Atomic COBALT : WORST DIVE COMPUTER EVER !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Electronics fail - typically when the product is new. And having several fail in a row is certainly bad luck.

In this case it's not the electronics that fail... the bloody damn thing leaks water ! and that kills the electronics. The root cause is water leaks ! that is VERY bad for a device that has an intended usage underwater. Here's your new fleet of submarines Mr President. they're the most advanced in the world. just donlt get them wet.

NOW, to make it clear : I am not frustrated with the AA brand or their products in itself. I have their fins, masks, regulators and absolutely enjoy that stuff. It's just this one product I have issues with... recurring issues ... that cost money time and frustration.

I don't walk away from AA nor do I want to walk away from the cobalt as I still think it's technologically the best machine out .. if it would just stop flooding. And if we can find a way to reinstate trust in the thing. And if we can get me a replacement in time.

The machine failed on a Saturday. was diagnosed the same Saturday by Ron ( Excellent support from the maker ) was shipped, overnight on a Monday, confirmed delivery tuesday. The Friday after it was confirmed to get me a replacement. Now we are one week further and I find out that there's no stock and they have to kinda find me a demo unit. If they don't ship coming Monday i'm in deep trouble. I'll have to run around, last minute, to find an alternative which is going to cost me more money, frustration, and I won't have time to shop around and pick something I like. I do NOT like being in situations like this.

If atomic was serious about this case I would have had the replacement 4 days ago and would not have had to check up on them.

I've tried saying it nicely, but I guess I didn't get through: of course the sand itches more when it's in your [insert slang term for female genitals here]. It's nice that your specific Suunto and Citizens didn't break, but you and I both know there are lots of other people with those very same computers that failed. Not recognizing the difference between your experience and the common experience is what makes me say you lack perspective.
All dive computers fail, and I see no evidence the Cobalt has failed at any greater rate than is common for any other computer, or, that it's failed because AA is sloppy, stupid, or both. Again, I'm willing to take the risk of occasionally being the guy who buys the Aston Martin with the bad starter motor so long as it drives like an Aston Martin when it works and the repairs are performed in a manner befitting someone who paid that much for what was supposed to be the best.
And like I said, if you don't have working a Cobalt in-hand for your dive because AA didn't make good for this Cobalt's failings, I'll 100% agree with you that the situation is unacceptable.
The machine failed on a Saturday. was diagnosed the same Saturday by Ron ( Excellent support from the maker ) was shipped, overnight on a Monday, confirmed delivery tuesday. The Friday after it was confirmed to get me a replacement. Now we are one week further and I find out that there's no stock and they have to kinda find me a demo unit. If they don't ship coming Monday i'm in deep trouble. I'll have to run around, last minute, to find an alternative which is going to cost me more money, frustration, and I won't have time to shop around and pick something I like. I do NOT like being in situations like this.

If atomic was serious about this case I would have had the replacement 4 days ago and would not have had to check up on them.
This part I'll agree is getting borderline. I do not believe for a second that AA does not have at least a functioning Cobalt they can charge up, test out, and ship to you as a loaner for your trip with the understanding that you will return it afterwards and they'll then send you a replacement. I hope the delay has to do with them wanting to just get a brand new unit into your hands before the trip, but saying that to you up front would save headaches. Poor form.

In this case it's not the electronics that fail... the bloody damn thing leaks water ! and that kills the electronics. The root cause is water leaks ! that is VERY bad for a device that has an intended usage underwater.

Thanks for that - looks like we posted at similar times.

Here's your new fleet of submarines Mr President. they're the most advanced in the world. just donlt get them wet.

In case of the Spanish that is true:

£2 billion Spanish navy submarine will sink to bottom of sea - Telegraph

@Dr.Lecter. Fine. I'll change the topics title to "My worst dive computer ever". Happy now ? You can hammer on about my lack of perspective all you want, it does not take away my frustration nor my current level of anxiety about the whole situation and the handling of it.

If I hadn't called today to inquire I would be out of computer by my trip. I should not have had to call in the first place. I shouldn't have had a replacement in hand by now. Shipping will still be critical. One more day of delay and it's game over... a situation I do not like at all as it puts me, the customer, with my back against the wall. Now I have 3 more days to fret over the question 'will I get it in time' ...

"Free-electron" may be more of a "free-radical"... Hehe. (Joke)

My advice would be to get a backup computer like it looks you have. I don't appreciate things when they don't work either bit it looks like you are dealing with shipping costs only at this point.

I wouldn't buy a cobalt because its not my kind of dive computer but you haven't swayed me in any direction either because it sounds like a bit of bad luck.

Hope things turn out better for you, as you are starting to sound like DSix36 about hammerhead electronics.... :)

Garth

Thnx for this thread free-electron. I was on the fence about buying this computer but your experiences have changed my mind.

Well, imho that would be a mistake. The internet tends to magnify these things way beyond reality.

I am confident that for every Cobalt that has had issues, there are hundreds out there that are operating smoothly. But it's rare that users come here to post, "My Cobalt has no issues. Just wanted to get that off my chest." And when something goes wrong, Atomic keeps stepping up to the plate.

FWIW, my wife and I were early Cobalt adopters. Neither computer has had any issues in the two years or so we've used them.

I can only imagine how frustrated free-electron is, having spent a princely sum for a computer, but thankfully his experience has not been mine. Two years ago, my daughter and son-in-law gave each other one and they have over 200 dives each on them in two years with no issues. I bought one for my wife based on their great experience and she dove 17 dives in Coz with hers and loves it. Hopefully, it will continue to perform on the liveaboard we have set up in Cayman in September.

I like our 3 Cobalts but they certainly have not been hassle free. Great customer service, but each of us carry a Zoop backup that we have not needed...yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can only imagine how frustrated free-electron is, having spent a princely sum for a computer, but thankfully his experience has not been mine. Two years ago, my daughter and son-in-law gave each other one and they have over 200 dives each on them in two years with no issues. I bought one for my wife based on their great experience and she dove 17 dives in Coz with hers and loves it. Hopefully, it will continue to perform on the liveaboard we have set up in Cayman in September.

It's not so much the cost of the computer. A top notch machine cost money. There's no escaping that, and i'm fine with that.

My frustration is a combination of multiple factors.

1) I specifically selected that machine because one of its key selling points is : rechargeabale , never need to open it. ( i've seen plenty of divers that destroyed theirs because they incorrectly installed a battery , or flooded it because they put the seal backwards. i've also seen plenty of divers that forget to change batteries or don't carry spares and mid-trip beeeep, game over. One dude once gave me 20 bucks for a cr2540 cell. i was in the middle of nowhere ( most outward island of the bahamas , only 1 flight a week there ) no such cells anywhere on the island. i always carry spares. his computer died second dive. He had a week to go and the operators would not let you dive without computer. The rental was 15$ a day ... ).
Key point : yay , no more battery swaps, no risk of flooding. Except it leaks all by itself ( my two + Dr. Lecters also leaked ... ) not good....
2) i bought the cobalt because i plonked a tank on my other one (suunto) , cracked the compass and the front lens... that machine had 1200 dives on it. The new cobalt died after a week... 31 dives. i lost 2 days of diving that time. I only do 1 trip a year but when i go, i go hard. i do 4 to 5 dives a day and ride both the saturation clock and the oxy clock. if the computer goes belly upthere is no way to recover using tables or a divewatch. wait 24 hours so your body can reset is all you can do. grumble ... brand new machine, 1 week, 31 dives .. flooded ...
3 ) i went diving last year with it. not a single glitch. happy camper. love the cobalt ! best computer in the world. Divetrip washed out because of the hurricane... ah well nothing you can do about that.
4) recall. the one i had was in the group of serial numbers affected. Oh , well see we didn't tigten a nut correctly so air can leak inside and blow the front glass off , flooding the machine... eh .. point 1 guys ?
5) preparing for the current trip i decided to do an equipment run in the local pool. I schedule the pool. That morning i figured, hey there's a software update. let's do this before i jump in. Computer freezes mid update ... grumble no 2 ... Ron quickly sent me details on how to reset the machine (which involves opening the case ... see point 1 ... and fidgeting around with little rubber ball and some sealant ( that way of protecting against overpressure isn't very well designed... it's a weak spot waiting for failure to happen.. flooding the battery cavity with a lithium ion cell in it is recipe for disaster. ) Anyway i manage to restart the computer and don't do the software update. out of time ..
6) i jump in the pool (pool at a local dive store . 15 ft deep ). computer again shows 0 ft. what ?!? grumble no 3. not again ! i contact Ron after the dive who hasme walk through a test and tells me most likely the pressure sensor is shot. computer locks out if it gets erroneous readings.
7) i contact atomic that monday, get an RMA, ship it the same monday (overnight fedex ). We're 2 weeks down the pipe now and i'm waiting...
8) i bought an oceanic wrist mounted dive computer with pressure transponder as a backup. 700$ .. unforeseen expense.

Luckily i discovered the problem. if i would have discovered this first dive of my vacation i would have really been pissed off. The plan is for 20 days of non-stop diving (minimum of 4 a day). yeah i can easily buy a new computer where i'm going. But that's not the point. I should not have to. After all Atomic is 'the 'best...

Besides, it kind of looks silly if someone walks up to me on the boat asking how i like the cobalt and then spots a second wrist mount backup.. why do you have two ? So i'd sheepishly have to answer : eh , just in case my cobalt floods . That's not very good for the image of Atomic...

Now, i do like the way the cobalt works, the way i can set it up , i like the large clear OLED (great on night dives and wreck dives ). the gas usage computation is spot on. ( if i feed it correct cylinder info its prediction is very close. ) the guts of the machine are very well built and the functionality it offers is top notch for this class of computers ( we're not dealing with tekkie machines like shearwater or v3 ). it sits in a compact form factor. it's rechargeable , light , built in compass..

if it would just keep working for a bit longer than the experiences i have had with mine ... none of them ( 3 now ) made it beyond 35 dives ... add the hassle , wasted dives opportunity , wasted money to rent a spare , wasted money to buy a backup , ship it back and forth ...

yeah.. i'm grumbly.

Back
Top Bottom