Austin Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disclaimer: Not officially a swamper, but the kid was born in Ft. Worth.

PM Doppler to see if he will accommodate your needs while he is in N. Fla. He is like that.

Well worth the trip, I failed his solo first time around, but the South shall rise again!

You could say he died solo diving...

True enough, but a definite contributing factor was the high-velocity lead poisoning.

---------- Post Merged at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:51 PM ----------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, not to delve too deep into things, but what is the motivation for taking the course? Not trying to talk you out of anything or force my views on anyone, but I like to drill-down things to their core and figure them out. I teach a lot of students and they come at me all the time with things they wanna try, or configurations they think are cool, or anything like that, and I always ask one question: "Why?" Then we drill-down the logic to the very end. Sometimes they realize they are being hoodwinked by another shop into spending money on some gadget they don't need, or they are altering their configuration for a silly reason, and they realize that I helped them save some time and money. But a lot of times, they are making a good decision or choice, but they really didn't know WHY they were doing it, they just figured it sounded cool, or the gadget looked cool, or whatever, and I like helping them towards that higher understanding of their own choices, even if those choices would not be mine.

As I said, I'm not trying to change anyone, but merely make better divers, and even if a diver doesn't march to our beat, as long as they are fully aware and in-step with THEIR beat, they're better off.

Now that the overly-long disclaimer is out of the way, "Why do you want to take the course?" Is it truly to start solo diving? Is it to become a more self-sufficient diver, in order to become a better teammate? I ask because I think the name that PADI assigned to their solo course, "Self-Sufficient Diver", (though that may just be a distinctive specialty), is an important distinction. Divers SHOULD be self-sufficient, in the sense that, if you can't take care of yourself, how the heck can you take care of a teammate in trouble? I know plenty of divers who are straight-up DEPENDENT on the stronger diver in the team. This is not a good thing.

I know a husband and wife who dive together. She got into it because of him. He's an instructor and a cave diver, so he's very strong in the water. Meanwhile, she's a disaster. Like Clouseau in the briny deep. If she has a problem, likely no issue. If HE gets in trouble, well, we'll be reading about it here in the A&I forum.

I will admit to being very into solo diving early in my diving career and I've done my share of it. I'm not proud if it, but there it is. I do think the mindset of being prepared, properly equipped and capable of taking care of myself was invaluable to my development as a diver, and my eventual conversion to the team-concept. I was able to meld my ability to be self-sufficient with my commitment to the team.

That said, there can be cases of solo divers not being fully committed to the team. "My gas is my gas", "know when to leave your buddy" or other such bullsh*t are some memes still floating around some corners of the dive world, and I would NOT get into the water with someone who truly, honestly believed that.

I said earlier I would dive with anyone, but if I was paired with a person who truly believed the above, I wouldn't get in the water. "Well, clearly you got it. Knock yourself out. I'll be here, guarding the beer cooler." Whatever is down there will be there tomorrow. Nothing underwater is worth dying for.

Even a "trip of a lifetime" can be done again later. It's only money, I'm gonna make more of it.

If the class is being sought out to be a better diver, a more well-rounded diver, a better teammate, then I think it's worthwhile. I would thoroughly vet my instructor prior to the class. Make sure they're on-point and know their stuff. I would second the recommendation of Doppler. I've heard nothing but good about his courses. I am also under the understanding that Trace Malinowski is also into solo diving, though I'm not sure if he teaches it. I would take a class from Trace in a heartbeat, no question.

Whatever you do, I just want you to be totally sure of the "why" behind it. Even if I might disagree with it, as long as you are informed and educated, I can't say anything and will respect your choice. "Because it sounds cool", or "It seems like a good idea" are poor motivators, and "it really doesn't", and "never is", respectively.

Well said, 50Fathom.

I'll chime in and state, at the risk of being redundant (pun intended), that I chose to move over to the GUE system because of its design and the fact that it is truly a system. Yes, I know there are other systems out there and they work well. I just happened to choose this system. I won't bash anyone, or get into a childish name calling war over a "this way is better, because it's my way" mentality. We all have the right to choose which path we travel in this sport. I chose the GUE way. If you chose the "insert agency here" way, more power to you. I applaud you for sticking with it and learning all you can.

Solo diving? Nah, not for me. But Chrpai is certainly leaning the correct way, IMHO, by seeking out an instructor if he wants to go that route. And I'll be the first to admit that I thought about it, even bought and read the SDI Solo Diver manual. I weighed the options and decided it just wasn't for me.

That said, Chrpai, I apologize for semi-hijacking and not offering an answer to your question...but I just wanted to respond to 50Fathom's post. There are quite a few GUE divers here in Texas that are trying to change the perception of the age old problem with GUE/DIR that started years ago and some people just never have been able to let go of to this day. In the club we have started up here in DFW, we have 6-8 definite divers looking to take GUE Fundamentals. Some to stay in the GUE system and some to simply learn the skills. We have GUE Tech and Cave divers with us and what we have always pushed is this "come out and dive with us before you pass judgement." I have had people completely opposed to GUE come out and dive with us and realize "wait, these are just good ol' boys....they aren't the devil after all (think of Momma from "Waterboy" movie).

Some have said, we understand your system, but it isn't for us.....no harm, no foul. You gave it a fair shake. Others are now more interested. :)

Alright, I've burned up enough eyes with my post! In short, Chrpai, please weigh your options and do what you want...it's your hobby and your life.

Safe dives,

Cyp

Last edited:
IMO, being self reliant, working as a team and having the option to be a team of 1 now and then aren't mutually exclusive. ( I know the latter is to some. )

All three goals are on my list of priorities for future dive training and practice.

Anyways I could have posted this over in the solo divers forum to make sure it doesn't turn into a flamefest but I wanted to get responses from swampers.

IMO, being self reliant, working as a team and having the option to be a team of 1 now and then aren't mutually exclusive. ( I know the latter is to some. )

All three goals are on my list of priorities for future dive training and practice.

Anyways I could have posted this over in the solo divers forum to make sure it doesn't turn into a flamefest but I wanted to get responses from swampers.

I am in the process of working with Matt at Booth Diving now on Tech Courses, and have taken his solo diving course. First off, Matt is the best instructor I have worked with to date, and I have been diving for 24 years and encountered a variety of instruction levels (and even more opinion levels). I fully recommend him to anyone in the Austin area looking to improve their diving skills (classes like the solo or tech nitrox are excellent advanced courses for even recreational divers looking to learn).

As far as the comment regarding solo diving being something to steer clear of - what happens when you lose your buddy? Have to conduct a rescue? etc? Solo diving courses start the mindset of proper planning for single diving, being self reliant underwater, and solving your own issues in the water, which makes you a better buddy any day. As the first aid saying goes - who is the most important person to start administering first aid when you get injured? YOU

Solo diving courses may change your gear a little (H valves, pony bottles) for the better.

The negative commentary on the solo course is like all others (if you go over 1.4 ppO2 you will die, if you dont dive hogarthian during tech, you will die, if your computer starts flashing "missed deco" you will die, if you dive alone, you will die, if you use rebreathers, you will die, etc). Education is never a bad thing, and Matt is an outstanding educator.

I would also recommend Matt as he was my Solo instructor.

I took the solo course with cavemn and would also highly recommend Matt.

I've been thinking about talking to him but hesitated because his website says must be "Elite or Master Diver" certified. I don't feel like chasing a bunch of specialities to go from rescue to `master` (puke). I also don't log my dives so I don't know if that would be an issue with him.

I took the solo course with cavemn and would also highly recommend Matt.

You saying cavemn was your buddy on a solo course ? :wink:

Being prepared to dive solo in Travis is, IMHO an excellent idea.
With the normal viz it's not that difficult to lose someone. If I were to lose one of my tech buddies at depth I wouldn't worry too much about it. They can look after themselves.
I once lost contact with a new(ish) OW diver on a night dive. Had a very anxious 5 minutes waiting for them to surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom