Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOOOO I then have to change my USB drivers so I can communicate with the DC using the Cobalt PITA software. Then that Garbage won't download the update so I have to manually download it and put it where it needs to be to get the update installed in the DC.

have you ever tried to connect your Cobalt to another USB Port? This is working on my Vista Computer: One Port with Driver for DiveLog 5, another with the Driver for Atomic Software for updates. Works fine on my computer without using zadig every change.

I imagine you are frustrated. However it is our money that was invested in a dive computer that is a struggle to maintain. I am not a happy camper!...
You state the issue very well. Switching drivers is a pain, and it shouldn't be necessary. We want to have an easy method of updating firmware, as we had always conceived of the Cobalt as being a computer that would be evolving and improving over time. This last update contains a number of these improvements.

You are helping me make the case that there needs to be standalone updating functionality, independent of the dive log program. We feel that all along (including how long it took to get initially) this Windows software has been the source of the most complaints- frustrating, since we have no control over it, yet it reflects poorly on us. I do think Atomic has come to realize this as well, and is developing an alternative.

I'll try to find out Monday why the Windows program isn't finding the new firmware as it should- it may be that it wasn't uploaded to the server correctly, I don't know. It should upload the file automatically.

As to fixing the dates in you log, that's something we will handle directly, and we will do it quickly so you are not without the computer.

Ron

Thank you for the clarification!

Tejas

If you have the 1.17 firmware installed you have already fixed the leap year display issue. Installing the current firmware is one of the fixes, the other is to just manually change the date after March 1.

It didn't require but a slight change to the firmware to correct that particular error, but we need to replace the firmware in the Cobalt in order to make any change at all- that's just the nature of these sort of systems, and we were ready to go with a new version with some enhancements. Regular firmware updates allow us to respond to user feature requests and offer improvements, as well as fix any issues that turn up.

Not sure what you mean about the Mac users, except that firmware updating is not working reliably in Apple's new Lion operating system. That's an issue we have been trying to get help with from Apple, but without much success.

So far as I can tell, MacDive and Diving Log 5.0 are working well for pretty much everyone. The Atomic Windows software, OTOH, has had many issues with varying Windows systems. That was 3rd party product, and for those of you who have followed this thread all along, you know our (the Cobalt designers) recommendation was for Atomic to not offer their own dive log software, but to rely on people like Nick from MacDive and Sven of Diving Log who are dedicated to developing and supporting a good solution.

We are working on a new method for updating firmware that will take all the various desktop operating system variations out of the picture, those issues have been about 98% of the problems we have experienced.

Ron

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that depending on others to provide the dive log software is a huge mistake. A mistake that could still be corrected by Atomic. I have settled on mac dive and like it, but for a company like Atomic to totally depend on others for such an important part of the user experience of the product seems a bit strange. Don't get me wrong, i really like this computer, and having lived through y2k in the "IT" industry, i understand how things like leap year dates could get messed up through firmware. That said, it just seems Atomic tried (and is continuing to try) to take the easy way out on desktop software. To me, that decision is just not working. Again, the cobalt is a great, simple to use computer with one major hole it its design that shows up time and again.

I don't agree completely. Writing and maintaining a good application isn't trivial. I wouldn't be surprised if companies specialized in hardware products (e.g. dive computers) and accompanying embedded software (e.g. the dive computer firmware) don't have the skills and/or the resources for developing desktop software. And even if they do, the amount of resources invested will probably be limited (compared to the hardware side). After all their main product is the hardware and the software is merely an extra feature. They don't make money from the software.

Due to my involvement with the libdivecomputer project, I have installed and used a huge number of logbook applications from many different manufacturers. Unfortunately, very often the functionality is very basic, the user interface isn't up to current standards, etc. Of course they (usually) work, but they don't really impress me either.

For the third-party software developers, like macdive and divinglog, the software is there main product, and it's not very hard to notice that. The number of features is very high, the interface is typically better designed, and so on. Even if manufacturers would make a huge step forward, they will always be behind the innovation and flexibility of the community. For example some people prefer a traditional desktop application, some prefer an web-based or even a mobile solution. And then I haven't even mentioned the choice of operating system. No manufacturer will ever be able to satisfy all needs, now or in the future, but there are already good third-party solutions right now! So why not cooperate with those efforts instead?

I'm convinced Atomics made the right decision to cooperate with third-party developers. Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility to develop their own application. But at least they give users the freedom to choose the application they like most. I could be wrong, but I'm convinced relying on a third-party software is better than providing some low quality software.

Atomics isn't the only company in this position. Just look at the complaints about the new Suunto DM4 software here on scubaboard.

I don't agree completely. Writing and maintaining a good application isn't trivial. I wouldn't be surprised if companies specialized in hardware products (e.g. dive computers) and accompanying embedded software (e.g. the dive computer firmware) don't have the skills and/or the resources for developing desktop software. And even if they do, the amount of resources invested will probably be limited (compared to the hardware side). ...<snip>.

Exactly. We (the Cobalt hardware and embedded developers) are not desktop software developers, and don't have the skills or resources to develop Windows and Mac application software. In any case we need to be spending our effort on improving and developing the Cobalt. Better to leave desktop dive log software to those who have that development as their main focus.

I can't think of a single manufacturer supplied dive log application that is anywhere near the standard set by MacDive or Divinglog. Atomic does deserve credit for being one of very few manufacturers to explicitly support and cooperate with open source projects like the libdivecomputer project, and to support 3rd party developers. That seems to me the best solution by far for their customers.

Ron

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that depending on others to provide the dive log software is a huge mistake. A mistake that could still be corrected by Atomic.

I agree completely.
I disagree with Ron's camera analogy (further back in this thread). I am a Nikon owner and find their software superior even to Photoshop (for most work with photographs) and use it even with my Cannon pictures. Having the superior software improves my loyalty to the brand.
I have not had much luck with the Diving log software and until this last episode with the V1.17 firmware (I can't upload to the Cobalt Dive log on an XP system with the 1.17 firmware and so I switched back to 1.12) I had given up with Diving Log. At the present time no matter what I do with drivers (with or without zadig) Diving log will not recognize my Cobalt as being connected to the computer.
I have resorted to using Subapro's Smartrack (a great piece of software in my opinion) as my main Dive Log (in conjunction with my back up diving computer). And the Cobalt Dive Log as a reference. I wish it was the other way around.

Perhaps if I had more confidence in Diving Log I could resort to importing the data from the other logs.

Last edited:
Hey Ron, any news on a case?

Exactly. We (the Cobalt hardware and embedded developers) are not desktop software developers, and don't have the skills or resources to develop Windows and Mac application software. In any case we need to be spending our effort on improving and developing the Cobalt. Better to leave desktop dive log software to those who have that development as their main focus.

I can't think of a single manufacturer supplied dive log application that is anywhere near the standard set by MacDive or Divinglog. Atomic does deserve credit for being one of very few manufacturers to explicitly support and cooperate with open source projects like the libdivecomputer project, and to support 3rd party developers. That seems to me the best solution by far for their customers.

Ron

But the fact that there is not even a consistanly stable method to update the firmware is a problem that has not been resolved through other developers update process.

Ron

This has been the position for a long time. Much of this position makes sense, however; the actual dive logging software is only aportion of the issue.
What needs to also be considered is the ability to update and maintain the firmware. This has been problematic from day 1. Initially there could be no updates because the software was not available. Since then there have been several issues that have proved to be roadblocks to this simple maintenance procedure. Initially it was understanding where the updates needed to be so the software could find them, then there were Windows version compatibility issues and Apple OS software availability. Even now there are issues with Lion compatibilityas well as issues with some down loading the firmware updates with Windows 7 and there are driver issues with some using Windows XP.
I was at my local dive shop just tonight and we were talking about the Cobalt. They are not going to carry it this time simply because of the software issues that still exist. They just are not willing to have to deal with trying to support the problems that come with the software compatibility, USB driver compatibility, firmware updating issues that are still so problematic.
I don't get it unless there is a family member involved or something. Why are they not seeking different resources to pick up the pieces and try to salvage this train wreck that just keeps going on and on? I have been on this ride for a year now and it still continues with software issue on top of software issue. I rarely stay with a problematic product this long but I do like the hardware and hang on to the hope that Atomic will wake up and find a new software developer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom