Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is Atomic suitable for tech diving (just for future proofing)? it doesn't seem like any of the tech divers I know use atomic (mostly apeks, dive rite, etc.) I assume T3 is not suitable for tech because titanium is not good with high % O2?
M1 is the go to for tech use.

Is Atomic suitable for tech diving (just for future proofing)? it doesn't seem like any of the tech divers I know use atomic (mostly apeks, dive rite, etc.) I assume T3 is not suitable for tech because titanium is not good with high % O2?
That just means that you know the wrong guys ;-)

So I went through this with my LDS, as I was trying to order a Z2 with the swivel first stage. What they basically do is sell you a B2 first stage with a Z2 second/hose. It became quite expensive to do so.

Unless AA has changed policy, you should be able to order Z2 with 1st stage turret, the additional is like $90.

I have T2xs for back gas and M1's for deco gas.

The M1 is Atomic's designated technical diving regulator. It is good for up to 80% O2 out of the box.

Most tech divers are cheap. Or, maybe I should say, very budget-conscious, since it's already so expensive.

If you are paying list price for all options, the Dive Rite regs are really hard to beat. 100% O2 compatibility out of the box. Nice, compact 1st stage with a sealed diaphragm design and a swivel turret with a bottom port. 2nds are fully adjustable and reversible (i.e. can have the LP hose coming off the left side of the 2nd stage, if you want to).

And they're Dive Rite. A solid company that has been around a while. And, because of that, not too hard to find local servicing for.

Before I got on a shop bandwagon, I was using Dive Rite XT regs for my doubles and very happy with them. Once I got on the shop bandwagon and bought some ScubaPro regs, the DRs became my deco regs and they work great for that. Compact, so they aren't obnoxious against my side, and a swivel turret for nice hose routing when the deco reg is stowed and deployed.

At list price, about the only thing I can think of that competes with them for tech use is the Deep6 Signature regs.

Overseas, it's probably a little different because of the different relative costs of things over there.

Regardless, the tech-suitable regs from Atomic are significantly more expensive. That would be my guess on why they aren't as popular among tech divers as some other brands. Of the people who do use them for tech, I bet a LOT of them did not pay full list price for them.

Regardless, the tech-suitable regs from Atomic are significantly more expensive. That would be my guess on why they aren't as popular among tech divers as some other brands. Of the people who do use them for tech, I bet a LOT of them did not pay full list price for them.

What's a good discount off MSRP for atomic regs in the US, e.g. T3?:D
I do know that you can easily get approx. 30-35% off from UK retailers (net of VAT as non-resident), compared to US/Can MSRP. But I never bothered to negotiate a price with LDS since I wasn't 100% sure about buying.
I do recall, when I bought my mares navy II, the dealer price in the brochure that I happened to see was about half of the MSRP.

I do know that you can easily get approx. 30-35% off from UK retailers (net of VAT as non-resident), compared to US/Can MSRP. But I never bothered to negotiate a price with LDS since I wasn't 100% sure about buying.
I do recall, when I bought my mares navy II, the dealer price in the brochure that I happened to see was about half of the MSRP.

Unless you’re a shop employee or something like that, I think it’s pretty tough to get any discount at all on Atomic stuff over here.

When I bought my Z2 regs + octo, a large online warehouse vendor here in the US sold me the 1st + 2nd stage for a "special offer" price of $283 ($440 MAP?) and $130 something for the octo. When it came time to buy one for my wife, I went to my LDS and initially "best" he could do was a 10% public safety discount. After I showed him the receipt for the set I bought for myself, he agreed, to match the price for her reg...but he acted all bent out of shape about it. That's after we had already purchased close to $1000 worth of stuff between thr two of us.

However, that was almost 4 years ago and when I was looking to get another reg, I reached out to both online vendor and my LDS and both were reluctant to move the price more than the military or public safety discounts (10%). My backup reg will probably end up being a Deep6.

All you can do is ask....thats free.

Knowing the wholesale price and the VAT cost, it will be impossible to get a 30 - 35% off the price of Atomic regulators after deducting the 20% VAT price. The margins between wholesale price and retail are very low to be able to give a 30 - 35% discount. In fact, if they did, the price will be less than wholesale price.

They may waive the 20% VAT if they are shipping the regulator to an outside EU address but that will require shipping it via courier who will supply the required customs documentation. The rules for VAT and various other requirements in the EU are more strict than in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom