Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron... With the software not supporting MAC Lion.... has there been any preliminary testing with Mountain Lion? I am looking to update since it was just released, but don't want to unless it is going to be supported. But then again, if we had this conversation previously, I would have never been able to update to Lion. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
We are working with some Mac experts to get a firmware updater that will work with both Lion and Mountain Lion. It turned out to be a much more difficult issue than anyone thought, owing to changes in how Apple is handling USB processes. It may be that an interim firmware update will be required in order to get to a Lion(s) compatible version, as it may require a slightly changed procedure on the Cobalt user's side. Apple apparently got very aggressive about killing USB connections that are interrupted. We really do hope to have something soon, and when we do it will be for both new OS versions.

Ron

I just got back from my first week of diving the Cobalt. It was all recreational but some air and nitrox without a hitch. It is so intuitive and easy to read. Just awesome! When I got home I connected it to my Mac and MacDive2, the dives loaded in perfectly with the only thing I had to add were the locations. Very impressed.

Thanks Ron!! Looking forward to it!!

I wonder if a high contrast display, white on black, could be possible. It might help viewing the screen in bright sunlight. Just a thought.

I did my first dives with the Cobalt in a recent visit to the Mayan Riviera. My previous computer was an Aeris Atmos AI. As advertised, I found the the Cobalt to be very intuitive to set up and use. The screen was difficult to read on the suface in direct sunlight, but the OLED display was perfectly suited for diving the caverns of the Cenotes. I am sure the display will be great for night dives and any other low light environments. On the last dive of the trip, my pre-dive inspection found an air leak around the base of the Cobalt. In the field, I substituted a SPG for my HP computer hose and continued to use my Cobalt on a retractor as a non-air-integrated dive computer without the tank pressure reading. I learned about using the Cobalt without the HP hose in this forum. This adaption saved what turned out to be one of the better dives of the trip. Post trip, my LDS determined that the leak was caused by a broken tiny o-ring in the quick disconnect fitting on the HP hose. I will now include that o-ring in my save-a-dive kit. Overall, I am very pleased with my first dive experiences with the Cobalt.

I wonder if a high contrast display, white on black, could be possible. It might help viewing the screen in bright sunlight. Just a thought.
If you mean with the existing AMOLED display, then no,it wouldn't help. The fundamental problem in bright light is that an OLED display is emissive, not reflective, so it gets overwhelmed by extremely bright ambient light. It's like looking at a lightbulb on a sunny day- it can be hard to see if it's on or not. The tradeoff is the lack of need for backlighting, the low power requirements for a color display, and the sharpness and clarity in anything less than full sunlight conditions. As soon as you get much underwater the light is much less intense.

There are some very interesting e-paper type display technologies coming that are very readable in bright light, but then they require a light source to see them in dim conditions.

Ron

I read in part of a sale ad, that the cobalt has what is called a "Track Back" compass, and it will help get you back to where you started. But on the Atomic website there was nothing that mentioned it at all. Does it really have this and how does it work?

I read in part of a sale ad, that the cobalt has what is called a "Track Back" compass, and it will help get you back to where you started. But on the Atomic website there was nothing that mentioned it at all. Does it really have this and how does it work?
It's nothing magic. They're just pointing out that when you set a bearing, the compass automatically sets a reciprocal heading at 180° from the original heading. Follow the green circle out, the red triangle back. This phrase makes it sound like there is some navigational feature that will automatically guide you back, that's not the case.

Ron

Fifty dives, no problems, excellent battery life. The compass is fast enough, the display is excellent.

The only revelation I can offer is that the computer will stay nicely put if you tie a bolt snap to the computer and clip it off to your left hip D ring.

There are fancier computers out there, but there isn't a computer I'd rather dive for a fun dive. I plan my dive, and this computer tells me just how the plan is going, no fuss. And it offers excellent record keeping.

Thanks for making a device that makes diving even MORE fun!

Ron,

I have had my Cobalt for about 10 months. I registered it online when I purchased it. I love the Cobalt, it has been a great computer. Recently I had issues with the top button not responding and noticed that the button has come partially loose at the top throwing of the alignment of the magnet. It is very difficult to get the up button to respond at this point.

Do I need to take it back to the shop to,have it sent in for repair or can I send it in directly? Also, what is the turn around time for this repair?

Thank you for your assistance.

Back
Top Bottom