August diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings all,

My better half and I will be in Thailand Aug 13-23 and want to get in a couple of dives, as we plan to spend most of the time near or in the water. After perusing the threads on this website, I haven't found much info regarding August. I understand that the weather can be pretty sketchy, which makes the Phi Phi and Similan Islands out of the question, correct?

I've heard that diving in the Gulf in nice in August, and perhaps more reliable than the west coast. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best spot(s) to hit during this unpredictable time of year? Also, any recommendations on reputable dive tours/shops? Due to the length of our trip, a liveaboard isn't much of an option for us this time, unless its a 3 day and affordable.

Also, it's worth mentioning that both of us only have OW certification (not AOW), and I'm new to diving. He has quite a few dives under his belt, so I'm lucky to have an experienced buddy. :) Either way, we don't want to venture into waters that might be challenging. Just looking for a nice, relaxing dive with some great scenery!

Any thoughts or suggestions you all have will be very welcome. Thanks!!

LonghornGal, while the Similans are indeed closed in August, Phi Phi is ready and waiting for you.

The diving at either Phi Phi on the west coast or the islands in the Gulf will be accessible to you as a new diver.

On average in August the weather somewhat rainier in Phuket than in the Gulf islands of Tao and Samui. Phuket typically gets about twice as much rain as Samui does in August, but it rains on about the same number of days (16) and the sun shines on average the same number of hours (6) in both places.

I would recommend Koh Tao this time of year. Fly into Samui and spend one night and then take the Seatran Ferry the next morning. A good selection of dive sites for a variety of skills levels.

Safe travels,

I would tend to agree with Quero. Phi Phi is not as busy at this time and therefore less boats at the sites.

The weather and visibility can be a bit variable as it is traditionally low season at this time of year in this area. Nevertheless, I have had my best dives around Phi Phi during low season. Perhaps it's because the more exciting life has not already disappeared with the onslaught of divers that appear every day during high season.

The diving on Phi Phi will be fine this time of year and a good choice of sites to get you gently back into the water. It was this time of the year, last year, I had my first ever encounter with whale sharks out at Shark Point from one of our boats. Two sharks in one day!!!
All of those sites and more available from Ao Nang, Krabi:D

Thank you all so much for your tips and thoughts! We're going to head to Phi Phi, since it sounds like it is do-able and less busy this time of year. We'll be sure to post any fun photos or happenings from our trip.

Thanks again!!

And phi phi on a bad day is still generally better than a lot of other dive locations in Thailand when at their best.

Back
Top Bottom