Atomic B2 or Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on the new reg!

I recently gave my wife a Z2x for her birthday, just in time for our upcoming trip to Belize at the end of the month. I went ahead and spent another $100 on the first stage swivel. I've got one on my T2x, and I knew she'd notice that when we go to Belize and would want one also.

I did her a favor, ahem, and field tested it last weekend on my second tank. Breathes just as easily as my T2.

Both regs are decked out in MiFlex hoses. Life is sweet. :D

Congrats on the new reg!

I recently gave my wife a Z2x for her birthday, just in time for our upcoming trip to Belize at the end of the month. I went ahead and spent another $100 on the first stage swivel. I've got one on my T2x, and I knew she'd notice that when we go to Belize and would want one also.

I did her a favor, ahem, and field tested it last weekend on my second tank. Breathes just as easily as my T2.

Both regs are decked out in MiFlex hoses. Life is sweet. :D

Can I ask you how you converted your T2 to Miflex hose. I have the ST1 which has the same comfort swivel hose as the T2.

Adam

Can I ask you how you converted your T2 to Miflex hose. I have the ST1 which has the same comfort swivel hose as the T2.

Adam

Adam, I'm curious - since I went to the effort of going out to my garage, shooting the photo, photoshopping it to emphasize the jam nut, and writing the text to answer your same question in post #5 in this thread - was I unclear, or, did I misunderstand your question?

All the best, James

how would a Z2 with all miflex hoses be for travel? small and light?

Not much different in size than any other regulator. The yoke Z2 is 1070g (2.3 Lbs). You might save some minute amount with Miflex hoses. You can spend more for a Titanium T2x and save 232g/.5 Lbs. I may take a while to get your money back in saved baggage fees on this one.

The biggest advantage of MiFlex hoses, as far as I'm concerned, is that they just make it easier to deal with your regulator out of the water. I can pack and unpack my T2 with one hand rather than have to wrestle the thing in and out of the bag like I used to do with my Sherwood reg with standard hoses. Not that it was all that difficult to begin with but in general I favor lighter and easier over heavier and harder.

I could never quite come to terms with the pencil thin MiFlex HP hose, though, so recently I switched to a different brand but can't remember the name off the top of my head. This one's only slightly thinner than a standard hose and for whatever reason I just like it better.

I had my LDS install the hoses, but James' post appears to cover how to do it quite well.

As far as baggage fees, I keep my reg in my carryon bag so there's no checked luggage weight savings to be had. Regardless, I'm happy to concede that for most folks the cost of titanium outweighs the benefits of strength to weight ratio and corrosion resistance. I'm just into exotic materials, probably a carryover from my bicycle racing days, and am quite happy with my setup.

Thanks, sorry I missed your first reply.

Adam

Another option: Bring a printout of fdog's post into your LDS and ask a tech (or another diver you trust to fix regulators) and ask if they will watch over your shoulder while you change hoses yourself.
  • First, the LDS's tech may never have done it either.
  • Second and more important, you should feel comfortable doing this stuff by yourself.
  • Third, you can mentor others with confidence the rest of your life.

Another option: Bring a printout of fdog's post into your LDS and ask a tech (or another diver you trust to fix regulators) and ask if they will watch over your shoulder while you change hoses yourself.
  • First, the LDS's tech may never have done it either.
  • Second and more important, you should feel comfortable doing this stuff by yourself.
    [*]Third, you can mentor others with confidence the rest of your life.

Absolutely +1! Best thing to come out of this thread IMHO.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom