Avoid Tank Ha In Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In general, most dive guides carry very little in terms of signaling devises. If I saw one with an SMB that was more than 1M I would be amazed. Did the boat captain give any reason as to why he left the general area?

As for the tanks falling over. Not surprised as I have dealt with that as well.

One suggestion it sounds as though your wife better exposure protection.

I don't know where you're getting your information but most if not ALL dive guides who are working on a boat where all the dives are drift dives, have not 1 but normally 2 types of signalling devices. As far as the exposure protection, I'll be sure to suggest to my wife that she dive with her dry suit next time we are diving off a boat in 80 degree water!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I depend on myself, not the boat staff. It's a necessity off the Jersey coast. We dive in teams with redundant equipment. When I go to Mexico, I take the same kit minus the lift bag. I'm paying for the boat trip, not a noob DM herding guppies around.

Exactly, I paid for the boat trip not to be left and told to swim to shore. You're my hero!!!

I just got back from an outstanding week of diving off of PDC with Fantaseadive (Jason). What day did you have this experience? We arrived on Saturday the 24th and Jason reported that the port had been closed for three days and he did not go diving at all on those days. He would not go out. The winds shifted the night of the 24th to the Northeast and the weather was outstanding all week long. The sea was flat on one morning! We dove PDC on Sunday the 25th, Monday the 26th, Coz on Wednesday, PDC on Thursday and Gran Cenote and Calaveras (Temple of Doom) on Friday the 30th. BTW, Jason carries a "big sausage" not a little one.

To those who think that PDC is only good for cenote dives...yeah...keep thinking that...The fewer divers the better!

To those who think that PDC is only good for cenote dives...yeah...keep thinking that...The fewer divers the better!

Just a few miles North of PDC near the town of Puerto Morelos, we have spent four of the last five years [while visiting there on vacation] diving about a mile or so off shore. We have found the diving to be great there! Many many rows of coral to see as well as some great wildlife.

I don't know where you're getting your information but most if not ALL dive guides who are working on a boat where all the dives are drift dives, have not 1 but normally 2 types of signalling devices. As far as the exposure protection, I'll be sure to suggest to my wife that she dive with her dry suit next time we are diving off a boat in 80 degree water!!!

I did not say the guides do not carry anything - I said they "carry very little" as in the bare minimum. A 1m SMB is not much given the conditions you described.

Sorry if you took my suggestion about more exposure protection the wrong way. But even in 80 water I wear a 4/3 full length suit. It sounds as though your wife gets cold easy so even though it is 80 degree water some other exposure protection would be in order if she showing signs of hypothermia.

I just got back from an outstanding week of diving off of PDC with Fantaseadive (Jason). What day did you have this experience? We arrived on Saturday the 24th and Jason reported that the port had been closed for three days and he did not go diving at all on those days. He would not go out. The winds shifted the night of the 24th to the Northeast and the weather was outstanding all week long. The sea was flat on one morning! We dove PDC on Sunday the 25th, Monday the 26th, Coz on Wednesday, PDC on Thursday and Gran Cenote and Calaveras (Temple of Doom) on Friday the 30th. BTW, Jason carries a "big sausage" not a little one.

It was 5-18. The port was open 5-18 thru 21 and closed 22-24. Glad you had a good trip.

I did not say the guides do not carry anything - I said they "carry very little" as in the bare minimum. A 1m SMB is not much given the conditions you described.

Sorry if you took my suggestion about more exposure protection the wrong way. But even in 80 water I wear a 4/3 full length suit. It sounds as though your wife gets cold easy so even though it is 80 degree water some other exposure protection would be in order if she showing signs of hypothermia.

Ya think? I suppose we should plan on being left in the water for nearly an extra half hour on the surface in the wind!! BTW she had on a 5mm which under any normal to somewhat abnormal circumstances would have been plenty. Also, the other woman in our group was equally cold and also had on a 5mm.

Ya think? I suppose we should plan on being left in the water for nearly an extra half hour on the surface in the wind!! BTW she had on a 5mm which under any normal to somewhat abnormal circumstances would have been plenty. Also, the other woman in our group was equally cold and also had on a 5mm.

You're in the water an hour, maybe 90 minutes, and are feeling hypothermia? In a 5mm? Be glad you weren't that couple in Australia that had to float for 19 hours before being found.

You're in the water an hour, maybe 90 minutes, and are feeling hypothermia? In a 5mm? Be glad you weren't that couple in Australia that had to float for 19 hours before being found.

No doubt, although not the point of the OP!!! God Bless Scubaboard!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom