return to the original heading. Not quite the same thing as the other poster asked for However, it would provide some extra optional functionality without making things overly complicated.

And having a more logical sort on the PC software should be on the list. My Cobalt dive log now is looking very chaotic; with this weird sorting. I was hoping I could go into the database and trick the sort order back to something more logical (to me). I did not find a way to do it.

If there was simple way to export the data from Atomic log into some kind of standard format that would be great. I could choose something other than Dive Log which at least for me has a number of short comings (which perhaps can be worked around but not yet solved for me).

Hi Michael, you can import the Cobalt logbook into Diving Log and then export to several formats like Excel, CSV, XML, UDDF.

Yes I was forgetting that. Another good feature in Diving Log.

If only I could import all the information from my Uwatec SmartTrak. I can get the dives in. But I can't import my equipment and I'm hesitant to invest all of the time to re enter it manually and then risk running into another issue. Is there an easy way to import all of my equipment. And if so will the links from equipment to dives be maintained. Almost all of my data is in my Smartrak database.

Currently only dives can be imported, sorry. But you could use Access to copy the data from SmartTrak to Diving Log.

Sven guided me through my Diving Log questions. It does look like Diving Log is is a good option for me and my switch to the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt. And so I'll end my Diving Log questions in this thread. Thread Hi-Jack over. :)

Last edited:
So RonR,

I just got back from my live aboard on the Explorer Ventures T&C II,

The computer worked flawlessly. Everyone on board kept commenting on it all week and had computer envy. The dive masters noted that they could easily see my data by simply passing by. Everyone said that on the night dives the computer was especially visible and readable. The compass was easy to use and the bearing marker capability made getting back to the boat much easier. The screen guard worked well. I don't know why everyone on this thread is having problems. The screen visibility in direct sunlight was tough but manageable. No one could believe that managing the settings was so easy.

On my second to the last dive of the week (dive 26) the computer put me into a deep stop. The computer made it quite clear what I needed to do and to do now to stay out of deco! The color of the bars still needs to be improved or you need to add a line between the green, yellow and red so it gives a more visual reference but that is minor. The red was quite visible as were the deco warnings.

The only drawback for the other divers was the price tag. Most folks gulped when they heard $1,200.

Bottom line, this is the computer I've been waiting for and it delivered everything I expected and more.

Don

The computer worked flawlessly. Everyone on board kept commenting on it all week and had computer envy. The dive masters noted that they could easily see my data by simply passing by. Everyone said that on the night dives the computer was especially visible and readable. The compass was easy to use and the bearing marker capability made getting back to the boat much easier. The screen guard worked well. I don't know why everyone on this thread is having problems. The screen visibility in direct sunlight was tough but manageable. No one could believe that managing the settings was so easy.

On my second to the last dive of the week (dive 26) the computer put me into a deep stop. The computer made it quite clear what I needed to do and to do now to stay out of deco! The color of the bars still needs to be improved or you need to add a line between the green, yellow and red so it gives a more visual reference but that is minor. The red was quite visible as were the deco warnings.

The only drawback for the other divers was the price tag. Most folks gulped when they heard $1,200.

Bottom line, this is the computer I've been waiting for and it delivered everything I expected and more.

Don
Don, Thanks. The comments we receive on the Cobalt are overwhelmingly positive. People tend to write to boards like this when they have problems, and that can skew the picture a bit. I think one of the main reasons they have been coming here is that there is at present no email support link on the Atomic site (hopefully there will be soon). This thread became the default support and question forum. But 95% of the reactions we get are like yours.
Ron

I love my Atomic Cobalt however part of it broke? And then it takes time to get back :( I got to decide when I wont go diving again for a while or go without it? I hope this is not common.

Its too bad the local dealer of Atomic cant deal with it or something..

http://i.imgur.com/XrVcU.jpg 7 dives logged :(

I love my Atomic Cobalt however part of it broke?
http://i.imgur.com/XrVcU.jpg 7 dives logged :(

That image concerns me a bit, I was planning to put a split ring in that slot and attach it to my BC with a gear keeper. Now I wonder if trying to use that point to attach the Cobalt is not such a good idea. By the way back around # 211 there is mention of making a protector/case out of an old wetsuit. Actually I find a collapsible can koozie works pretty well paired with a pouch I got in the tool department at Lowes (AWP) I have a feeling a bottle koozie would work even better but I didn't have one of those laying around.

Two dives on my new Cobalt, Cozumel next week. Updated firmware on a Mac no problem. Using MacDive2 that I was already fond of and now even more so with the prompt Cobalt support from Nick

Message # 127: "Wow, this is super long thread":wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom