Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In preparation for Spring break diving in Grand Cayman, I attempted last night to update the firmware on my Cobalt using my home pc w/ Vista OS. After following the instructions on Atomic's website to the letter, I wound up with a "dark" Cobalt, unresponsive to input.

Scubaboard is a great resource. After reading through this thread, I found a link Ron had provided for instructions on how to fix a failed/corrupt firmware update. Following those instructions, I was able to update the firmware on the Cobalt and all appears to be well. I did have to re-key my preferences, etc - but that's no big deal.

Thanks, Ron for keeping this string current & providing links & advice when issues do arise.

I appreciate it !

John

Thanks. I'm curious about your needing to re enter preferences. After a reset, the Cobalt should revert to the preferences, user name, etc. as of the last dive in the log. You will always need to reset the time, though. Were your settings changed after the last dive?

Ron

Thanks. I'm curious about your needing to re enter preferences. After a reset, the Cobalt should revert to the preferences, user name, etc. as of the last dive in the log. You will always need to reset the time, though. Were your settings changed after the last dive?

Ron

Hi Ron:

My Cobalt is brand new, a super-nice Christmas present from my wife. No dives logged yet - I'll be underwater with it for the first time this Saturday during my refresher course.

After the firmware update completed & my Cobalt came back to life, I needed to rekey my personal information, the dive settings, as well as the date & time. After doing so, everything appears to be working correctly...

John

In preparation for Spring break diving in Grand Cayman, I attempted last night to update the firmware on my Cobalt using my home pc w/ Vista OS. After following the instructions on Atomic's website to the letter, I wound up with a "dark" Cobalt, unresponsive to input.

Scubaboard is a great resource. After reading through this thread, I found a link Ron had provided for instructions on how to fix a failed/corrupt firmware update. Following those instructions, I was able to update the firmware on the Cobalt and all appears to be well. I did have to re-key my preferences, etc - but that's no big deal.

Thanks, Ron for keeping this string current & providing links & advice when issues do arise.

I appreciate it !

John

This actually happened to me last night when I was updating my wife's Cobalt.....mine went fine. I told her it was because she had that hot pink face plate on it!

Ron sent me the same instructions so I'll be trying it out tonight, I'm sure it'll get it going again just fine.

Hi Ron:

My Cobalt is brand new, a super-nice Christmas present from my wife. No dives logged yet - I'll be underwater with it for the first time this Saturday during my refresher course.

After the firmware update completed & my Cobalt came back to life, I needed to rekey my personal information, the dive settings, as well as the date & time. After doing so, everything appears to be working correctly...

John
That explains it- after the reset, it would go back to the factory settings that were there when the test dive was recorded. After you have a dive logged with your settings, it won't be necessary to re enter them following a firmware update.

Ron

I'm going to have to plead Windows relative ignorance, and ask you to place this totally reasonable question to Atomic on their "contact us" section of the web page. There should be a list of all the files (my guess is some are hidden) that need to be uninstalled. I'm expecting that this is something they have dealt with before. If you get such a list, let me know and I will post it.

Good luck, Ron

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply,

I have done a "cut & paste" of the majority of my previous post (nothing implicating you) to the A.A. "Contact Us" page (3/20/13). I will let you know what/if/when they reply.

Thank you for continuing to remain here and respond to ALL of our questions (no matter how silly or redundant they may be). You (being here and making yourself available) are a big reason on why I am a huge Atomic Aquatics owner (Cobalt computer, ST-1 regulator {what a freaking beast!}, and Venom mask). I really hope they compensate you for all the time you hold everyone's hand here. If not, let me know, and I will write your next performance evaluation! :D

Joel

Thank you for continuing to remain here and respond to ALL of our questions (no matter how silly or redundant they may be). You (being here and making yourself available) are a big reason on why I am a huge Atomic Aquatics owner (Cobalt computer, ST-1 regulator {what a freaking beast!}, and Venom mask). I really hope they compensate you for all the time you hold everyone's hand here. If not, let me know, and I will write your next performance evaluation! :D

Joel

Joel,

Thanks:D, no need for concern, I do this on my own account. I'm actually one of the two original developers/ designers of the Cobalt electronics and software- something we did because we thought dive computers should be easier to use. We began working with Atomic to turn it into a real product a number of years ago when Atomic licensed our design. Atomic is a terrific, very user oriented company that designs and builds great products, we are very happy to be associated with them. While I don't work for Atomic and am not involved in all aspects of the project, I'm very committed to users having the best possible experience. Participation on this board is a great way to stay connected, and to help us know where we should go for future development. Our goal is to keep making the Cobalt easier to use and more capable and adaptable to user's needs.

Ron

Joel,

Thanks:D, no need for concern, I do this on my own account. I'm actually one of the two original developers/ designers of the Cobalt electronics and software- something we did because we thought dive computers should be easier to use. We began working with Atomic to turn it into a real product a number of years ago when Atomic licensed our design. Atomic is a terrific, very user oriented company that designs and builds great products, we are very happy to be associated with them. While I don't work for Atomic and am not involved in all aspects of the project, I'm very committed to users having the best possible experience. Participation on this board is a great way to stay connected, and to help us know where we should go for future development. Our goal is to keep making the Cobalt easier to use and more capable and adaptable to user's needs.

Ron

Thank YOU Ron...

Your hard work has had a direct impact on my diving enjoyment. I love my Cobalt. I cannot wait for the wrist version to come out. :D

~Michael~

I agree that the personal level of service Ron provides to individual users is amazing. I only hope Atomic appreciates him and recognizes how much "help desk" service he provides thereby reducing greatly the amount that Atomic need's to provide.

When I try to upload the software to my cobalt I get a message
"Unhandled exception has occured in your application.If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an objecSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Details
at CobaltLogbook.CColbaltUSB.GetFirstDiveHeader(List`1& buflist)
at CobaltLogbook.Form1.button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Cobalt-Logbook
Assembly Version: 1.5.6.0
Win32 Version: 1.5.6
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AtomicsAquatics/Cobalt-Logbook/Cobalt-Logbook.exe
----------------------------------------t"

I usediving log 5.0 and have no issues communication with the cobalt.

When I try to upload the software to my cobalt I get a message
"Unhandled exception has occured in your application.If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an objecSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I'd copy this to Atomic using their web contact form- Atomic Aquatics I'm afraid Windows errors are beyond me. This does look like an attempt to download dives, rather than update firmware- is that what you intended? Or were you trying to flash the Cobalt? Clearly the software is failing to run properly. If you have another system, Windows or Mac, you can try installing the flash tool and updating firmware on that. Macs are a little easier since the Mac doesn't require any special drivers to work.

The drivers that are used by Diving Log 5.0 conflicted with the first version of the Cobalt Logbook/ Flash tool, but if you installed this recently and- if you had the earlier version installed- followed the remove and restore drivers instructions here, all should be well between the two. Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software

I know they were talking with the software developer about some issues with Windows 8, but Win 7 should be OK, there appears to be some problem with the installation. Wish I could be more help.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom