Attaching Manifold to Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the procedure was for screwing the valve of a manifold into its cylinder.

Does this require a professional, or can you DIY?

I got this from a "how to..." guide on assembly of doubles, but I was hoping perhaps someone could elaborate a bit:

"First screw in your valves. I use a bit of spit (er, oxygen clean spit) to lube the valve O-ring and then tap the valves tight with a rubber mallet using the manifold side of the valve. Do not beat on the handwheel."

That pretty much says it all...not rocket surgery or brain science.

Uhhhh... Get some Christolube please. Don't use spit. The person who has to disasseble your doubles for VIP will thank you. Also, I don't like the rubber mallet thing. I use a large adjustable wrench. You just want the thing to compress the o-ring a bit. The valve is going to have ~3000psi holding it at the threads. It doesn't need to be cinched down. When you get the doubles assembled, put 100psi or so in the tanks, and dunk the valve and manifold in water and look for bubbles.

The valves are the easy part of this job. It's the manifold bar that's tricky the first couple of times.

this spring I assembled a few sets of doubles, but decided to try a different method to see how it would work.

I assembled the manifold first, getting my width dimensions setup first, then spun the manifold on the first cylinder, and then spun the second cylinder on. I did the first couple of sets by myself, and it was easier to spin the cylinders on with the tanks standing. When someone helped with the other sets, it was extremely easy.

I'm not 100% convinced on this method yet, but I do like this way of screwing on cylinders instead of trying to get the fine threads of the isolator to match up evenly to both cylinder valves. Instead, I could deal with one tank valve at a time with their coarse threads.

YMMV :D

I install the valves first. Then with the tanks laying on the floor (carpeted) I start screwing in the manifold on both valves at the same time. For every 2 rotations of the manifold, I pull the tanks towards me a couple inches. This keeps the tanks in parallel so I don't mess up the manifold. It works for me and the thing gets together in a couple minutes.

wb416:
this spring I assembled a few sets of doubles, but decided to try a different method to see how it would work.

I assembled the manifold first, getting my width dimensions setup first, then spun the manifold on the first cylinder, and then spun the second cylinder on. I did the first couple of sets by myself, and it was easier to spin the cylinders on with the tanks standing. When someone helped with the other sets, it was extremely easy.

I'm not 100% convinced on this method yet, but I do like this way of screwing on cylinders instead of trying to get the fine threads of the isolator to match up evenly to both cylinder valves. Instead, I could deal with one tank valve at a time with their coarse threads.

YMMV :D

I did mine the same way. Spent too much time messing with the isolator. I laid mine down though.

Any reason?
With plenty of them in service worldwide, I haven't heard of any explosions from PP blending with a Halcyon manifold...so I'm assuming they're just fine for it.

Back
Top Bottom