Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did 3 dives in Oman, Zighy bay for the first run of new computer, so far Cobalt is working as intended. Happy with it!

Atomic will certainly check it out for you and fix whatever the issue is, just call them for an RA number. I just made this as a quick and dirty example for those who want to fiddle with their gear a bit, or who need to because they can't get to a dealer. There are two latches on each side, the two photos show disengaging both positions, as described in the text. The first is towards the hose end from the logo (2nd & 3rd pictures), the second is above the logo (5th picture), you need to disengage both positions. The cover is very tough. But there is no need for you to do it if you an get it to Atomic or to a dealer who can check it out.

Ron
Thanks for the info Ron. You help is much appreciated and I mean no disrespect by having Atomic do it. I am very happy with my Cobalt and the service I have received.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 02:30 PM ----------

Thanks for the info. I am trying to sneak off to either COZ or Fla this weekend so I don't have time to play with my 'puter, neither the desktop or the cobalt. If the wife can't go I may hit Bonaire or Roatan.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

Thanks for the info Ron. You help is much appreciated and I mean no disrespect by having Atomic do it. I am very happy with my Cobalt and the service I have received.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 02:30 PM ----------

Thanks for the info. I am trying to sneak off to either COZ or Fla this weekend so I don't have time to play with my 'puter, neither the desktop or the cobalt. If the wife can't go I may hit Bonaire or Roatan.
Bummer, outvoted yet again. Going to the Flying L ranch in Bandera, TX.

We have two Cobalt's and I posted in January about a problem with one of them that read a very high pressure half way through the dive. Our LDS replaced it (it had 2 dives on it) and we were off to Belize last week with the new one.

On day 3, the replacement computer would not turn on no matter what button I pushed. We were about to go into the Blue Hole so my wife had to borrow a computer and use gauges. Dive went well, I tried a couple times before the next two dives and it still wouldn't power up. I thought maybe it had a low battery but mine was at 87% and we both started the trip at 100% charge. When we got back to our room, I plugged it in and it still did not respond to button pushes for a few seconds (10?) but then it came on, showed battery charging and the battery state was in the 80% range (as expected). The date was off by 2 days, and the time was also off. I let it charge and debated if my wife should give it another try the next day... which she did. It looked to be working but about half way through the dive it did a reset, pressure showed 0 for a few seconds, and in the end of the dive is logged a 38 minute dive vs. the rest of us which showed a 58 minute dive. Obviously it reset and lost 1/3rd of the dive log. The rest of the week (17 dives total) she used a borrowed computer... not happy.

We'll be getting with the LDS where we bought them. Not sure what the options are. I like the Cobalt but my wife has said she is done with them.

I'm an EE, understand the concept of infant morality and that getting 2 in a row with problems is a possibility I just am not prepared to buy a 3rd computer as a backup when we bought 2 of these...

Mostly a vent... not looking for feedback!

That's crummy luck, we have had very few HP sensors fail, and to then get another lemon is unfair.

What you describe on the 2nd computer sounds like (though diagnosing from a distance is uncertain) water getting into the battery compartment, causing a momentary or slightly longer than momentary loss of power. That would cause a reset. When there is a reset, the time will default to the end of the last dive, as the most conservative option- that would explain the time change you saw when it came back up with the charger. The charger physically bypasses the battery connection to directly power the board. If moisture gets onto the battery contacts there can corrode or break, but be jostled back into contact occasionally. The battery compartment is physically sealed from the rest of the electronics, the battery can leak without damaging anything else, so if the battery reconnects things will work- for a while. That at least sounds consistent with what you experienced.

My first question would be what the serial #/ date of manufacture is for the 2nd computer, if it had the improved sealing Atomic introduced after the early production. I'd be very interested in both learning what went wrong for sure, and helping sort out the response with your LDS and Atomic. Please PM me with more info if you can.

Ron

Hi,

I have an Atomic Cobalt with about 50 dives on it. It has sat for several months unused and is now 'dead'. I am using the AC - to the wall power charger. It is connected to the correct side of the adapter. It has been 30 minutes and nothing is happening. Any suggestions? Thanks

Did you plug it in from the beginning with the A/C adapter? If the battery were dead A/C charging is required to get a reset to the program- USB will charge the battery, but won't restart the firmware.

If it's not coming up to the set time and date screen with the A/C charger, then the battery and connections should be checked, and you should also make sure the A/C adapter isn't damaged, that it's putting out power (some have broken the socket off the internal PCB by falling off a table, for instance). I can send you instructions for checking the battery (PM me) if you want to do this yourself, or you can take it to a dealer, or send it to Atomic- call them at 888-270-8595. In any case, this will be taken care of under warranty.

Ron

Where can I purchase the little power adapter part that pugs into the computer? The side that is for the AC power doesn't work, I can only charge using the USB.

Where can I purchase the little power adapter part that pugs into the computer? The side that is for the AC power doesn't work, I can only charge using the USB.
Contact Atomic @ 888-270-8595 or vial their email form on the website- my guess is they will send you one. I assume you mean the adapter that plugs into the Cobalt, not the wall wart. The plug may have broken off the internal circuit board- that can happen.

Ron

Have had my (second) Cobalt for a few weeks now and have been using it in pool and outdoor cold water sessions. My first dive computer and now spare was a PP2.1 The first Cobalt went berserk the moment I hit the first dive in the first session. Luckily, I had my B.U.D., dive watch and have now picked up a small PSI gauge on short hose for back-up. One of the fellow divers from the LDS was there, took it and replaced me with a new one the following week. Anyway, I think it's great! Love the easy set-up and ease of getting info and the compass works pretty good although a little latent. I was wondering if there is a possibilty in any future updates for making the screen go widthwise as opposed to lenghtwise, then you could actually tender the cobalt to your arm like a wrist model and even use the compass in a traditional style. Just wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom