Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naomi,

Once you decide, will you please let us know whether you like it and your feedback? I have always used an air integrated Widsom 2. However, I have been curious Cobalt and Cobra. I have heard good things about both.

Air integration is nice. You won't regret it. Check out the Liquivision Lynx -- it's a new one and has the OLED display and air integration.

Liquivision : Scuba : Lynx

Not sure when it'll be available but it should be soon.

If you don't like the Lynx, my second choice for you would be the Galileo Luna. Most experienced divers eventually move away from the console, as it frees up your hands and offers a more ergonomic package. Unless you're an Amazon woman, you wear the Luna and the other larger computers on your (right) forearm.

Since you don't need hot chicks to be hitting on you, you can skip the Cobalt.

Adam

I checked out the Lynx and it's definitely over my budget! I wish I could dive with all that bad-assery! Then again, I'm not a seasoned diver either and the equipment is only as good as its user. The price on the Luna isn't so bad, but it's something I would have to try on in person before I commit to a purchase. I'm not an amazon, but my wrist is ridiculously tiny! As a rough guesstimate, I'd say it measures 2x1.5 inches in cross diameter. I'm actually stopping by a shop later this week to get my reg bench checked so maybe they will have a Luna or Sol for me to check out?

The air integration is definitely a selling point for me and wouldn't settle without it. I may not need hot girls hitting on me, but I wonder if it works on hot men as well? Hmmmm... just saying.

Air integration is nice. You won't regret it. Check out the Liquivision Lynx -- it's a new one and has the OLED display and air integration.

Liquivision : Scuba : Lynx

Not sure when it'll be available but it should be soon.

If you don't like the Lynx, my second choice for you would be the Galileo Luna. Most experienced divers eventually move away from the console, as it frees up your hands and offers a more ergonomic package. Unless you're an Amazon woman, you wear the Luna and the other larger computers on your (right) forearm.

Since you don't need hot chicks to be hitting on you, you can skip the Cobalt.

Adam
How many arms does it take to look at a wrist mount- 1, how many arms does it take to look at a console- 1. A wrist mount doesn't free up a hand. Most experienced divers move away from a console...gotta' raise the BS flag on that one too. I don't think you have the facts to back that up. Basically, get what you feel comfortable with. Try them both and get what you like. The differences are minuscule, some guys/gals like wrist mount and some like a console. Me, I use a wrist mount (size of a watch) and a console with a re tractor. If i could only have one it would be a console. I just wish they made the Cobalt in a wrist mount. I also like a large screen that makes it easier to read and I don't want a computer the size of a brick hanging from my wrist.

I checked out the Lynx and it's definitely over my budget! I wish I could dive with all that bad-assery! Then again, I'm not a seasoned diver either and the equipment is only as good as its user. The price on the Luna isn't so bad, but it's something I would have to try on in person before I commit to a purchase. I'm not an amazon, but my wrist is ridiculously tiny! As a rough guesstimate, I'd say it measures 2x1.5 inches in cross diameter. I'm actually stopping by a shop later this week to get my reg bench checked so maybe they will have a Luna or Sol for me to check out?

The air integration is definitely a selling point for me and wouldn't settle without it. I may not need hot girls hitting on me, but I wonder if it works on hot men as well? Hmmmm... just saying.
I have it on good authority that the Cobalt will cause hot men to hit on you. Kidding aside, have you checked out the used computers on ST. I got an awesome Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 from ST, used for around $400 with a compass. One of the best deals I ever made.

I've used an Oceanic VT3 & an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt. A wrist unit I can glance at more conveniently, keeping on top of my depth more easily, but I love the easy interface of the Cobalt, and built-in rechargeable battery I don't need to swap out.

Richard.

Either way, I would hardly consider myself an experienced diver. As probably most of you have guessed, this will be my first computer I've ever owned. Either I've had to rent them or buddy up with someone who has one. I'm actually leaning towards the Cobalt for two main reasons: (1) I usually dive with my arms tucked in and fingers clasped (2) I have a bad habit of misplacing things.

I found a used one for $800 on Craigslist. What is ST?

Without getting too far into it, I'd recommend against basing a decision entirely on feature lists. Get your hands on the computer if at all possible and see how easy it is to access the features. Try to depend some time looking at them in a dive shop. For me, user interface counts for a lot.

While there are plenty of divers who only want a wrist mount, there are also plenty who find a console fits them quite well. There is no right answer there, it's personal preference. I would not worry too much about transmitter reliability- years ago that was an issue, not so much any more. Liquivision has great wrist mount computers, and by using OLED displays give much better battery life than a TFT display like the Icon.

Full disclosure: I'm one of the designers of the Cobalt.

Ron

Either way, I would hardly consider myself an experienced diver. As probably most of you have guessed, this will be my first computer I've ever owned. Either I've had to rent them or buddy up with someone who has one. I'm actually leaning towards the Cobalt for two main reasons: (1) I usually dive with my arms tucked in and fingers clasped (2) I have a bad habit of misplacing things.

I found a used one for $800 on Craigslist. What is ST?

Sorry, Scuba Toys. Just google them. They also have an awesome forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom