Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Cobalt yesterday, and being the geek that I am, took it out of the box, and proceeded to (without checking the firmware version) FLASH the unit with what i THOUGHT was the latest code. I suppose I should have checked my unit to see what version its running, but it seems nearly everything I buy these days needs to be flashed as soon as I receive it to work at all. Well, I flashed it to the latest code on the website. 1.11 now I see that there is a newer firmware out, and that likely my computer already had it. (rats!) Even worse is that I cannot download that version. Most flash programs will check the current version, and report no upgrade necessary or newer versions on a device, or at least ask you if you are sure that you want to do this. This is a minor issue, as my computer is working fine, the only reason that it is any issue at all is that the new firmware is not available from the Atomic website. Before you go saying the differences are minor, I actually DO want the more audible alarms. I am a space cadet and need these alarms. One of the big reasons I upgraded my computer. -- To the point - How do I get the 1.12 code? Also, once a flash has been applied is it necessary to re-calibrate the compass? Thanks again, this is a beautiful dive computer, and I really look forward to using it.

IMHO the Cobalt is simply not production ready...and I nearly exclusively dive the AA-branded gear.[/QUOTE] from HIGHwing

after 611 posts reguarding colbalt issues (some minor, many not so) and a few kudos(mostly to RonR whose timely and informative responses have been commendable), i couldn't agree more with your comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Now that I have put a couple dozen dives on mine, I would not buy it again and I am a pretty hard core Atomic fan. It has a lot going for it, but a lot of strangeness with it as well.

My buttons don't always work, time is constantly wrong and has to be reset before each dive day, inaudible alarms, have to watch how I charge it and for how long, still no case, software is very rough and easy to screw up firmware loads (pics below), difficult to read in direct sunlight and is constantly wrong about the temperature. Mine will probably hit the for sale board soon as I move onto something that works better.

Things wrong with software:
  • Do not change the default installation location or it will not be able to find its MDB database file and the program will not start
  • The buttons on my firmware update screen are virtually invisible - pic below
  • It does not force the user to select a hex file and comes up with a default OpenDialog selection which is VERY lazy programming - pic below
  • No safety check on the flash file so users can flash any file including no file at all and cause the display to no longer work. If they tinker around they can reflash the unit to fix it but it isn't obvious
  • The installation directory and driver directory are two different locations on the computer which again is sloppy. Both should have been in Atomics or AtomicsAquatics by default or wherever the user told it to go.
  • Simply put the product is ugly and what little is there is poorly constructed. I expect more from a $1200 dive computer.
The software is just sloppy and poorly coded. Next time call me and either I will do it or send you to a contractor who can actually write decent code. There is nothing hard at all about what they wrote and no reason it should be this poorly written.

cobalt1.jpg

cobalt2.jpg

Im planning on using MacDive with my Cobalt. So far that application is awesome looking. I dont have any dives in it other than the sample dive, but tomorrow I will be using it to dive. Macdive was only 25 bucks, which seemed to be a good value.

RonR, I have two cobalts. One I phat fingered the file, just picked the one above it in the list and now I can't get it to load the actual .hex file. I've followed the instructions on the Atomic website outlining how to cure this if you pointed the flash software for a mac to the wrong file but it just does not recognize the unit and does not transfer the correct file so now I have a dead unit. Is there a reset mechanism or what can be done at this point?

Thanks in advance

I bought a Cobalt yesterday, and being the geek that I am, took it out of the box, and proceeded to (without checking the firmware version) FLASH the unit with what i THOUGHT was the latest code. I suppose I should have checked my unit to see what version its running, but it seems nearly everything I buy these days needs to be flashed as soon as I receive it to work at all. Well, I flashed it to the latest code on the website. 1.11 now I see that there is a newer firmware out, and that likely my computer already had it. (rats!) Even worse is that I cannot download that version. Most flash programs will check the current version, and report no upgrade necessary or newer versions on a device, or at least ask you if you are sure that you want to do this. This is a minor issue, as my computer is working fine, the only reason that it is any issue at all is that the new firmware is not available from the Atomic website. Before you go saying the differences are minor, I actually DO want the more audible alarms. I am a space cadet and need these alarms. One of the big reasons I upgraded my computer. -- To the point - How do I get the 1.12 code? Also, once a flash has been applied is it necessary to re-calibrate the compass? Thanks again, this is a beautiful dive computer, and I really look forward to using it.
Send me a PM with an email and I'll get you the file- or give it a few days and the new file should be on the Atomic Website along with an updated Windows desktop program.

Now that I have put a couple dozen dives on mine, I would not buy it again and I am a pretty hard core Atomic fan. It has a lot going for it, but a lot of strangeness with it as well.

My buttons don't always work, time is constantly wrong and has to be reset before each dive day, inaudible alarms, have to watch how I charge it and for how long, still no case, software is very rough and easy to screw up firmware loads (pics below), difficult to read in direct sunlight and is constantly wrong about the temperature. <snip>

I'll refrain from further comment about the desktop software, except that your criticisms are valid. As I've said earlier it was Atomic's decision to do this at all, rather than rely on third party programs, though I know they are set to release an updated version that addresses many of these issues (particularly with the firmware update process). I think third party dive log programs like Diving Log are always going to be better than any software manufacturers come up with.

Some of your other comments puzzle and concern me:
What do you mean about the time needing to be reset? The internal clock is very accurate and should always remain spot on as long as the battery is charged. If the time is off- as in reset to just after the last dive- then it could indicate that an internal reset has taken place, which indicates a serious problem, like water in the electronics. If this is happening the Cobalt should come back to Atomic.

I'm not sure what you mean about having to watch how you charge it- the charge monitoring (as with all Li Ion rechargeable batteries) is done by the device- all you need to do is plug it in. It can't be overcharged.

The buttons, obviously, should work- if they are not registering presses the Cobalt should be repaired- there were some problems with the magnet strength matching early in production, it's not an issue now.

The new firmware version 1.12 does alter the alarms- it's not a huge difference, but they are a bit easier to hear. The OLED screen, like all emissive displays, is hard to see in direct sunlight. To a large extent, the easier you make a display to see in direct sunlight, the less clear it is in dim light. Both these items are part of the nature of the computer, part of the compromises in design.

Others have commented about the temperature readings not being the same as their other computers- the Cobalt case is pretty massive, and may slow down the temperature response compared to a lighter case, but whenever we have tested these the Cobalt temperature was very accurate. The temperature sensor is integral to the depth sensor.

Contact me if you need any help arranging for repair or replacement.

Ron

Last edited:
What do you mean about the time needing to be reset? The internal clock is very accurate and should always remain spot on as long as the battery is charged.
My clock is fine just after a dive but somewhere within a week it looses an hour or more regardless of the charge state (I have never let mine run down below 50%). I have seen it as much as 2 hours off overnight but often it will only be 5-10 minutes off. I set it to my cell clock this morning and it is already off by 5 minutes.

I'm not sure what you mean about having to watch how you charge it- the charge monitoring (as with all Li Ion rechargeable batteries) is done by the device- all you need to do is plug it in. It can't be overcharged.
A lot of battery issues reported with the unit. Two people I know sent theirs back in already for faulty battery issues. Makes me paranoid about keeping mine charged and never letting it run dry. Right now I am away from home with only the USB charger. I would not even think of letting it run all the way down for fear I couldn't bring it back with just a USB charge.

The buttons, obviously, should work- if they are not registering presses the Cobalt should be repaired- there were some problems with the magnet strength matching early in production, it's not an issue now.
Mine comes and goes. Sometimes on a dive I am hitting a button a half dozen times to register. It is fairly intermittent but the down and right seem to be finicky from time to time.

The new firmware version 1.12 does alter the alarms- it's not a huge difference, but they are a bit easier to hear. The OLED screen, like all emissive displays, is hard to see in direct sunlight. To a large extent, the easier you make a display to see in direct sunlight, the less clear it is in dim light. Both these items are part of the nature of the computer, part of the compromises in design.
That might be true of some devices but a Uemis and the Xen I have seen do not suffer from readability issues in direct light nearly as much. I think there is a lot of glare on the Atomic compared to other devices I have seen. Also the sound is a minor issue but detracts from the overall satisfaction level of the product.

Others have commented about the temperature readings not being the same as their other computers- the Cobalt case is pretty massive, and may slow down the temperature response compared to a lighter case, but whenever we have tested these the Cobalt temperature was very accurate. The temperature sensor is integral to the depth sensor.
Now here is something I can actually test in a somewhat controlled environment. In a reef tank kept at a very specific temp by some very high end equipment, my Cobalt reads 3+ degrees warmer than it actually is. This is after being submerged for over 20 minutes. It is even worse in ambient air as it reads 5+ degrees warmer in some instances. It consistently does the same compared to my diving buddies computer.

Contact me if you need any help arranging for repair or replacement.
I do have an earlier model I believe but will sending it in actually resolve these issues or are these issues common in the units? I know of at least two other people who dive this unit with similar problems albeit there units are not as off as mine nor seem to have as many problems but mine hasn't been back for warranty work either.

I'll refrain from further comment about the desktop software, except that your criticisms are valid. As I've said earlier it was Atomic's decision to do this at all, rather than rely on third party programs, though I know they are set to release an updated version that addresses many of these issues (particularly with the firmware update process). I think third party dive log programs like Diving Log are always going to be better than any software manufacturers come up with.
Fair enough.

I do want to say thanks for hanging in the thread. I know it cannot be easy at times when unhappy people post.

Anyone out there have experience with the problem of the unit not responding after following the instructions for the failed firmware upload? I use a mac and have followed the in instructions religiously. Even remembered to unplug the usb adaptor after the barber pole starts moving. Nada. All help is greatly appreciated.

Anyone out there have experience with the problem of the unit not responding after following the instructions for the failed firmware upload? I use a mac and have followed the in instructions religiously. Even remembered to unplug the usb adaptor after the barber pole starts moving. Nada. All help is greatly appreciated.
If you experienced a failed update, either due to picking the wrong file or a cable disruption, most of the time the instructions on the Atomic website for recovery will work- on the Mac, this requires starting the update, then unplugging and re-plugging in the USB connector. However, if the updating failed in just the wrong way, it may require that the battery be removed from the Cobalt and the procedure for firmware updating be performed while the battery is removed. Officially battery removal is a "dealer" procedure, though it's not more difficult than removing and replacing a camera in a housing. If anyone has this problem PM me and I'll help you work through it.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom