Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam, well perhaps I am naive :blinking: but doesn't mean I lack the responsibility to ask questions regarding equipment I've never used and plan on purchasing in the future. If I chose to dive with a wireless, I wouldn't dive without a backup SPG. I just don't see the reason to purchase a wireless if you are still going to need an SPG. If that's the case, why not use a computer like the Cobalt? At the same time, I'm still open to the possibilities of having a wireless as long as it's reliable and the price seems reasonable in addition to purchasing an SPG. So that's why I am here: asking questions and to see what the appeal of using a wireless vs an integrated computer.

I'll check out the Luna again. Admittedly, I only looked up one website about it and saw in its description the heart rate monitor. It immediately made me think it was equipment that may be a little too tech for my needs, but it won't hurt to look at it more in depth. Thanks again for the suggestions guys!

......asking questions and to see what the appeal of using a wireless vs an integrated computer. ...
Well ... the debate "wireless vs. hose air integrated" has been going on for quite sometime ... and will keep going on for ..... ever? And you have all the rights to ask and research.

I dive with the Galileo Sol (No HRM) and the OC1.
I think I have more than 100 dives on the Sol and I do not recall having lost the connection. Not once.

And - for recreational diving - I don't use an extra analog SPG.
I only take with me an extra AL30 tank :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I back up my SPG with a cobalt.

So here is my really dumb, expensive solution........ I dive a Sol AND a Colbalt! I was diving the Colbalt w/ a SPG B/U, and went to the Sol to streamline. I do not like the weak backlight on the Sol, but I do love everything else about it. I LOVE the OLED display and I have gotten very comfortable with two computers - good redundancy if one goes; I don't have to resort to table diving. The great thing about the Cobalt is the rechargeable battery. I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

So here is my really dumb, expensive solution........ I dive a Sol AND a Colbalt! I was diving the Colbalt w/ a SPG B/U, and went to the Sol to streamline. I do not like the weak backlight on the Sol, but I do love everything else about it. I LOVE the OLED display and I have gotten very comfortable with two computers - good redundancy if one goes; I don't have to resort to table diving. The great thing about the Cobalt is the rechargeable battery. I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Very nice solution, I wish I was in your income bracket:D

I know, right!? I wish I had the financial means to dive with two badass computers! I checked out the Sol and it's seems like a solid piece of equipment, but price-wise it's a little over my budget. Originally, I was interested in the Icon. It was in my price range, seemed to include all the features I was looking for, and display looked nice. After hearing everyone's opinion, I'm pretty much writing it off. So at this point I think I should stick with integrated.

Alberto, thanks for that link! After looking at the site, I got a bit more interested in a Cobra 3. So I think I'm back down to either a Cobalt or Cobra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom