ATTENTION: Gilboa update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Gilboa today... it was 90% free of ice. Entrances at the deep end, ramp, and by the plane were completely open water. Only ice in the quarry was in front of the other two entrances, however, it was only 1/16" thick or so. Apparently there was about 60% ice coverage Friday morning that had mostly cleared by evening.

Water temp was 39-41°F (depending who's computer you believed), so the hour long dive with scooter and Dcostanza was pretty good.

Good to dive there again with the air temp greater than the water temp!

wb

I will be going on the 29th. I hope to enjoy the great vis.

Scott =-)

Wait... ICUROK, when are we leaving?

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

ICUROK once bubbled...
I will be going on the 29th. I hope to enjoy the great vis.

Scott =-)

Great viz?? I heard rumours of great viz on the deep end, but I was pretty disappointed with the viz by the plane and tubes. It was 30ft at best. Going from the plane down to the tubes, I expected to be able to see the bus, but "NO-GO".

We weren't the first ones in that day, so there may have been some fin control issues.

I need to get a dry suit so I can dive under those conditions at gilboa.

The best I have ever had was 30 feet, and I have only been able to see the plane from the bus, and vice versa, only once....that was the day before Thanksgiving in 2001

CWB,
The vis wasn't much better Sunday than when we were there Saturday. Water temp on my computer was pegged at 40 degrees. Had a good dive with Scooter, Tim and a few of Tim's buddies from around the area. Got to dive doubles and I appreciated Scooter staying close in case I needed to be turned right side up. After about 10 minutes, the comfort level started to set in with them. I can see why you like diving doubles!!! I have Tim working up some numbers on a set so when we dive together I'm not the one that turns a dive because I'm diving an al80 (or leaking dry gloves).

It was good diving with you Saturday (even if I felt my dive was a train wreck...)

Best Regards
Don

dcostanza once bubbled...
CWB,
After about 10 minutes, the comfort level started to set in with them. I can see why you like diving doubles!!! I have Tim working up some numbers on a set so when we dive together I'm not the one that turns a dive because I'm diving an al80 (or leaking dry gloves).

...officially, you didn't turn the dive... I did. I think an hour on an AL80 in 40°F water is pretty darn good.

What size doubles did you try, and what size are you considering?

I enjoyed the diving... thanks for coming Saturday!

CWB,
"officially, you didn't turn the dive... I did. I think an hour on an AL80 in 40°F water is pretty darn good"

Thanks for the comments, I was really down on myself all night about how I should've done better, not so much on air but on another issue. That's what I like about shadowing you and Scooter (as you have heard many times previsouly), you both raise my level of diving...and personal expectations.

I have Tim working up some figures on 85's but then I got to thinking about what you and Scooter dive so I asked him to do a work-up on something larger such as 104's. I did try on Tim's rig and was able to carry them with all his other items clipped on. I was surprised. I believe he has 112's???

The gang had a great time trying to get into my head as they told me the "horror stories" about what I should expect diving doubles. I told them I hope I don't disappoint them as they were expecting me to be the entertainment for that dive.:D I figured if something happened that they could go on and pick me up off the bottom when they finished their dive. Heck, I had 85s on and in 30 feet of water, I'd be good for maybe 3-3 1/2 hours, maybe 4 if I just sat there. Just turn me over and pick me up on the way back, until then I would watch the silt and fish. Reminded me of the Suzuki Samarai tire covers I used to see that had the copy upside-down and read "If you can read this,turn me over".:D They all stayed real close in case something happened and until I conveyed that I felt as if I had a fairly good "initial" feeling for the "semi truck on my back". Personally, I liked the challenge...

The bands were set (what I thought) a little high as I felt as if I was in a heads down position until I figured it out and compensated for it. Hopefully this next weekend I'll be able to get more intimate with them as Tim indicated that he might be up again on Sunday and if I would like to use them again.

Best Regards
Don

dcostanza once bubbled...
Thanks for the comments, I was really down on myself all night about how I should've done better, not so much on air but on another issue. That's what I like about shadowing you and Scooter (as you have heard many times previsouly), you both raise my level of diving...and personal expectations.

Well... you've seen how the bantering usually goes between Scooter and I... We don't cut each other any slack, but it's important to have fun too. But we don't beat each other up over things that the other person has already identified and is evaluating (i.e. lift bag episode). Sometimes during the dive we'll call attention to something, but most of the time it can wait until the "After Action Review" (AAR).

Just remember, as part of the team, you have a responsibility to set pacing (slower, pauses, etc) or call out things that you see. Don't hesitate to do so. We are accountable to you also.

Doubles.... you can probably guess what Scooter and I like.:) MikeFerrara and his wife have the same size, and so do other common dive buddies of ours.

Recall that I have a second set of doubles (and wing) that typically is only necessary on trips... My official reason for getting them was dive trips, but my "unofficial" reason was "Buddy Equipment Trials". You can BET it'll be there if you need to try it!:D

There's no excuse not to borrow them or use them... that's what they're for. (Ask Scooter... every piece of equipment I own is "his"....)

Are you available next Saturday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom