Atomic Cobalt dive computer, first day of use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well I used my new Atomic Cobalt for two dives today. I was VERY impressed with its functionality, and useability. It worked flawlessly and hassle free through both dives. I have read in some other posts the the alarms are very quiet. I was concerned about this, but it was not an issue. I could hear the alarms just fine. Did a wreck dive, and a drift dive with it and really enjoyed it, especially during our safety stops. I have very poor reading vision, and had no issues reading this computer throughout the dive. We will see in another 50 dives if I feel the same way. I imported the data from the dives into Macdive, and created PDF reports of my dives. (mailed my dive buddies copies!) All in all this computer does everything I had hoped it would, and I never had to pick up the manual once!

Four more dives logged, and really digging it. Working great. Did a night dive, and it was great. My comp was simple to see. My buddies little LCD puck looked pathetic at night underwater in comparison. I really wish the data in the reports in the two dive packages was a little more granular, right now all measurements seem to be generalized on a graph. For instance, I cannot tell at 18:30 minutes into the dive, I had consumed exactly X PSI. Also, on Macdive the air temperature always shows as Celsius even though the dive computer is set to F and the Macdive software is set to use the dive computers settings. the data shows a F by the Air temperature, but the value is 31. All other measurements DO show up correctly as F where applicable. Assuming this is a Macdive bug? These are all fixable, and I am sure improvements in the software will come with time, however these are minor issues and certainly not show stoppers. I was so impressed with the computer that my last stop at the dive shop i picked up one of their masks as well. Cant wait to try it.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's working out for you. I'm considering getting one later this year, hoping that the simplicity will be such that I'll actually set it for correct local time when on dive trips. I also like the idea of not bothering to change batteries for years at a time or deal wireless transmitters.

Richard.

Four more dives logged, and really digging it. Working great. Did a night dive, and it was great. My comp was simple to see. My buddies little LCD puck looked pathetic at night underwater in comparison. I really wish the data in the reports in the two dive packages was a little more granular, right now all measurements seem to be generalized on a graph. For instance, I cannot tell at 18:30 minutes into the dive, I had consumed exactly X PSI. Also, on Macdive the air temperature always shows as Celsius even though the dive computer is set to F and the Macdive software is set to use the dive computers settings. the data shows a F by the Air temperature, but the value is 31. All other measurements DO show up correctly as F where applicable. Assuming this is a Macdive bug? These are all fixable, and I am sure improvements in the software will come with time, however these are minor issues and certainly not show stoppers. I was so impressed with the computer that my last stop at the dive shop i picked up one of their masks as well. Cant wait to try it.

Glad you are enjoying it. Both the Cobalt's internal dive log graph and MacDive store the tank pressure recorded with each segment. In MacDive just mouse over the part of the dive you want to see and the data will show below the graph. Or is this not what you are looking for? For units, make sure you have selected Imperial in MacDive Preferences. MacDive also displays by default surface temperature- since the Cobalt doesn't store surface temp., for some reason it defaults to 32° F (0° C).

There is an option in MacDive preferences (select the columns option) to display total gas used in a column for each dive, but this is a total. If you double click a dive in the list a window opens where you can select the RAW option and see the actual data stored with each segment.

Ron

Thanks for the info and indeed I found the data there! On another note, Does anyone know how to do a complete reset of an Atomic Cobalt's dive memory? I just bought a second Cobalt for my wife as new and I got it home and it already had 14 dives on it, and a strangers name and phone #. Hey at least whoever owned it last went to the trouble of also applying the screen saver film on it, and didnt do a half bad job. We need the computer for our dives today, so trucking all the way back to the Atomic reseller there is not an option as my wife has already given away her computer and we have reservations that we cannot/will not cancel. Im wondering if flashing the unit will erase the existing dives, and at least take away some of the used-ness?? I think its awful that I was sold a used dive computer for full retail, but it would be less of an issue if I can clear the old personal data. Whoever owned it last took care of it, no scratches or anything..

Last edited:
I can tell you that changing ANYTHING on the computer is a breeze. I would not hesitate to change the time, and change it back. What I REALLY like is how simple it is to change cylinder size and gas type. Since I dive a mixture of tank sizes and gasses, its reassuring to know for sure that the computer is set up properly for each dive. and I can look at the "dive summary" screen, and see just that. Awesome stuff. There is something for everyone here with this computer!

Thanks for the info and indeed I found the data there! On another note, Does anyone know how to do a complete reset of an Atomic Cobalt's dive memory? I just bought a second Cobalt for my wife as new and I got it home and it already had 14 dives on it, and a strangers name and phone #. Hey at least whoever owned it last went to the trouble of also applying the screen saver film on it, and didnt do a half bad job. We need the computer for our dives today, so trucking all the way back to the Atomic reseller there is not an option as my wife has already given away her computer and we have reservations that we cannot/will not cancel. Im wondering if flashing the unit will erase the existing dives, and at least take away some of the used-ness?? I think its awful that I was sold a used dive computer for full retail, but it would be less of an issue if I can clear the old personal data. Whoever owned it last took care of it, no scratches or anything..
I've sent you a PM on how to do this- but you really should not have been sold a used unit as new- do the dives maybe look like pool demos? Let me know how it goes.
Ron

Ron,
Yes I agree that I shouldn't have been sold that unit, but I also understand mistakes get made, so I am not over the top about it. If these were pool dives, I would LOVE to see the pools. It looked more like a West-Caribbean vacation! It works, and you responded with a solution that fixes my problem immediately, so I am satisfied. The computer works great (we did two dives today in Jupiter using both of them) and my wife absolutely loves it. So thanks for the quick response, and I must say again that the products you guys make, and now the service that you provide truly are fantastic. Every Atomic product I have owned has been best in class. Thanks again for the quick follow up. The personalized service was an unexpected surprise :)

I just saw one of these units in the flesh today, and I was blown away. Had to hold myself back from buying it on the spot. Will probably get one soon. It makes everything else look like 90s retro.

I have Cobalt envy.... These things are the bomb! Thank you, fdarden, for the report - I have played with the unit a couple of times in my LDS, but have been waiting to hear some feedback from people who actually bought and have been using it before plunking down hard cash for one. I hate being the test pilot on a new design, but after checking it out, my prevailing thought was "this is the way a dive computer OUGHT to work!"

Back
Top Bottom