Aug 29, night dive: videos of 3 different octopi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They may be urban legends, but I've heard it from several people. You probably know Kevin, cause you can often find him at Ocean Quest. He drives a gray unique/antique looking Nissan. I think it was him that was telling us about a guy diving Lookout Point that ended up in Horseshoe bay as he was swept by the current. Apparently he had to take a cab back to his vehicle.

I've also heard that every now and then, as you're driving along the sea to sky you can find the occasional guy with full scuba gear on him or around him, and a thumb sticking :thumbs_up: out trying to hitch a ride.

These images are from daytime dives on Aug 22. All 4 octo images are from 4 different individuals and they were all taken the same day. Click on the thumbnails for a larger image:

You start finding a lot of crab shell debris around their dens. Look under nearby nooks and crannies. You'll recognize them by their salmon pink colored arms and round white suction cups. Don't underestimate tiny dark holes, octos are very proficient at squeezing through. It helps not having a skeleton.

Now send me $300 and I'll send you your Octopus Scouting Specialty Certification Card.

. Now send me $300 and I'll send you your Octopus Scouting Specialty Certification Card.

But I already have mine

Slam, you interested in playing tour guide this Sat or Sun evening?

Slam, you interested in playing tour guide this Sat or Sun evening?

Sure. Eric and I were planning on going out to a yet undecided site this coming Sat night. I don't think he'll mind if we make it Caulfield. Laudhi has been out of commission because he blew out his knee playing badminton (must have been a very hard shuttlecock :D). There is a slight possibility that I may not be able to go out this week depending on my wife's beauty parlor appointment time. I have to baby sit while they work on her hair. Hopefully, she'll get the appointment earlier on the day. If not, I'm sure Eric will be more than happy to take on the roll of of guide.

The time of day is not an issue for me so if we need to meet later we can. I will PM you my contact info.

And of course anyone else that wants to come is welcome

So, the wife got the appointment for Saturday morning. That leaves Sat evening open. I was thinking being there at around 5pm. I'll give you a call tomorrow. If anybody else wants to join in, I drive a yellow FJ Cruiser and Eric drives a green Windstar van.

5 pm sounds good, see you there. I drive a red Ford Windstar Van

I dont get home from work till about 9:30 PM on Friday

nice to meet you guys but the 6th person on the dive was the unwanted and infamous Murphy.

Kristie and I ought to have taken our own directions and bailed on the day once we called it.

a comedy of minor gear glitches separated us from the rest of you three and we finally gave in and decided the roast beef dinner was more fetching than we had previously thought.

Will have to run into you guys again sometime when tanks are fuller and gear stays where its supposed to

cheers
GR

Hey tregrrr, the roast beef would be good. Sorry we lost you there. The vis sucked down there and ya it did not take long for our teams to get broken up. We would not have been able to stay together anyway with all 5 of us. We had a job staying together with the 3 of us.

Since there was two divers that bailed and reading this, I wont tell you how good or how bad the dive was (Eric and I did 2 dives) but I will say this, this site needs more exploring and it a worthwhile dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom