Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alternate please! I want both data points as well. Not having the time of day is annoying. But I frequently use the water temperature display, especially this time of year.

My 2 cents: although the temp sensor isn't very useful because it's heavily insulated by the thick case, I'm strongly against making changes to the display that aren't optional. A setting that let's you chose between a clock and a temp display, or chose to have those values alternate, would be welcome. A mandatory firmware update that just changes my computer to do either of those without the option to keep my display as-is would be unwelcome.

My 2 cents: although the temp sensor isn't very useful because it's heavily insulated by the thick case, I'm strongly against making changes to the display that aren't optional. A setting that let's you chose between a clock and a temp display, or chose to have those values alternate, would be welcome. A mandatory firmware update that just changes my computer to do either of those without the option to keep my display as-is would be unwelcome.

First time I have heard that, this is a known issue? I compared my temp with my buddies temp last week and the water temps were the same. He was using a Suunto computer. I had no idea that the Cobalt did not accurately display the water temperature. Has this been discussed in the forums?

... I certainly wouldnt want to give up the temp totally. There is a little space between the temp and the max depth though....................
There actually isn't any space there when the compass is active. If the depth goes to three digits, the entire screen width is taken up. We're looking at possibly alternating temp and time as an option- though we don't want it to look like blinking, which indicates an alert. Another possibility might be to display the time only when the compass is not showing.

We appreciate the feedback.

Ron

First time I have heard that, this is a known issue? I compared my temp with my buddies temp last week and the water temps were the same. He was using a Suunto computer. I had no idea that the Cobalt did not accurately display the water temperature. Has this been discussed in the forums?
The Cobalt's temperature sensor is integral with the depth sensor, and is quite accurate- at least every one we have tested was within a degree F or so, unless the sensor itself was bad. It's exactly the same part as is used in many other dive computers. However, compared to other dive computers, it is wrapped in a fairly massive case and will therefore tend to respond more slowly to changes in temperature. So you might pass through a thermocline, but it might take a while for the Cobalt to register the temperature change. This has been discussed earlier in this thread, but considering the thread's size, searching is probably the only way to find it.

Ron

There actually isn't any space there when the compass is active. If the depth goes to three digits, the entire screen width is taken up. We're looking at possibly alternating temp and time as an option- though we don't want it to look like blinking, which indicates an alert. Another possibility might be to display the time only when the compass is not showing.

We appreciate the feedback.

Ron
damn, i pretty much have mine in compass mode all the time, cant have everything i suppose. all joking aside its a great idea and a clock somewhere would very useful and much appreciated. I love my cobalt and have had no problems with it up to now. It always gets positive comments from those that havent seen one before and my regular dive buddy refers to it as Jodrel bank!

as for the temp, i use a wrist mount computer as backup and compare them all the time, especially for filling out my log and i have never noticed a significant difference, if one at all between the two devices and all my buddy's computers are close to it as well, i dont think there's an issue here.

We bought 2 Cobalts back in January of this year. I think we were among the first to get them. One had the "battery" problem where it quit charging. Atomic fixed that for us. The other one has the weak magnet problem with the "East" button and an extra sensitive "West" button. It is annoying but not so bad that I want to send it back. I have used mine most of this year in both salt and fresh water. The low viz diving is great because the screen is easy to read in nearly black water. That feature along made it worth the price.

We never updated the firmware nor got a copy of the dive download program. The Atomic web site says the download problem for Windows is not available at the present time. Our computers have different DiveOS versions (V.1.07/1 and V.1.06/1). Do these firmware versions have any issues that would require updating before we go on a trip to Cayman?

Here are some things I think it needs to improve:

1) Dive log should have a page showing total dive time and number of dives.
2) Dive log should jump to next page when you get to the bottom of the page without changing which button you have to press.
3) Time of day is amazingly accurate but should be available while diving.
4) It should come with a protective case.
5) The "handle" at the top where you might want to clip the unit to your BC is way too small to get any reasonable size clip around. I put a ty-wrap around the handle to make a loop that I can clip too. It looks hokie (apologies to VT fans).

The Cobalt gets and "A" for ease of use and not having to carry a manual on the dive boat. It gets a "C" for initial out of the box quality.

Thanks,
Dan & Joy

i bought mine in November last year just before leaving Florida, not had a problem with it yet and looking forward to the future enhancements. i now would not be without it.

<snip>
We never updated the firmware nor got a copy of the dive download program. The Atomic web site says the download problem for Windows is not available at the present time. Our computers have different DiveOS versions (V.1.07/1 and V.1.06/1). Do these firmware versions have any issues that would require updating before we go on a trip to Cayman?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. There aren't really any major issues with the earlier versions of the program, at least not that aren't exceptionally rare. There was a fix to one rare problem that could potentially shut the computer down on the surface. But there have been quite a few enhancements that would make your Cobalts work better- the gas pressure and compass will respond faster, and we show average depth and SCFM consumption in the log, and made the alert sounds clearer, just to mention a few changes. Updating is worthwhile.

I know Atomic is putting up a new Windows version, and my understanding is that it should be available next week. You don't say when you are leaving, but if the new version is not up in a couple of days PM me and I'll see you get one of the older Windows versions and the firmware so you can update before your trip.

Ron

I LIKE IT! 2 THINGS ABOUT DIVING ARE a common denominator: A. visiblility, B. a dive computer. A basic computer will do just fine. It seems though the skills or should I say experience that is acquired, the more technical everything IS. While it is common for people to be different, even in diving. Some things can't be changed? It's academic fact that dive tables are always in the planned dives. Recreational or other wise. What I'm trying to say is I LIKE this computer in two ways. A. I CAN SEE IT UNDERWATER, and so can anyone else. B. It's a dive computer with a compass. For me, diving means less is more. K> I> S> S> principle. The one problem I have notice with ALL dive computers is VISIBLE ALARMS. (not audible) Visible. Here an innovated device is defiantly next generation. Kudos. Also, here is where I think computers are going in the forseeable future, rebreathers anyone. Check out this website for possibilities: scuba capsule - The World's First All-In-One Dive Computer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom