Average age of divers today???

What is your age I am looking for average age of divers today.

• 10yr to 19yr

Votes: 26 2.5%
  • 20yr to 29yr

Votes: 139 13.2%
  • 30yr to 39yr

Votes: 231 22.0%
  • 40yr to 49yr

Votes: 262 24.9%
  • 50yr to 59yr

Votes: 286 27.2%
  • 60yr to 69yr

Votes: 96 9.1%
  • 70yr+ You just cant quit diving.

Votes: 12 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've wanted to dive literally as long as I can remember. I only just recently got to a place where I could afford it. I'm 27. :)

My regular dive buddies run the spectrum from late 20's to early 60's. I'd like to have a couple in their teens, but I don't think I can get the students from this spring back in the water until school lets out :)

Diving, as it is promoted today, is for the majority of people a travel activity. Travel is expensive and requires time. Young people don't have much money and often don't have much vacation, either.

If you are lucky enough to live where I do, diving is a local, relatively inexpensive and year-round activity, which is much easier for young people to get into. And then they marry and start families, and the TIME becomes the limiting factor, and at best, they are vacation divers for a number of years. (That was my husband's trajectory, too.)

In the last three months, Peter has certified at least six people under the age of 20. There IS interest in that age group!

hey there

for a basic information this is quite a good tool but i think on this board it rather tells you the average age of the users than the real percentage of ranges of age really diving out there. but it's nice and interesting to see anyway ;-)

Thomas

I am in the 50-59 group now but started at 13. I usually dive alone and avoid charter dive boats but from what I see when I go into a dive shop is about 40-49.

Most Egyptian divers are between 25 - 35 .

Now if you can do two more surveys for years diving experiance and number of dives per year you might get some data that is interisting.

My own history is started diving at 16, got my cert at 18, really started doing a lot of dives from 25 to 40 and now struggle to make 20 or more dives per year due to work and family at 50.

I have always figured that the majority of new cert divers will be essentially inactive by 3 years, out of the sport by 5 years, and selling the gear that hasn’t been touched in 5 years within 10 years from their original certification.

OP, you'll not only find out there's a dropoff @ 'a younger age' but ALSO there'll be a dropoff in 'the older age' group too---in fact, some of these will just dropoff the face of this earth, lol....

Most Egyptian divers are between 25 - 35 .
That's not surprising, given that Egypt's median age is much younger than that of the United States.

I answered with my own age -- 29. In my very limited experience, divers in my area seem to be mostly in the 25--35 age group.

I wonder if the younger age is because I'm right next to the ocean? It does mean that people don't feel like they need to travel and the cost of equipment seems more worthwhile if you can dive a few times a week as opposed to a few times a year when you travel.

Well as I said I'm 18 and an instructor.

I have been diving since I was 10, and diving with relatives since I can remember.
I have currently logged about 900 dives in 7-8 years.

although some people still seem to think its weird I'm their instructor when I tell them my age..

your age is nothing but a number in my opinion. Its what you know that counts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom