Atomic B1 Upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive both B1 and M1 regulators. I used to dive cold water but now only dive in warm water, and single tank.

I'd wait on the color kit and piston upgrade: I actually prefer the light weight of the B1, and I've never had bubbles on my face with the small exhaust deflector of the b1. The M1 does look nicer, but in the end I always go for what works and feels better to me. Never felt the need for the piston upgrade. Also, my B1 breathes a little better than the M1. Both breathe dry and easily at any depth, orientation and at any breathing rate I've used them.

Also while I did some cave diving I've never used the cave ring (didn't need to) and now that I'll be living a few months a year next to some of the nicest caves in the world I will dive a rebreather, so I will have one kit for warm water single tank diving, and the rebreather for tech dives.

One thing to check, I seem to remember there was a recall for the B1 at some point. Not all serial numbers were affected, but it would be wise to check just to be sure.

As for the hoses, I use a 40" blue miflex under the arm with a 90 degree elbow from piranha dive mfg dot com. No need for a swivel and better for sharing gas. For the secondary I'd recommend against a combo inflator/second and get a real (not yellow) secondary on a short black miflex hose on a necklace. Safer and more practical.

Concerning the mouth piece, I HATED the one that came with the M1. Just didn't fit my jaw right. I tried seacure and comfo bite plus a few generic ones. For my mouth, the comfo bite fits the best. You really have to try them to see if they fit you, as everybody is different. I'd start with the cheapest and see if it fits good :)

Sorry for the long post, but I had the same questions, tried a lot of stuff and that's what in the end works best for ME. Everyone is different and everyone has opinions, so you might have to make a few mistakes to really find what you like the best. I have boxes full of gear I don't use anymore because I found stuff that works better for me.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

I found the recall notice for you: CPSC, Atomic Aquatics Announce Recall of Scuba Regulators | CPSC.gov

thanks man. Regarding the color kit, I've seen that one before, but isn't that really just a generic one? The front cover is not M1 style with the holes on the sides, and the exhaust deflector isn't widened. It seems more like a B2/Z2 kit someone could put on an M1. As far as servicing, I'd much prefer to do it myself to be honest. I'm meticulous about my stuff. If I can find a good tool set for a decent price, I'll probably learn to do it myself. That would be my preference. Would save money in the long run too. AZ isn't exactly overflowing with scuba either lol
If you aren't going to service it yourself, David Hayes at El Mar is my go to guy for Atomics here. El Mar Diving Center, Your Arizona Scuba Diving Center - David Hayes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom