Average Depth Computation in Galileo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have noticed that the displayed "average depth" for a dive on my Galileo is always different from the average depth which is displayed by Smart Trak. Without doing a rigorous analysis, I would say that the average depth reported by the Galileo is about 3' deeper than that on Smart Trak. Can anybody explain why, and which is the more accurate number? My hunch is that Smart Trak is not factoring in time spent on deco/safety stops, but I don't know that. The reason I am interested is that after most of my dives I go through a SAC rate computation, and I would like to know which is the better number to use.

I have noticed that the displayed "average depth" for a dive on my Galileo is always different from the average depth which is displayed by Smart Trak. Without doing a rigorous analysis, I would say that the average depth reported by the Galileo is about 3' deeper than that on Smart Trak.

This is just a guess but the first thing that comes to mind is that they stop "calculating" at different times during the dive.

If the Galileo stopped calculating average depth when you got to your safety stop depth and the Smart Trak stopped calculating only when you got to the surface then you'd see that kind of difference.

In terms of which number to use, the more "conservative" number would be the shallower one so I'd tend to use that.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom