Atomic B2 or Scuba Pro Mk25/600??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonP

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:confused:I'm undecided between the ATOMIC AQUATICS B2 ID: 03-0027-3P and SCUBA PRO MK25/S600 SKU: SCPM25S60. I also like the APEKs Flight because I travel so much but heard it does not have the breathability of the B2 or the 25/s600.

I don't dive cold water... i'm a tropical, warm clear water recreational diver with Nitrox. I live in U.S.A but travel a lot and dive all over other than cold water.

which of these are better for me? B2 or MK25/S600? heard great things about both. Thanks so much,
Ron

MK25/S600 hands down.

Hi RonP,

I'm admittedly an Atomic product fan (and dive a B2 myself), but Scuba Pro has been around a long time has a reputation for superbly performing and reliable regs.

Based on the following reviews, it appears you can't go wrong with either.

Scuba Lab Reviews:

Scuba Pro Mk25/600
ScubaLab: Regulators - SCUBAPRO MK25/S600 | Scuba Diving

Atomic B2
http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/muscle_regs_11_05.pdf

Divernet review of Atomic B2
Diver Gear Tests - April 2004 - DIVERNET from Diver Magazine

Leisurepro Customer Reviews:

Scuba Pro Mk25/600
Scubapro Product Reviews and Ratings - Regulators - Scubapro MK25/S600 Regulator from Leisure Pro

Atomic B2
Atomic Product Reviews and Ratings - Regulators - Atomic Aquatics B2 Swivel Regulator from Leisure Pro

Regards,

DocVikingo

Of the two, I'd choose the one that your LDS can service. If your LDS services both, I would get the B2, but that's just my personal preference.

One of the main differences between the two is the service schedule and the warranty. The Atomic calls for service every 2 years and the warranty does not depend on regular servicing, the Scubapro calls for service every year to maintain the warranty.

The other main difference is that the Atomic must be pressurized to soak the reg. If you soak the reg without it being pressurized, water can get into the second stage and end up in the 1st stage, required the reg to need servicing. The Scubapro reg doesn't need to be pressurized to soak the reg. Both reg's however require the first stage to have the dust cap on to soak the reg off the tank.

All of the metal parts in the B2 second stage are Titanium. I'm not sure what the parts in the S600 are.

With the Atomic you pay for parts (every two years), with the Scubapro parts are free if you get it serviced every year and maintain your warranty. I have the B2 and love it. It's a great reg. People who own the Mk 25 seem to like that one as well.

Ron

All of the metal parts in the B2 second stage are Titanium. I'm not sure what the parts in the S600 are.With the Atomic you pay for parts (every two years), with the Scubapro parts are free if you get it serviced every year and maintain your warranty. I have the B2 and love it. It's a great reg. People who own the Mk 25 seem to like that one as well.Ron

I believe the titanium trim ring and insignia plate are the only titanium parts in the S600.

Good points about servicing and warrantee coverage. Thanks.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Given these two most excellent regs, IMHO such an unconditional, summary statement cannot be defended. And it certainly isn't informative.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Have you dived both? I have and the SP out peforms the B2 hands down. The poster has already done his research, thus his question.

"which of these are better for me? B2 or MK25/S600? heard great things about both. Thanks so much,
Ron"

Once agian..... SP hands down!

Regards,
ajduplessis

Have you dived both? I have and the SP out peforms the B2 hands down.

Since you've dived both, if you would explain the basis for your opinion then the rest of us can understand the basis for your conclusion.

In other words, after diving both regs, why does the SP MK25/S600 win "hands down"?

Personally, I think both are great regs and there is no definitive right or wrong answer. I'm an Atomic fan, but reo's points regarding service and soaking are good ones and could make a difference to the OP either way.

MK25/S600 hands down.

Thank you for responding to me and appreciate your feedback. Can you tell me why you think the mk/25/s600 is better than the Atomic please. It's difficult to decided because those using scuba pro regs love scuba pro and those using atomic b2's love them. can't find a definitive answer on what specifically makes one better than the other. I do see that "The Atomic Limited Lifetime Warranty is not contingent on proof of annual service" and that Scuba pro has a lifetime warranty but needs to be serviced yearly. That being said I have a local dealer here (both in FL and in SF) that carries scuba pro and another dealer that carries Atomic. And check both brand websites and they both have dealers/distributors worldwide.

With all that said is one of the two better than the other in regards to breathability, reliability, quality and anything else I might be missing. Sorry I'm very new to this and this will be my first regulator.

Thanks so much,

Ron

The other main difference is that the Atomic must be pressurized to soak the reg. If you soak the reg without it being pressurized, water can get into the second stage and end up in the 1st stage, required the reg to need servicing. The Scubapro reg doesn't need to be pressurized to soak the reg. Both reg's however require the first stage to have the dust cap on to soak the reg off the tank.

What does that mean "must be pressurized to soak the reg"? how does one pressurize a reg? do you mean i can't take it out of the tank to soak/wash/clean and tank needs to be on?

Back
Top Bottom