Atomic Cobalt computer and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't mention any other circumstances, so I would guess you don't feel there are any that could have increased your susceptibility from whatever has been the norm for your body. You mention you've been diving 26 years, so could you just be, you know, getting older? Have you gained weight? Were you exerting yourself more than you typically do? Were you cold? Even the "conservative" setting on a computer may not be conservative enough to account for all circumstances. But my guess is that with 26 years of experience, if there were any circumstances worth mentioning you would have mentioned them.

And although you say you dive this profile all the time, you mind sharing the profile? First dive of the day or what? Maybe we in the peanut gallery can learn something.

Unfortunately that information is useless as no information on the specific dive profile and settings on the computers is provided.

If you want to seriously dispute the notion that a Cobalt is, all else being equal, more liberal than a Suunto...please do your own work and post here. Hint: you won't find that, no matter how hard you try.

Otherwise, let's just drop the pedantics and assume that the poster in question wasn't an idiot and knew that comparing computers' algorithms necessarily involves matching up settings and profiles as best one can, and that doing so is inherently approximating the differences between computers.

So...

PM me if you're interested in selling your gear.

:) Kidding.

On a serious note, Mark Ellyat had a lot of bad experiences with Deep Stops. He was one of the early testers of the RGBM on deep dives, and got bent several times. In his book, Ocean Gladiator, he discusses what he believes is a big problem with RGBM and deep stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The computer didn't get you bent. You did. Been bent twice in the past 5 years with nearly 50 years of diving. The difference is 1: I'm 50 years older. 2: I'm doing aggressive mixed gas staged decompression cave dives.
DAN often calls undeserved hits Depression Stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been diving with the cobalt for the last year or so (about 150 dives) and love the computer. I have all the setting including the age set correctly and at the most conservative settings. I use a Suunto Zoop as a backup. I bought my 14 year old the Zoop as his first computer and wanted to have a good idea of what his computer was showing. I was told that the Zoop was very conservative. My backup and his are both set to the conservative setting. The Zoop always controls my diving. In a number of dives, I could have extended my dives by 15 to 30 minutes of dive time if I would only have been following the cobalt.

With either computer though I don't push right to the limit.

Having said all that, I still love diving the cobalt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to seriously dispute the notion that a Cobalt is, all else being equal, more liberal than a Suunto...please do your own work and post here. Hint: you won't find that, no matter how hard you try.

Otherwise, let's just drop the pedantics and assume that the poster in question wasn't an idiot and knew that comparing computers' algorithms necessarily involves matching up settings and profiles as best one can, and that doing so is inherently approximating the differences between computers.

Drop the attitude Lecter. Suunto was only one of the computers mentioned.

Suunto was only one of the computers mentioned.

So? My statement applies regardless of the other brand(s) involved.

P.S. This is my Basic Scuba forum tone - if I was going to give you attitude, you'd know it champ.

Can you please elaborate on that. The inventor of the model used by your computer knew something and that something is published. You know something, what that is is not clear but if it differs from the model used in your computer wouldn't it better just use your computer in gauge mode and dive based on your knowledge then?

The dive computer gives you information based on whatever model it is using to calculate your NDL, it also gives you depth and time at depth info. I'm a proponent of divers making decisions based on that information rather than "following" or "riding" the computer which is very common.

To answer the bold question above: A lot of people believe that's the proper or right way of diving. I, being a technophile, don't mind computers in diving as long as they are a back up to the gray matter between my ears.

Can you please post a proof for that claim?

All the "proof" I need is in the op. Reading is fundamental! :)

Thanks for the replies. I just posted this to see if anyone has had any experiences with DCS specifically using the Cobalt. I had it set to the liberal setting with moderate exertion level and my age entered correctly. I completely understand the contributing factors to DCS. I'm going to say the factor in this case was over exertion. Bad current that day, and yes, I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I'm more than twice as old as I was when I got certified! I do like the computer a lot and have since set everything on it as conservative as it will go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom