Aug 29, night dive: videos of 3 different octopi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did you do the wharf/bay area, the wall acros from the wharf, or the octo area?
For the octo area do you surface swim from the wharf or climb down the rocks from the road? sorry for all the questions.

Les, East of the wharf/bay area there is a park, about 1/4 mile or less. In this park there is an big Anchor. Head straight towards UBC from this anchor and when you hit water, descend and keep going. The reef is not very far out, you will hit it within a few minutes.

Sorry I couldn't get there guys. For some reason, there was an inordinately long lineup for the Portmann Saturday afternoon. While waiting in line, an ambulance zipped by but I didn't see an accident at least in the area I covered. It was almost 5:30 by the time I crossed the Portmann. I turned around at the first exit and headed back home. I called Eric, while on the lineup to tell him I'd not be able to make it. I then tried calling you, Mike, but the person who answered said they didn't know how to contact you. At least you and Eric found each other and were able to do the dives. Did you see any Octos in caves or otherwise?

We had a great couple of dives Slam, sorry you could not make it. I do not have a cell phone so you were most likely talking to my wife or son when you called.

We started the first dive with 5, finished with 3, team seperation due to low vis and it just was not tregrrr's and buddies day so they called it (see above). It was good to meet them though.

The second dive it was just Eric and I and we had a nice 80-90 minute dive. We saw 5 or 6 octos. 3 out in the open. Lots of sculpins. Very nice site that needs more exploring.

Excellent! Any plans for next Saturday. I'll leave home much earlier next time.

Les, East of the wharf/bay area there is a park, about 1/4 mile or less. In this park there is an big Anchor. Head straight towards UBC from this anchor and when you hit water, descend and keep going. The reef is not very far out, you will hit it within a few minutes.

I've not been there yet, but this spot matches the description. Google Maps

(Zoom out to get a good view on the map)

humph murphy.is.a.jerk.need.to.discuss.somethings.with.him...

Ya, I felt bad for you two. We were not sure if we just got seperated or there was more gear trouble. It was just not yours and you buddies day.

This Sat is no good for me. Sunday I am free for diving. Will need to check the tides though as I can see the current potentially ripping through here.

I've not been there yet, but this spot matches the description. Google Maps

(Zoom out to get a good view on the map)

That is it and it is brutal what google maps can do now. You can see where I parked.

Hence the $20 bill. Kevlar gloves also help when trying to claw your way back to shore against fierce currents. I'm not sure how much clawing can those "dishwashing" rubber dry gloves take. :)

Back
Top Bottom