Aug 29, night dive: videos of 3 different octopi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems youtube will stream at a higher quality when the HD setting is selected so I posted the rest of the videos for that dive here.

Looks like you had a very lucky night for octos. Love the octo-bitchslap!

Where was the video shot?

We shot it at Caulfield. Just a week prior, during a couple of daytime dives we saw 4 octopi. They were all inactive/asleep. So we decided to do some night dives to catch them while active. On those night dives we got out of the water at around 11pm, but it was worth it given that we caught 3 active "giant" pacific octopi.

Caulfield looks like one of those not-so-well-known sites that does offer pretty decent dives. Kinda reminds me of Furry Creek, which is totally solitary when just down the road at Porteau you can't find a parking spot.

I've dived Caulfield a number of times looking for old bottles etc... Did you see the upside down dinghy? Where were the octos? I've gone around the dock, out in the bay and along the west wall.

Ah, good old Caulfield... that is quickly becoming one of my favorite sites. Every time I go there I see something I've never seen before. Last week there were tons of those cute green pipefish (a first for me) and an otter (out of the water). The time before that we spotted 2 octos in the open as well as a dogfish.

Sweet, nice dive seeing 3 or more octos. I must go dive there, maybe this weekend.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Dale, we were not diving the cove. We were east of the cove. The entry was behind the big commemorative anchor to admiral Caulfield. There are a couple of rock slopes that go into the water. Depending on tides and the sloping rock you chose, you may have to jump to get into the water.

Then you swim out about 100 m towards the centre of the Burrard inlet in the general direction to ubc. You'll find a chain of 20 ft high rock formations. Bottom is at around 45 to 50 ft. The octopi live in these rocks.

If you dive during the day, you'll likely find a lot of fast pwc and boat traffic zipping right above you. Take an smb and make sure you pop it out if you need to surface at that location. Current can be another hazard, so take a $20 bill in case you need to catch a taxi.

Finally, be careful with the headings your compass displays. There seems to be a sort of ferrous deposit somewhere that will affect compass readings. So be mindful of terrain features and depths because they'll help you get back to your exit point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom