Austin Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking about talking to him but hesitated because his website says must be "Elite or Master Diver" certified. I don't feel like chasing a bunch of specialities to go from rescue to `master` (puke). I also don't log my dives so I don't know if that would be an issue with him.

It's better to just contact him and find out than make an assumption and not really know what's what.

You saying cavemn was your buddy on a solo course ? :wink:

I was scared, Ian! You know how dark and cold that lake is...and those trees! The trees freak me out!! :shocked2:

I don't think I've found the trees yet. I've seen some big stumps, branches, roots and what not but I don't think I've seen the motherload for full on tree / forest. Where would you go from Windy Point? I've been down the line from stair 3 to about 95' to see the boat past platform 8.

I don't think I've found the trees yet. I've seen some big stumps, branches, roots and what not but I don't think I've seen the motherload for full on tree / forest. Where would you go from Windy Point? I've been down the line from stair 3 to about 95' to see the boat past platform 8.

You know where the scoreboard is at the Public Windy Point? (LCRA Park) Just below this is a grotto.Left end of grotto has a thick (1/4 inch??)steel cable attached to it. Follow this cable towards Barstows. You will go past a good sized tree. Keep going to a huge tree. (Maybe 2 feet diameter) At the base of this tree is some cave goldline. This line goes down to the river channel through a forest. When the lake is full depth at the bottom is around 165. Viz can be really bad. Lots of entanglement hazards. Its a spooky place.

I assume the line is still in place, haven't been there in a while.
The Jungle Gym at Mansfield is another site with big trees, but that takes some finding.

I haven't been to the public side yet. Only Richard's. How deep would you say the huge tree is? How far of a swim is it (sections and total)? Sounds like it might be too far for a single tank dive.\\

Getting back to solo diving for a second. This isn't the kind of dive I'd want to plan solo. I'm thinking more like putzing around places like Starnes and Hippie Hollow looking for stuff in the 40' - 25' range.

Keep in mind the Solo course is really Solo for recreational limits. You should go tech if you plan to dive past 60ft solo(not that someone will certify you to do that).

---------- Post Merged at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:17 PM ----------

It's better to just contact him and find out than make an assumption and not really know what's what.

I was scared, Ian! You know how dark and cold that lake is...and those trees! The trees freak me out!! :shocked2:

We held hands the whole way because someone told me there were catfish the size of Volkswagens down there.

We held hands the whole way because someone told me there were catfish the size of Volkswagens down there.

Awww, that's so sweet. :rofl3:

I concur with James - just give Matt a call. He may require Master status for the tech stuff (as he says, he gets to choose who he trains) but for recreational courses like Solo or even the Tech Nitrox I dont think he would have that requirement. I think that requirement is just for those taking their first OW course and then saying "wow, i would like to go to the Doria on my next vacation!!"

Give Matt a call, you will find him personable and accommodating.

At the base of this tree is some cave goldline. This line goes down to the river channel through a forest. When the lake is full depth at the bottom is around 165. Viz can be really bad. Lots of entanglement hazards. Its a spooky place.

I assume the line is still in place, haven't been there in a while.

It's still there :The Line - YouTube

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom