Attaching a torch/flashlight to your BCD so you can use it but not drop it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for this probably basic and obvious question... I have done research on how to attach your light/torch to your BCD and I know I can attach it to a bolt snap and clip it to a D-Ring on your BCD (and then use bungee/inner tube to secure it to a strap if you have the space). I also know I can just use the lanyard the light came with, and have it dangle around my wrist (which is what I've done before).

What I'm not clear on is how you make sure the light is attached to you so that it is free for you to use when you need it, while still staying attached to your wrist or BCD so you don't lose it in case you drop it.

Do you all who attach them to bolt snaps and clip them off to your BCD just hold them when you use them and are just careful not to drop it? Or do you do have some extra cable so it can stay attached to you in case you drop it?

So I'm not asking how to attach it to your equipment. I'm asking if, when you use a torch, you just hold it and are careful not to drop it or if you have enough line so that, if you do drop it, you don't lose it.

I guess I could get a retractor? But I would rather not use one of those if I can help it. But, I guess, if it works, it's not out of the question.

Finally, I don't have any pockets to keep a light in on my setup! So it has to clip to my BCD or, I guess, be secured to my writs.

Thank you.

Sorry for this probably basic and obvious question... I have done research on how to attach your light/torch to your BCD and I know I can attach it to a bolt snap and clip it to a D-Ring on your BCD (and then use bungee/inner tube to secure it to a strap if you have the space). I also know I can just use the lanyard the light came with, and have it dangle around my wrist (which is what I've done before).

What I'm not clear on is how you make sure the light is attached to you so that it is free for you to use when you need it, while still staying attached to your wrist or BCD so you don't lose it in case you drop it.

Do you all who attach them to bolt snaps and clip them off to your BCD just hold them when you use them and are just careful not to drop it? Or do you do have some extra cable so it can stay attached to you in case you drop it?

So I'm not asking how to attach it to your equipment. I'm asking if, when you use a torch, you just hold it and are careful not to drop it or if you have enough line so that, if you do drop it, you don't lose it.

I guess I could get a retractor? But I would rather not use one of those if I can help it. But, I guess, if it works, it's not out of the question.

Finally, I don't have any pockets to keep a light in on my setup! So it has to clip to my BCD or, I guess, be secured to my writs.

Thank you.

A PCD i had doubts ? 😂😂😂

For a quick peek, you may be able to leave it clipped to the chest D-ring. For longer, a hairband or bungee on your wrist:

View attachment 836859
Yes, I use the same. If I'm not going to use it for long then it goes back onto a D-ring.

A cause bracelet is my solution, although bungee bracelets work fine too.
full

I like to keep things tidy when possible. Dangling lanyards bug me.

I also prefer avoiding metal to metal connections. It's not critical for something like this, but still... Here's an old thread that discusses this.

I had a bad experience many years ago when I was diving on an oceanographic mooring in deep water, to inspect some instruments mounted on it. I had a Nikonos camera on a wrist lanyard so I would not drop it, and while looking at one of the instruments the mooring surged and caught the hanging camera in the instrument cage and broke the lanyard on my wrist. Luckily, this was before lanyards were made of paracord, so I did not lose my hand at the wrist. The camera is now at 3990m depth in the North Atlantic.
I no longer attach anything to my wrist with a lanyard.

My hand-held lights have bolt snaps on the end, attached to a shoulder D-ring on my harness, I can with one hand turn on the light while still clipped for a quick look-see under a ledge, or remove the light and hold in in my hand. I have dropped a light only once and lost it.

I like to keep things tidy when possible. Dangling lanyards bug me.

I also prefer avoiding metal to metal connections. It's not critical for something like this, but still... Here's an old thread that discusses this.

I can deal with the dangling lanyard, but it's previously crossed my mind that the metal to metal was a potential issue. Thanks for the link, that's helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom